Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I'll say it's more on the talent. or lack of. Lets be honest, the current crop don't have it in them to put out an interesting personality for people to give a damn about. You can blame the writers all you want, but the entertaining people always prevails(unless they're getting really buried ala MVP). Look at Zach Ryder. And I'm not even a fan of his. Even when MVP was jobbing out endlessly, he still got the biggest chants and pops at Survivor Series last year. Look at Kofi, the amount of times, he's been fucked over by creative, he was still able to get huge pops and still sells some merchandises. The current roster just don't have it in them. Jack Swagger has gotten plenty of mic time and segments. Dolph Zigglers gets tons of segment and nobody outside of the internet gives a fuck. Vickie gets the same amount of opportunity as the midcarders and look what she's able to do. I just don't see any hope in alot of these guys on the roster.

Now if Byron Saxton and Jon Moxley came, that's something different. They are the future.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When Rock, Austin and Lesnar left, they should have made better use of guys like Angle and Booker T (when he became King Booker), but instead WWE dropped the ball by letting them go.

Even Kane

Someone who was not on the level of Austin and Rock could have been given a bigger push to become a permanent contender for the Heavyweight title, but even he was ignored.

I guess Kane was seen as nothing more than Fake Diesel in Vince's eyes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Its all creative. The company has the talent but they saddle the talent with stupid gimmicks, cheesy scripted promos, and poor booking. They got away from the basics of wrestling psychology, concepts of good versus evil, and letting guys be themselves. Now its all hollywood fairy tales and forced pushes.
WWE has a history of double standards and constantly changing standards that frustrate talent. I saw on iMPACT where Anderson complained that WWE didn't want him chewing gum on TV. However I remember HHH & HBK ALWAYS chewed gum on TV. I remember when HHH didn't want Umaga wearing DX's colors. Now those things seem small but those are part of the aggravation that wear guys down and demoralizes them. Creative, the executives, and backstage politics put so many roadblocks in the way it hinders the talents ability to succeed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Vince is a big part of the blame because he hires guys like John Laurinaitis who are responsible for hiring new talent... because of him there is now a lot of stale talent on the roster. I'd also like to blame the creative team. They aren't doing their part in pushing the talent in the right direction. Whatever happened to wrestling gimmicks? The WWE shouldn't bring new talent in with just their boring street names/personalities... Why not do what they did in the early 90s... hand out gimmicks to everyone. That way the talent has a better chance of standing out, and an even better chance at making names for themselves further down the road. A recent example would be The Boogeyman. I thought the WWE did a good job with his gimmick and he was a lot of fun to watch. He could've gone further than he did, but again Vince and the creative team f'ed it up. My two cents.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Its all creative. The company has the talent but they saddle the talent with stupid gimmicks, cheesy scripted promos, and poor booking. They got away from the basics of wrestling psychology, concepts of good versus evil, and letting guys be themselves. Now its all hollywood fairy tales and forced pushes.
WWE has a history of double standards and constantly changing standards that frustrate talent. I saw on iMPACT where Anderson complained that WWE didn't want him chewing gum on TV. However I remember HHH & HBK ALWAYS chewed gum on TV. I remember when HHH didn't want Umaga wearing DX's colors. Now those things seem small but those are part of the aggravation that wear guys down and demoralizes them. Creative, the executives, and backstage politics put so many roadblocks in the way it hinders the talents ability to succeed.
It was actually HBK who got angry at Umaga for wearing colors similar to HHH.

·
Registered
411 Posts
They have some great talents, come on. Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Drew McIntyre, Hunico and his gang, Daniel Bryan who's finally becoming an interesting character, Del Rio who is talented but needs an entirely new character, Miz, R-Truth, DiBiase... The problem is just that they put all the effort into building the main eventers. The recipe is always so simple; Let someone defeat some guys a couple of weeks, challenge for title, win/lose, rematch, win/lose, and repeat. And then the rest of the show is completely uninteresting.

It makes the mid cards boring, and the main events repetitive. They shouldn't try to make Orton and Cena into even bigger stars, instead they should try to raise the lowest level. Tyson Kidd should be a credible threat and actually win some matches on TV and get some mic-time. I remember actually finding him interesting when he hired that Jackson Andrews-guy when feuding with David Hart Smith, before the WWE dropping the ball on that like a week later and dropping Kidd to Superstars.

It's quite easy really. If their low cards aren't considered dangerous, it won't be impressive if someone beats a low carder. If their mid carders aren't impressing, you won't be impressed when they're a mid card championship-holder. If being a champion isn't impressive, you won't be impressed when Cena beats someone who has been a mid card champion some time.

The point is that you need a purpose with a feud. You need a dangerous force that you dislike, that needs to be stopped. It's the same with movies, there is ALWAYS a conflict that needs to be resolved. Miz and R-Truth could have been that conflict, if they weren't fed to Cena like candy on a friday night. Nexus was an incredibly dangerous threat and I really was excited about seeing how the hell they thought they were going to defeat them. They were unstoppable, and making Cena their bitch was great, but then they made the New Nexus and fed them to Orton.

TL;DR: They need to raise their lowest level. The low cards should be interesting, and the mid cards should be great. The Main eventers should be huge, and they need strong heels to make feuds interesting.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
These guys are complete morons!

The one thing Vince WAS good at is building stars. Everyone thought the company was doomed when hogan & savage left but vince created a whole new generation of stars and took it to the next level.

WWE is in a transition period right now. I am sure they will get there eventually!

·
The Executive Vice President Of Talent Relations
14,836 Posts
It's a problem on both sides. All these new guys coming in have so little experience. They train for a year or two in FCW and then they're brought onto the main roster only to fail to get over at all. Wrestlers back in the day used to work in multiple territories and were able to develop their own character and make a name for themselves before getting a WWE or WCW contract.

Creative is just as much to blame for it. They bring in these generic FCW clones and expect them to make an impact and get over right away. Examples of this would be Sheamus and Swagger. Both were not even close to being ready to be champions but they went ahead and did it anyways in hopes it would be a quick fix for lack of stars. It back fired big time. Nobody gave a fuck about them being champions. You'd these writers would be able to give guys like Kofi a gimmick with personality but they just can't do it I guess.

·
Dragon Slayer
6,627 Posts
I don't care what some random guy on youtube says, but its 95% a creative problem.

Vince hasn't had a good idea in god knows how many years. What little we've seen in the past 5 years thats been good, has been superstar driven (HBK and Jericho writing and doing their own feud). Vince has nothing left, and his creative team sucks.

The talent pool is pretty solid. Punk, Orton, Cena, Miz, Del Rio, Ziggler, Cody, Barrett, Mark Henry, Truth, Morrison, D Bryan. There are even a few legitimate tag teams in the WWE now, mexican america v2, air boom, awesome truth, the usos.

The talent is there. There's a ton of it. But unfortunately......WWE has been in a blackhole of shittiness since WM 21, all revolving around John Cena.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
It's both. These guys were brought up too soon and it's shown. They have no charisma, they don't have an intimidation factor, and they aren't good in the ring. Sheamus, Barrett, Rhodes, McIntyre, Del Rio, etc. they aren't in the leagues of Lesnar, Benoit, Angle, Jericho, Eddie(and Chavo), even Helms, Taijiri, etc. As mentioned there are limited territories for these guys to perfect their craft, and they're just rushed up to the big leagues without much experience.

Danielson and Ziggler are very good wrestlers, but until they both undergo a complete character overhaul I can't take them seriously. C'mon, Ziggler? What kind of a name is that for a future main eventer? This lies at the foot of creative. They are notorious of screwing over talent like Shelton, Carlito, MVP, Kofi, etc.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts