Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to go as far as PG-14, but was that match mark a radical change in the PG era as we know it? When WWE first went PG, it was overboard, we had stupid shit like the muppets and 2009 was just awful all together. However slowly slowly its gotten slightly more edgy, then bang you have Lesnar vs Cena. That match would never, ever have happened in 2009. It was brutal, haven't seen anything like that in several years. Blood was pouring out of Cena's head. But that's where my point lies. The blood.

The answer to the role of blood in this match will answer whether it really does mark a change in PG. We saw a bit of blood in Hell In A Cell, but it seemed like a genuine cut on HHH. In Lesanr vs Cena, Cena was legit busted open explaining the doctors running in. That definitely did not seem like a blade job. I heard a few people mention maybe the plan was for Lesnar to be a little stiff. A little stiff? Sure, but not to the level of genuinely making your person cut like that. Then we have Lesnar bleeding. That is the important bit however. That definitely seemed like a blading to me. IF Lesnar really did bleed, then that would mark a huge turn in the PG direction of the product. The commentators were also referring to the blood a lot. When Rhodes got legit busted open, there was heavy editing and no commentator even mentioned it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Totally agree with everything you said. I don't know whether they're coming out of the PG era but I think it's definitely getting more like wrestling used to be!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Vince McMahon said

WWE will remain PG

------

They are slowly getting rid of it

After the loss of Linda McMahon will end PG

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
yeah just recently vince said its remaining PG - But if they can get away with the stuff we saw At ER for "PG" then im ok with them keeping it that way

·
Banned
882 Posts
One match is not a change to PG. They probably won't ever do it again for a long time, they just did it to make Brock look brutal.

Ironically, that was probably never the plan. The blood on Raw was an accident, so they probably didn't plan to use blood until then.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think we are currently viewing a more edgy wwe and have been since Punks Shoot i honestly do belive that promo ushered in a new era, but wheather or not extreme rules 2012 will mark a change in the overall product only time will tell!

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I don't think it marked a change in how WWE have been doing things, I do however thing that it's highly changed the opinion of the anti-PG fans who were so set against it and now they realise that although the product may be based around PG for the most part they can still do awesome/shocking things like this.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Wrestling can still be edgy, have blood, the sex etc. and still be PG.

I feel nowadays the WWE are starting to get the full use out of the PG mark. I mean does anyone remember the Hell in a Cell match between Shawn Michaels and Undertaker and how brutal that seemed? Unprotected steel chair shots to the head, falling off the cell through an announce table, the blood streaming down HBK's face? All PG.

Does anyone remember Stone Cold raising his middle fingers? Raising hell on Raw? All PG. Wrestling can ALWAYS be enjoyable when it's PG, hell, other than the Attitude Era, WWE had always been PG and I loved wrestling before the Attitude Era even came about. For those who remember WCW at it's peak, it was ALL PG yet they were raising the bar!

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I think we are currently viewing a more edgy wwe and have been since Punks Shoot i honestly do belive that promo ushered in a new era, but wheather or not extreme rules 2012 will mark a change in the overall product only time will tell!
Actually since The Rock returned. On his return speech, he went all out with using "ass" so they quit trying to censor harmless words like that.

I'm okay with PG as long as they actually use some of the classic wrestling signatures such as the occasional blood at the climax of a feud or allow profanity. It's 2009 and 2010 that were unbearable with the rated G promos ("I work my butt off for this company" fpalm) and the uselessness of "Hell in a Cell" when it's only there to fit the pointless gimmick PPV.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No unfortunately it's going to stay PG which will probably result in the ratings for raw being under 3.0 for the majority of time continuing the show's + steady decline towards obscurity .

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
It was one occasion and on PPV. Brock is being paid so much they wanted to make him seem like a beast, yet not make Cena look foolish after losing to The Rock and Lord Tensai. At the same time, Cena taking stiff shots showed the world how genuinely tough he is.

Cena won over a smark crowd in Chicago and got a lot of respect the next night...

·
Registered
135 Posts
na its gonna stay pg but on ppv they dont need to be pg so u want more like er u gonna have to buy the ppv
Exactly what I was going to say...there is no need for the PPVs to be PG, just have the blood and the intense action on the PPVs and you sell the extra intensity to the hardcore fans, they are getting something else for their money.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Wrestling can still be edgy, have blood, the sex etc. and still be PG.

I feel nowadays the WWE are starting to get the full use out of the PG mark. I mean does anyone remember the Hell in a Cell match between Shawn Michaels and Undertaker and how brutal that seemed? Unprotected steel chair shots to the head, falling off the cell through an announce table, the blood streaming down HBK's face? All PG.

Does anyone remember Stone Cold raising his middle fingers? Raising hell on Raw? All PG. Wrestling can ALWAYS be enjoyable when it's PG, hell, other than the Attitude Era, WWE had always been PG and I loved wrestling before the Attitude Era even came about. For those who remember WCW at it's peak, it was ALL PG yet they were raising the bar!
Nope, WWE was also in tv 14 in 2002,2003,2004, 2005, and it was pg 13 in 2006 and 2007.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
WWE was PG in 2008, and there was blood, chair shots to the head. It also had 'Taker sending Edge to hell. Didn't sound PG to me, so I think 2012 will still be PG but have some TV-14 moments.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. But those two proved what I've been saying all along: you can be "PG" and still have an edgier, more intense product. WCW at its peak, Smackdown from 2000 onwards, and WWF from 1996-1998 were all under the TV-PG rating. Look it up.
so I think 2012 will still be PG but have some TV-14 moments.
You mean like TV-PG DLV instead of just TV-PG V?

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Nope, WWE was also in tv 14 in 2002,2003,2004, 2005, and it was pg 13 in 2006 and 2007.
Probably worded it wrong.

Many people seem to think that Attitude Era was a success due to it being TV-14 when it probably could of been just as successful with a PG rating!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts