Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a co-worker who flat out told me that he's "suffering from depression and anxiety." I don't know what that means. Where I was born and raised, such words weren't even in my vocabulary. If I was to tell my grandma "I'm depressed" she would slap me in the face and tell me to man the fuck up.

I used to think, "there is no such thing as depression, you're just being weak" whenever I would get down like after a break-up or some earth-shattering event which would force me into a haze of misery and emotional pain.

Everyone experiences the world differently and I don't mean to be offensive in anyway. It's just sometimes I feel like people use those words as an excuse to not do something. Maybe I'm wrong -- I have no fucking idea what goes on in people's heads.

Can anyone share personal information about this? How it feels like? Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain? I don't want to say anything wrong around him after he mentioned that

·
KAMEHAMEHA!
18,178 Posts
There was a time I would've categorized myself as depressed (this was a long time ago), although looking back, it was rather something I cultivated to try and explain a sense of loss that had happened at the time. Perhaps rather than move on, I preferred to linger with the trace of a feeling I didn't want to accept had moved on.

Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain? Maybe. However, I think this is more correlative than causative as most brain-related things are to our personal experience. Our vivid memory and the capacity to imagine potential futures can snowball one's situation by creating thought patterns that are hard to break.

I have heard many interpretations for depression, but a very good definition I came across was that your own intelligence had turned against you. From my personal experience, that was true. If you can detach from your thoughts, even momentarily, the feeling will slowly subside and it will be witness to subsiding, empowering you in a way that can't really be explained in words.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
When my Dad died I had severe depression.

I would describe it as feeling empty and constantly hopeless. I couldn't concentrate on the easiest tasks like playing the PlayStation or cooking meals, I just wanted to lock myself away and sleep.

Gradually with the help of my Mrs, Brother and Dogs I learned to cope with the pain.

·
Premium Member
16,586 Posts
Not much of a rant.

I don't believe 90% of people who say they have anxiety/depression. They don't. They're normal, scared, maybe lazy, and curious people. It's ok to be all these things. You don't have to excuse it with a self diagnosis. If you see a professional therapist who clinically diagnoses you, then you can say so.

I had a brother with depression; he overdosed and died. When I met someone who says they don't like clubbing or that they want to go home early, followed with "because I have anxiety" I think less of them. Don't excuse your behavior. It's not a problem; it's what you like & don't like.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That
Not much of a rant.

I don't believe 90% of people who say they have anxiety/depression. They don't. They're normal, scared, maybe lazy, and curious people. It's ok to be all these things. You don't have to excuse it with a self diagnosis. If you see a professional therapist who clinically diagnoses you, then you can say so.

I had a brother with depression; he overdosed and died. When I met someone who says they don't like clubbing or that they want to go home early, followed with "because I have anxiety" I think less of them. Don't excuse your behavior. It's not a problem; it's what you like & don't like.
That last paragraph is ignorant as fuck. I hope you're not this much of a moron.

Mental heath is no joke and usually starts from traumatic events from when someone is young. Its not as easy as flipping on a switch and then everything is ok. If you havent experienced it yourself then you can never truly understand. Even experts dont fully understand.

The anxiety someone feels from certain issues is nothing like someone who doesnt. Looking down on people for not wanting to go clubbing or whatever the fuck makes you look like a jackass whether they have issues or not. Theres clearly a reason they dont want to do it.

Going clubbing doesnt make you more of a person whatsoever.

Im sorry about your brother and I'm sure you have some anger there but you have no idea whats going on in anybodys head at a certain time. Not everybody is the same.

What happened to your brother, I would hope that one day it teaches you to be more openminded towards people. Nobody chooses to have the fears that they have and its something that needs to be worked on, just as much as your own personal issues need to be worked on.

I have been diagnised with mental health issues and I've lived a good life but its been a battle and when my mask falls off the world can be a nightmare. We all have problems in life and I'm not looking for a pitty party at all. I will just say that those with issues I respect a lot because just getting out of bed everyday is dreadful.

·
Premium Member
16,586 Posts
That

That last paragraph is ignorant as fuck. I hope you're not this much of a moron.

Mental heath is no joke and usually starts from traumatic events from when someone is young. Its not as easy as flipping on a switch and then everything is ok. If you havent experienced it yourself then you can never truly understand. Even experts dont fully understand.

The anxiety someone feels from certain issues is nothing like someone who doesnt. Looking down on people for not wanting to go clubbing or whatever the fuck makes you look like a jackass whether they have issues or not. Theres clearly a reason they dont want to do it.

Going clubbing doesnt make you more of a person whatsoever.

Im sorry about your brother and I'm sure you have some anger there but you have no idea whats going on in anybodys head at a certain time. Not everybody is the same.

What happened to your brother, I would hope that one day it teaches you to be more openminded towards people. Nobody chooses to have the fears that they have and its something that needs to be worked on, just as much as your own personal issues need to be worked on.

I have been diagnised with mental health issues and I've lived a good life but its been a battle and when my mask falls off the world can be a nightmare. We all have problems in life and I'm not looking for a pitty party at all. I will just say that those with issues I respect a lot because just getting out of bed everyday is dreadful.
I have no idea why you quoted me. You're agreeing with me. People who fake anxiety are bad. They don't understand anxiety but say they have it because they don't want to do something.

You're diagnosed. I don't claim to understand anxiety or claim your bad, wrong, weak, or lying. If you're not diagnosed and claim to understand it then you're an asshole.

If what I said was ignorant then what you said was, too. We're saying the same thing

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Can anyone share personal information about this? How it feels like? Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain? I don't want to say anything wrong around him after he mentioned that
I've suffered from depression for over 20 years but I don't really wanna share my experiences of having and dealing with depression but I wouldn't worry about saying something wrong, it's the outright dismissing of what he tells you that you shouldn't do. If he takes something the wrong way then just explain yourself. No reasonable person's going to hold shit against you that you don't understand.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not much of a rant.

As a therapist I would say that you are making huge assumptions there without any actual evidence. Diagnosis also doesn't say much because the whole premise is subjective; if one psychiatrist diagnoses you with a condition you can guarantee that the next will not. I think we need to get away from labelling and focusing on how someone experiences the world around them. Most people don't want to feel shit so you have to ask whether they choose not to make changes or whether they actually have the skills necessary to make changes. Being able to 'cope' in one situation doesn't mean that a person can generalise those skills into other areas of their lives (for example, having a decent job doesn't mean you can use skills involved in a work place in home life areas).

Who are you to tell someone that they don't have a problem? Just curious because unless you can feel their internal experience it is a huge assumption. Therapists start from a position that everyone is trying their best in this moment. It may look like the person isn't trying or doesn't want to try but why would anyone opt not to be happy and thrive? It makes no sense.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So I have a co-worker who flat out told me that he's "suffering from depression and anxiety." I don't know what that means. Where I was born and raised, such words weren't even in my vocabulary. If I was to tell my grandma "I'm depressed" she would slap me in the face and tell me to man the fuck up.

I used to think, "there is no such thing as depression, you're just being weak" whenever I would get down like after a break-up or some earth-shattering event which would force me into a haze of misery and emotional pain.

Everyone experiences the world differently and I don't mean to be offensive in anyway. It's just sometimes I feel like people use those words as an excuse to not do something. Maybe I'm wrong -- I have no fucking idea what goes on in people's heads.

Sounds like you are fragilizing the person.

There is some evidence that (particularly with emotional fluctuations) that the limbic and frontal lobes have a part to play in management of emotions in some groups.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts

Excuse my blunt tone, but funnily enough there are a world of scientific studies, programs, documentaries etc at your fingertips that will tell you more about mental illnesses that what you'll find on a wrestling forum.

Perhaps then you'll get some more insight than just 'feeling' it's an excuse when people say they have anxiety and depression. Mental illnesses are completely real things, they affect people on a day to day basis to differing degrees.

I would say from personal experience it's feeling incredibly down and hopeless and you can't see any reason why. It's a sinking feeling for me in my gut, the only words I can put to it is it's like suffocating in the slowest possible way you can. It's horrible. For me a part of it was the meds I take for epilepsy - some of them have frightening mood effects.

Now I'm on a good antidepressant which has curbed those symptoms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts