Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Unlucky! Better luck next time!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't on this forum, or any forum, back then and I was just wondering if the response was one of surprise or did people expect it? I, myself, was completely shocked as I assumed " cash in at any time" meant book a match yourself for a PPV or something.

·
Banned
386 Posts
No and anyone who will say they did is likely lying. Just look at the ratings the next night, the record website traffic on WWE.com as well as how shocked the crowd was when Edge showed up and won.

People kind of forgot Edge had the briefcase (in a good way)

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,909 Posts
Edge set the standard with MITB. Granted it had never been done before. But it worked, even though he was conking guys with it each week. Everyone thought, anytime was whenever you asked and set a date. Not, right after a match when the champion is broken and week.

And then RVD set a standard of defending the breifcase and setting a date to cash in.

Both guys worked and since then it's just been watered down rehashes of Edge's cash in. The problem with Edge's first cash in was the fact that Edge was heel but he was cheered the whole way through. People were sick of Super Cena and rightfully so. Now when people do the cash in, it's like MITB can only be won by heels so they can do the now lame cash in when there is really no champion as hated or in need of a dethroning like Cena in 2006.

What would be really shocking is if someone won everything in a year. Win MitB at MITB, then win the Rumble and then MitB at Mania. So you have 3 shots at the title. Just for the hell of it.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
not at all

it was a legitimately, surprising, shocking and just flat out good moment in wrestling

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
I remember reading the posts on here that night. People were literally shitting bricks of happiness. Cause this was all during the Super Cena reign, which was when John Cena was the fucking anti-christ on here.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I wasnt around either, but i'd imagine it was like the second coming of jesus. Hell, it was probably more epic. Mega Super Cena, overcoming the odds, yet again in an elimination chamber. Beating super smark favorites Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle. And then, comes underrated Edge, like a beam of light from the shadows. Never held a world title. Controversial. Cutting Edge. Anti Cena.

Spear. Spear.

We have a new world champion. Edge.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wasnt around either, but i'd imagine it was like the second coming of jesus. Hell, it was probably more epic. Mega Super Cena, overcoming the odds, yet again in an elimination chamber. Beating super smark favorites Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle. And then, comes underrated Edge, like a beam of light from the shadows. Never held a world title. Controversial. Cutting Edge. Anti Cena.

Spear. Spear.

We have a new world champion. Edge.
And after all that inside the chamber, it still took 2 spears from edge to put cena down for the 3 count.. I swear, cena was the roach that wouldnt die during this time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
No. But, it was a wee bit odd the way the chamber went, and even the people who took part:

John Cena vs Kane vs HBK vs Angle vs Carlito vs Masters

Did have a slight hint of 'eh?' about it, and in a time where PPV's usually lasted their proper allotted time, looking at the clock and seeing that we still had a bit of time left was not quite an indication as such, but a little odd.

But boy did I fucking mark.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Nope.And I don't remember anybody on any forums or any dirtsheet writers predicting it,so it was very cleverly booked.

The next shocking,unforeseen moment would be John Cena's return during the Royal Rumble 2008.

·
On Edge
986 Posts
Looking back there are clues throughout the night (I think he did a promo backstage that hinted something)but anyone who says they weren't shocked is lying.

And yes, the IWC went into meltdown afterwards.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I was there live when it happened. No one expected it. I will tell you from the time Cena walked out into the cell til' when he won, (reguardless of dvd edit) all the fans were booing him. Thunderous boos the whole time. It was nuts! Then Vince annouced Edge cashing it, huge surprise. Huge pop for Edge back when he was a heel and even bigger when he won the title. One of my favorite wrestling moments that I can remember.

Short answer - I did not expect it.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,909 Posts
I hate the hindsight thing. Like when the guy said well his match with Flair was short. So what? Next you're gonna tell me that 9/11 was telegraphed...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not at all. I was pretty pissed that Cena won the EC match because I was pulling for my boy Kurt. I marked the hell out when Edge won, and it takes a lot for me to mark out these days.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I hate the hindsight thing. Like when the guy said well his match with Flair was short. So what? Next you're gonna tell me that 9/11 was telegraphed...
Nah, the hindsight thing is great. What it shows is that WWE were able to drop himts which were so subtle that nobody saw them for what they were but which made total sense after the fact. So much better than a shock for it's own sake, eg. Rikishi running over Austin.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know if the short Edge/Flair match would be a legitimate clue, even in hindsight. I mean, I don't think it would take long to prepare for what's essentially a 2 minute beatdown.

In answer to the original question, nope I didn't expect it. I called it only when Vince came out and cut the short promo before introducing Edge.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Kurt Angle winning the Title at SmackDown! in the same week was pretty shocking too even with SmackDown! always having spoilers alot of people, such as myself per example, didn't see it coming.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts