Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking on WWE being a monopoly in the wrestling business.

"It's horrible for the business, but you cannot blame that company. That company is doing what a company is supposed to do—monopolize, get the best talent from everywhere, and try to destroy the competition. They're smart, you cannot blame them. The problem is with the talent. Just going there to be there with the promise of being on TV, but not even charging good money for your work, is not good business. We as wrestlers need to remember that this is a business. We started because we love the business and we stay in it because we have a lot of passion for it, but you have to be rewarded for your work. I was there and saw some of the main guys, new top heels and new top babyfaces, get paid nothing for their matches. The new talent joining NXT is taking pay cuts to work there, sometimes even 80 percent less. You need to be rewarded for your work in a business."
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...o-el-patron-on-wwe-monopoly-on-pro-wrestling/

He is right. WWE is doing what they are meant to, and what is in their interests. Still shitty for the wrestlers.

Its no wonder when guys like Omega, the Bucks, Zack Sabre Jr, Ibushi, Okada, etc; are turning down WWE. Seems like they are giving out shitty contracts to new wrestlers in NXT. Also explains why guys like Omega said they would never want to go through NXT. I thought it was strictly about booking but it might be because NXT contracts are trash.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
And yet WWE hires new wrestlers every few months and TONS of wrestlers have said they want to work for WWE because of that old "its my dream" thing. Did you ever stop and think maybe they don't give a fuck about the money they're earning, they want to work for WWE and presumably they know they are getting less but they don't care because they want to work for WWE

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And yet WWE hires new wrestlers every few months and TONS of wrestlers have said they want to work for WWE because of that old "its my dream" thing. Did you ever stop and think maybe they don't give a fuck about the money they're earning, they want to work for WWE and presumably they know they are getting less but they don't care because they want to work for WWE
Yeah, a lot of these wrestlers are marks for the WWE name and care more about being able to say "I work for WWE" than actually making money.

Still some real ones out there that know what it is really all about though.

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
If you get hurt in a wwe ring you are paid your low level guarantee, pay for the medical and pay for the rehab. You get hurt in the indies and you're right fooked.

NXT you're making at least $40K a year, so if somebody took a 80% paycut Del Rio is saying they'd make $200K a year on the indies? Very few could do that. Maybe he's talking about Impact offers versus what guys like Roode, Young signed for in NXT - is the former TNA even offering that kind of money anymore in their contracts? Not to mention they were very possibly going out of business before Anthem bought them, so the contracts wouldn't have been worth the paper they were printed on.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you get hurt in a wwe ring you are paid your low level guarantee, pay for the medical and pay for the rehab. You get hurt in the indies and you're right fooked.

NXT you're making at least $40K a year, so if somebody took a 80% paycut Del Rio is saying they'd make $200K a year on the indies? Very few could do that. Maybe he's talking about Impact offers versus what guys like Roode, Young signed for in NXT - is the former TNA even offering that kind of money anymore in their contracts? Not to mention they were very possibly going out of business before Anthem bought them, so the contracts wouldn't have been worth the paper they were printed on.
Most of the guys in the Cruiserweight Classic and in the UK tournament signed deals for 20k - 30k.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
Yeah, a lot of these wrestlers are marks for the WWE name and care more about being able to say "I work for WWE" than actually making money.

Still some real ones out there that know what it is really all about though.

So you think all wrestlers should follow Big Sexy's outlook and make cash instead of fulfilling ones dreams :bjpenn

I fall on the side of "do what makes YOU happy and fuck everyone else" That's why I love the Bucks for making money hand over superkick and doing thing their way. Also why I love Naka for giving up NJPW in order to fulfil his dreams.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
It's not always about the money papi :draper2

Now go dance around in the indy's where you shake hands with all your opponents while the sheep of a crowd chants 'This is Awesome' at the sight of any physical contact. Win all the titles you want but at the end of the day you know you fucked up the opportunity you once had to work in what many consider their end goal and the land of their dreams, to become a champion in the biggest promotion in all of sports entertainment.

Let that sink in, salty papi.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you think all wrestlers should follow Big Sexy's outlook and make cash instead of fulfilling ones dreams :bjpenn

I fall on the side of "do what makes YOU happy and fuck everyone else" That's why I love the Bucks for making money hand over superkick and doing thing their way. Also why I love Naka for giving up NJPW in order to fulfil his dreams.
Nah, I wouldnt say that.

If someones dream is WWE, then they should go for it. But they should do it when the time is right. Build your name up elsewhere, make a lot of money, and then get brought into WWE as a big deal.

Signing a shitty deal and starting at the very bottom in WWE doesnt seem like a great way to achieve your dreams of success in WWE to me. If anything it seems that you are less likely to succeed than if you made your name elsewhere first. How many main event stars in WWE that came up in recent years have done it through WWE only? Maybe Reigns, and thats it.

You have to go back to the days of Cena, Orton, Miz, etc; coming up to find guys who found success that way.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
I see a bigger problem in Triple H hiring people aged 35+ as the focal point of his developmental show. Don't see any problem in them hiring people who actually want to be there and aren't phoning it in for the money (like ADR used to do) as long as they're young talents
You want new young talent to work with experienced wrestlers so they can get better. Inexperienced younger talent aren't goign to get better working with people the same level. It's important to any pro wrestler dating back decades to work with the older talent to learn from. Also, the older talent gets a chance to get their feet wet and work the WWE style of wrestling before moving onto the main roster. It's a win-win for everyone involved, its wrestling 101

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
if true I dont see the problem, wwe is offering the deal, the wrestlers are accepting it, its not like wwe are forcing them at gun point to work matches for low wages nor are they tricking them into thinking they will earn more.

this would be a valid criticism if wwe were say lying to talent too get them through the door then only giving them 20% but the wrestlers clearly know they will be taking less.

sometimes you have to sacrifice the money for the hope of making it big down the road where you will make more.

·
Bless you.
1,794 Posts
Fuck you, Del Rio. You are just promoting TNA. This motherfucker had one of the best contracts in the Pro Wrestling Industry, net grossing some like 1.5 million/year for a reduced schedule like he had when with the WWE.

According to Forbes, a guy like Simon Gotch earned 175k per year while he was with the company. Even an irrelevant wrestler like Gotch made a good salary IMHO. Many people would love to make even 25% of it in a year. Kevin Owens alone bills on a perfect 900k + Travel and accommodation expenses, so clearly higher than 1 million per year.

NXT is NXT. We can consider it the intern's section of WWE.

Del Rio will take every chance he gets to shit on WWE, not that they don't deserve it but the critics would have more credibility if they were made by a guy like Cody.

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
Didn't we see some significant pay rises on the PC specials, the AA guys going up to 80k IIRC or maybe it was Apollo.

Only big big names make more than that on the indies even.

And we know that guys like Balor and Nak were signed to huggggge deals even for NXT, main roster money well into the 6 figures.

Ultimately, Del Rio is throwing more shit to see what sticks.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
You want new young talent to work with experienced wrestlers so they can get better. Inexperienced younger talent aren't goign to get better working with people the same level. It's important to any pro wrestler dating back decades to work with the older talent to learn from. Also, the older talent gets a chance to get their feet wet and work the WWE style of wrestling before moving onto the main roster. It's a win-win for everyone involved, its wrestling 101
Yes, fair enough, but no point in having these experienced wrestlers be the only people challenging for their title.
Just a reminder that all of the people who main evented take overs for the past 14 months were 35+ years old. Don't see the point in this :shrug

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
As soon as you've become a WWE wrestler, if you leave you will make more money than average on the Indie circuit. Worth it.
Or, not be a cunt and do well in the WWE, suck Vince off and earn 100x more per year. :vince5

·
Registered
441 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't wrestlers travel less and work fewer dates when they are in NXT? Oftentimes, in the work world, people changing professions take a pay cut to start out in another industry before they can work their way up to a higher level and more pay. It's not like the aforementioned wrestlers joining NXT aren't adult males and females knowingly signing contracts with the hopes of better prestige and better pay in the future.

·
Premium Member
11,138 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't wrestlers travel less and work fewer dates when they are in NXT? Oftentimes, in the work world, people changing professions take a pay cut to start out in another industry before they can work their way up to a higher level and more pay. It's not like the aforementioned wrestlers joining NXT aren't adult males and females knowingly signing contracts with the hopes of better prestige and better pay in the future.
They do travel less and work fewer live events. They also have travel & hotel expenses covered for them when they are on the road, which isn't a luxury afforded to the main roster talents.

Reactions: The Traditionalist

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
They also have travel & hotel expenses covered for them when they are on the road, which isn't a luxury afforded to the main roster talents.
Which I think is bullshit, a company the size of WWE should easily be able to pay for their talents travel expenses. I used to have to travel for my old job, and everything travel related was paid for, gas, hotels, food, tolls, vehicle maintenance etc.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts