Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to throw this out here for us to debate about, not argue about but just a small debate.. Please I dont wanna cause flaming and trolling or arguing id just like some opinions on this, etc. Im sure some of you have kids as well, so there should be plenty of sides to the story...

Im trying to make this short so its mainly about the brutality of some matches/events and fans bringing their children to the show, fully aware ( you would think ) of the title of the ppv/matches/feuds/gimmicks.. Just like Extreme rules, with 2 guys in a ER match.. Unless they missed Raw for a few weeks now you'd think they'd be fully aware that it may get brutal and bloody.. Maybe they expected WWE to tone it down for the kids though, who knows..

In my personal opinion much like alot of others, I think if people are aware of the atmosphere they shouldnt even bring their children.. They were lucky it wasn't worse then it was ( Brock-Lesnar ). This applies to all other matches/promos/feuds/gimmicks etc too, im just stating last nights match as a prime example. Whats your thoughts/opinions and which side are you on with this matter? Thanks!

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
I had pretty much the same thought you did when I saw that family of 4 (with the 2 small kids all decked out in Cena gear) in the front row. My first thought was DAMN, it could be a REALLY BAD night for those kids b/c I pretty much thought Cena was going to get brutalized in that match, which he did for most of it.

I think those parents got lucky to be honest that the outcome of that match was that Cena actually won the match in the end, or it would've been a BAD night for those kids. Now I am not saying that the WWE should book their matches so kids don't cry b/c I personally was hoping the outcome of the match would've been Cena gettign the same brutal beating and losing the match. Now my point is here I do kind of agree with the OP here that those parents should've (and maybe they did I don't know) known what was going on in that Lesnar/Cena program and at least explained to the kids what could happen to Cena to try and prepare them for it, b/c I am sure the tickets were purchased WAY before they knew what the storylines would be. So just not bringing the kids after telling them they were going would;ve been a bad option to.

·
Premium Member
15,069 Posts
Some people will be assholes and say that the kids shouldn't be allowed by their parents to watch/attend. I don't feel that way and if that was the case, I probably wouldn't be into wrestling right now.

The violence isn't the bad part. It's like watching a movie that has violence in it, like The Marine for example. Kids shouldn't know that it isn't real without parents telling them it isn't real.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see what your saying, maybe they just didnt wanna miss an oppurtunity at taking their kids to a live ppv event with their favorite character and front row seats. Maybe those werent some of the parents to complain though, I thought the kids were crying but maybe those certain parents didnt complain to the WWE. To be dumb enough to get FRONT ROW SEATS to that event and that match, they had to be understanding of what was getting ready to happen. But in another way, when I was a kid I watched the Att-Era all those years and witnessed all the language and nudity and brutality and blood, and I loved every minute of it. Sure, things scared me and I was unsure of what was real or fake, but I didnt cry and I loved it. I dont understand why todays kids cant seem to stand it and think its "cool" and everybody cries... Maybe its cause I was a bit older too but idk.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I felt bad for those kids and when Cena started pissing blood I imagine the parents regretted their decision. However, the PPV is called Extreme Rules and it is advertised as the one night when there are no rules and therefore probably not a good idea to take your kids to. On the other hand, the kids didnt look too upset or traumatised, it depends kid to kid I suppose and it is parental discretion whether they should attend.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Kids don't have a problem with stuff like this, only adults who've forgotten what it's like to be kids do. I've seen plenty if equally bloody matches under a pg rating (Flair vs Savage and Hart vs Piper at WM8 to name just 2) and as for the level of domination what about Hogan vs Taker at SS91 (which Hulk lost btw)

·
Premium Member
15,069 Posts
I see what your saying, maybe they just didnt wanna miss an oppurtunity at taking their kids to a live ppv event with their favorite character and front row seats. Maybe those werent some of the parents to complain though, I thought the kids were crying but maybe those certain parents didnt complain to the WWE. To be dumb enough to get FRONT ROW SEATS to that event and that match, they had to be understanding of what was getting ready to happen. But in another way, when I was a kid I watched the Att-Era all those years and witnessed all the language and nudity and brutality and blood, and I loved every minute of it. Sure, things scared me and I was unsure of what was real or fake, but I didnt cry and I loved it. I dont understand why todays kids cant seem to stand it and think its "cool" and everybody cries... Maybe its cause I was a bit older too but idk.
I don't even think the actual blood bothered the kids. Just the thought of their hero getting the brakes beat off him had to be traumatizing. It's much different in that live setting than watching at home. You got to understand that for the kids, they view this as somewhat real. I know as a kid, I thought it was and would get emotional in certain instances.

But, I think one of the worst things a parent could do is telling a child that wrestling is fake. As in the case of Santa Claus, they should find that out as they age. That way, you allow them to be able to have their own emotions and train them that they might be vulerable to far worser instances in life, so by letting them get thru something like that on their own, it frees them to show emotion and also cements the mystique that is professional wrestling.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Today's kids are soft! I mean yes kids are definitely allowed to cry, but it's the fact that they cry over the smallest things. Like every time Cena loses they cry.

As a kid of the attitude era I have to say I only cried a few times (Mostly when Masked Kane appeared), But never cried when The Rock (My favourite Wrestler at the time) lost a match. I never cried over the pool of blood and the large amount of violence which when you compare it to today's product it's like comparing apples to oranges. I mean back then we had TV shows such as are you afraid of the dark and goosebumps. Yes we did get scared a bit and we also had nightmares but we also kept watching it and enjoying it. These days kids will watch the intro of are you afraid of the dark and start crying and never watch the show again.

Also I think kids need to be exposed to blood in Wrestling. The reason I think this is if they are shown blood then it tell them. "Hey this stuff is very dangerous and you could get hurt". When there isn't blood in hardcore type matches the kids would think "Hey he isn't bleeding, I'm going to start hitting my brother/Sister/friends with object all day and they wouldn't feel a thing".

(Y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think it should be toned down just for kids, but did feel bad/awkward when Cena was driven into the wall next to those two young kids, bust open with Cenas blood all over Brock, they looked terrified...

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Its basically the parents choice to bring kids to these shows. They dont have to but they do. WWE obviously are changing some things up by blood appearing again and matches getting more brutal

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It's an odd debate, where i am all for kids watching WWE (Personally they're one of the key life forces IMO) I did feel bad for the 2 kids in the front row last night. I did think they were a little too young to watch this sort of product. I remember watching Nash - HHH HIAC when i was 10 and i was in shock at how violent it was (Especially the screwdriver) However it does make the matches really memorable hence why it's one of the few matches i remember vividly from when i was younger.
It's a really hard one to call.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only problem I have with any of this is when the damn parents complain and threaten to quit watching the product. I dont think just a few complaints is enough for them to make a sudden change but if you get enough people bitching about it im sure ( with the way they are soooo worried about ratings now ) that they would try and tone it down again. As long as WWE doesnt try and tone shit down on purpose and make the kids happy, im fine. It may be somewhat directed towards kids but that shouldnt mean they tone down the product and take anymore value away from what they build up.

But I dont think by any means that they are bringing blood back in. IMO both Lesnar hits were legit and no blading occured, and they probably weren't planned.. Im sure with Lesnars power though they figured there would be some accidental blood but I doubt they planned it out. Which IMO kinda sucks cause if enough accidental bust opens occur im sure they will have a nice long chat about these mishaps lol.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
The complaints have always been weird to me, because I've been watching wrestling since I was a little kid. And that was the Attitude Era, so definitely a lot more risque than nowadays. The thing is, I was also watching it with my parents (as well as my younger siblings), and they were good enough parents to talk me through the show (especially their explanations about it being "fake" and "staged" and how the wrestlers were trained to do these things, so we didn't do anything dumb trying to replicate it or reeeeeally worry about the wrestlers like I'm sure those 2 little kids last night did). At the end of the day, the parents can't blame WWE for exposing their children to this -- it completely falls on the parents to be able to tell what entertainment they think is overall appropriate for their children. If you don't even try to know what to expect going into a wrestling show (or any entertainment venture), don't be shocked when it's something you think is inappropriate for your child.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts