Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people throw around the words "Charisma," "Mic Skills," "Character," "In-Ring work," etc. And these words are very subjective in nature. So tell me what the following words mean to you, and what are good cases that exhibit excellence in it (Any talent that exemplifies it, significant moments, etc.) And then rate them in order of importance.

Charisma-

Mic Skills-

In-Ring Work-

Psychology-

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Charisma is basically just how entertaining they are.

Mic skills is how they are on the mic. Since many wrestling promos are just improvised but having to stay on topic, it's just the superstars ability to talk on the mic and either get ppl cheering for them or booing them.

In ring work is exactly how it looks. It's talking about how good a wrestler is inside the ring. Since wrestling is scripted, the people have to do the moves themselves and carry on a match for a certain amount of time. They don't get told every single move to preform in the 5-15 minutes they're wrestling, they just get told the major points in the match like going outside the ring right before a commercial break or how a match ends, the rest is up to the wrestlers in a match.

Don't really know what psychology is though

·
Resident Old Man
3,677 Posts
I see a lot of people throw around the words "Charisma," "Mic Skills," "Character," "In-Ring work," etc. And these words are very subjective in nature. So tell me what the following words mean to you, and what are good cases that exhibit excellence in it (Any talent that exemplifies it, significant moments, etc.) And then rate them in order of importance.

Charisma-ability to engage the crowd

Mic Skills- ability to talk and get your point across without sounding dumb or sounding like you are reading a script

In-Ring Work- ability to put on a good match without looking like you are going by a script or looking dumb

Psychology- ability to get the crowd emotionally involved during the match.

I could be more wordy, but that is basically it.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Psychology is the ability to tell a story in the ring. When a fight starts, both guys are fresh. They have their emotional and physical differences, but both men are fresh. As the fight goes on their characteristics manifest and their "HP" drains. Examples are when DBD suicide dived against ADR in KOTR and his arm was down. It is the last fully intact vestige of kayfabe. Can the workers make the audience think they're legit injured? Is the finish to this match is believable?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Charisma- Someone whos very presence and outer criteria is entertaining to all senses

Mic Skills- someone who will make you believe anything in the way they say it

In-Ring Work- /workrate aka how much creativity athleticism, realism, lack of punches kicks restholds and headlocks, time, effort and sportsmanship goes into your matches

Psychology-something that would make anyone think, make eveything eventful and purposeful in expression, word and deed during a match

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Charisma- What John Morrison lacks

Mic Skills- What John Morrison lacks

In-Ring Work- What John Morrison lacks

Psychology- What John Morrison lacks

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Charisma- Overall stage presence and the ability to leap out of people's screens while they're watching.

Mic Skills- Being able to put on a memorable and creative promo, with good delivery and displaying emotion appropriately.

In-Ring Work- Having the ability to work a match with just about any opponent of any size and style, using 'cool' moves, having good execution and looking like you truly belong in that ring. Bonus points for being a safe guy who doesn't dunk people on their heads.

Psychology- Telling a great story throughout your match, whether it's as simple as 'go for the legs' or something like Wrestler A beats Wrestler B in a match of one-upmanship, Wrestler B makes a comeback yadda yadda.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
Charisma- a certain magnetism that draws you in and makes you pay attention. Best examples: The Rock, Andre, Hogan, Cena, Jake the Snake (and I’d argue Bret Hart).

Mic Skills- the ability to speak in front of the crowd with confidence and in an entertaining way. It also includes the ability to improvise. Examples: The Rock, Chris Jericho, Jesse Ventura, Stone Cold

In-Ring Work- athletic ability. Making the moves look painful and convincing. Complexity of the moves. Examples: Chris Benoit, Dynamite Kid, Bret Hart, Eddie Guerrero

Psychology- Being able to tell a story in the ring. Being able to keep the fans emotionally invested in the outcome. Examples: Jake the Snake, Jericho, Punk

In order of importance (for me): In ring work, charisma, psychology, mic skills

It's pretty obvious that Daniel Bryan is the best in ring worker in the WWE right now. His mic skills haven't blown me away but I couldn't care less because every time I see him wrestle he has my undivided attention.

Del Rio oozes charisma and his in ring work is superb. The only thing he's really lacking is his mic skills but it won't hold him back. Ted Dibiase is the least charismatic wrestler IMO. Whenever I see him my eyes glaze over.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Charisma- An overall Energy/Aura to a character. Not the same as mic skills- Guys like Jeff Hardy or Ultimate Warrior are A+ charisma, but lacking in some other areas. probably the most broadly defined characteristic, but also the most important. Like Undertaker has a shitload of charisma, but isn't acting crazy. It is whatever you need to do to make your character stand out to the fans. Combination of look, energy, swag, whatever you put in the presentation package.

Mic Skills- Public speaking ability basically. Ablity to speak, and not come offf like a dumbass wrestler trying to act and failing by sounding like you are reading off a script. Also ability to outshine whoever is on the other mic. Nash and HHH have great mic skills because they are actually intelligent, and can get over by verbally dressing down opponents and coming off as more intelligent.

In-Ring Work- Ability to put on an entertaining match. Be it mat technique, spots, whatever. To wrestlers it is different, good workers are safe workers, but to me as a fan I only care about being entertained, let RVD potato everyone for all I care.

Psychology- 80% Bullshit. Used to be very important when Kayfabe was very strong, and people were believing the matches. Also when people got more time in the matches it was more doable. In todays era, where the maximum you ever get is a 30 min match, and the storylines only last a few weeks because there i so much TV time, and so many PPV's, it is rare that there is a feud hot enough where psychology matters. HBK taker was one. Cena- nexus could have been one, if it hadnt turned into a joke. They gradually shifted away from psychology over the last 20 years, and began to focus more on stunts and athletic feats (i.e. visually entertaining action), which i felt was smart, But since the PG era, they have attempted to go back in that direction, and IMO it has just translated to boring TV and accentuates the fakery, because the public's attention spans, and the knowledge of what wrestling really is has changed.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Charisma-

Mic Skills-

In-Ring Work-

Psychology-
Charisma The natural attraction of a wrestler. Their charm. A charismatic wrestler is one who's actions and words seem more appealing, more exciting, simply because of the individual to whom they are attached. You are automatically more invested in a naturally charismatic wrestler, much like to you are drawn to a naturally charismatic person. Best examples - Hogan, Flair, SCSA.

Mic Skills The ability of a wrestler to voice act. The better the skills, the more convincing the words being said. A wrestler with good mic skills comess across as believable and engaging. The words being spoken seem natural and unscripted. To an extent, there is an element of mic skills that is natural to the performer, and cannot be learnt. John Morrison, no matter his improvement, simply does not have the tone of voice that lends itself to credibility. SCSA, on the other hand, has a voice suited to a believable persona. Best examples - Rock, Vince, Cena.

In-Ring Work The ability to work varying types of matches scaling the gamut of wrestling styles. A great ring worker can put on an entertaining show not only with a fellow good worker, but with an average worker as well. Moves appear smooth and fluid, bumps are sold appropriately and intelligently, and the match as a whole is encaptivating. Not only limited to mat wrestlers - big men can often be superior in-ring workers to high flyers and grapplers. Best examples - Angle, Benoit, Danielson.

Psychology The ability to tell a story throughout the match. Matches aren't all about spots. There are very few good storytellers in the WWE - it could also be argued that there aren't an awful lot of matches that lend themselves to decent match development. However, this is not an excuse. A match with good psychology is easy to describe afterwards. You can tell the story of the fight to a friend; this can often prove difficult to do for the majority of fights. Matches or feuds that demonstrate good in ring psychology are invariably remembered far more extensively than ones that don't. Best examples - Steamboat, HKB, Taker.

Rate them in order of importance.

1) In ring ability. Can't get near the ring without certain ability in some style.

2) Charisma. Natural charisma draws.

3) Mic skills. Helps to get you over, especially if lacking in charisma. Won't get a mic before you can wrestle, and you can get by without if you have charisma.

4) Psychology. A trait present only in the elite.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Charisma- is a trait found in individuals whose personalities are characterized by a powerful charm and magnetism (attractiveness), along with innate and markedly sophisticated abilities of interpersonal communication and persuasion. One who is charismatic is said to be capable of using their personal being, rather than just speech or logic alone, to interface with other human beings in a personal and direct manner, and effectively communicate an argument or concept to them.

Mic Skills- the ability to speak well on the microphone.

In-Ring Work- is a form of fortified defensive structure, usually circular or oval in shape.

Psychology- the ability to think faster when someone's gonna hit me. Is the science of mind and behavior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts