Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion on this?

It seems that when a new star comes in the WWE at the minute, they are given a stand out gimmick then put in pointless 2 minute matches, that gains them easy wins.
No storylines, No real Promo time.
Week in, Week out.
Example: Brodus, Sandow, Cesaro, Ryback......

Do you like this this style?
Or would you prefer for them to be slowly introduced, have some competitive matches, win some lose some.

I myself would prefer them all to come on the scene, get some longer matches and lose to bigger oponents, gain some respect from the crowd then build there way up.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I want them to have real characters like Sandow AND to have real match.It's maybe strange but see someone squash isn't impressive to me.
If someone wins a 20 minutes,I will rather see
if he is a face "Wow ! This guy is good.No matter what he takes,he always come back ! Love that guy"
If he is a heel " WOW ! This is guy is invincible or what ? No matter what it takes,he always come back ! Who will stop that guy ?! "

More characters and more real match to me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I definitely prefer a long, real match that the young up and coming star loses in style or wins, to a squash match. It puts a young star over to give an established star a run for his money, than to squash a scrawny punk no one has ever heard of. You also get a better idea of their wrestling style in an actual match situation as opposed to just showing off offensive moves all day.

Squash matches can be used, but I prefer them to be used very sparingly and for story purposes more than filling time or introducing new talent purposes. Just my opinion/taste.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I am not a fan of these squash matches I must say, feels like I am watching old school "WWF Wrestling Challege" that old show was all about sqaush matches :p

·
Best there ever will be..
4,221 Posts
I don't mind the squashes with Ryback, since his selling feature is his power moves and ability.

The others have gimmicks more in line with their personality and need to let it shine in promos. Sandow was given vignettes before he debuted and then talks before each "match", which I think works well. The problem is we just see him do some knee strikes, russian leg sweep and then a neck breaker. His in-ring styling and mannerisms suit the character perfectly, and having longer matches will only help for that to connect with the audience. He's getting good TV time for a new guy and plenty of promo time as well. Ryback and himself are the only ones being handled well outside of either not having a real storyline, but at least they're getting character development (Sandow) or momentum (Ryback).

The only one of them in a storyline is Cesaro and that's more of a Teddy storyline than anything. Even then it's only brought up once every two or three weeks anyhow. They bring up a handful of guys and just let them flounder instead of throwing them in immediate feuds, which each other if they have to, to at least give them something the fans can get interested in. Let's be honest, the vast majority of the audience prefer storylines over in-ring ability, so how are these guys really getting over with the crowd in random squash matches?

WWE in general is seemingly getting away from promos outside of the top guys and I think it's a mistake, especially with these new guys. How else are they supposed to get over?

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mind the squashes with Ryback, since his selling feature is his power moves and ability.

The others have gimmicks more in line with their personality and need to let it shine in promos. Sandow was given vignettes before he debuted and then talks before each "match", which I think works well. The problem is we just see him do some knee strikes, russian leg sweep and then a neck breaker. His in-ring styling and mannerisms suit the character perfectly, and having longer matches will only help for that to connect with the audience. He's getting good TV time for a new guy and plenty of promo time as well. Ryback and himself are the only ones being handled well outside of either not having a real storyline, but at least they're getting character development (Sandow) or momentum (Ryback).

The only one of them in a storyline is Cesaro and that's more of a Teddy storyline than anything. Even then it's only brought up once every two or three weeks anyhow. They bring up a handful of guys and just let them flounder instead of throwing them in immediate feuds, which each other if they have to, to at least give them something the fans can get interested in. Let's be honest, the vast majority of the audience prefer storylines over in-ring ability, so how are these guys really getting over with the crowd in random squash matches?

WWE in general is seemingly getting away from promos outside of the top guys and I think it's a mistake, especially with these new guys. How else are they supposed to get over?
^ Pretty much this.
Repped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts