Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The key to to coming up with a good character can be complicated. Granted there's a fair share of responsibility that falls on the performer, but there needs to be some type of launching pad to work with. A foundation of sorts that acts as the blueprint to the character.

Take The Rock for example. He was a smug, arrogant, demeaning egomaniac. A common archetype among heel characters, but the reason The Rock was able to differentiate himself from the crowd was because of Dwayne Johnson's way with language. It wasn't just his brutally honest commentary, it was the way he delivered it. It was powerful. By the time he had blown up into a full fledged face character, he was able to get a legitimate comedic reaction from the crowd. At times, he was genuinely funny in the way he would mock his foes.

Flash forward to the current day, and The Rock seems to act as the template for every modern face character. Long gone are the days where characters and gimmick go hand and hand. These days, the gimmick has absolutely NOTHING to do with the character save for a few. Every time the face is involved in a promo of some sorts, it's as if the WWE has no choice but for him to fall back on The Rock formula... which is "make 'em laugh".

Cena, Morrison, Edge, Big Show, Orton, HHH... you would think these are all different types of characters - and to a degree they are - yet when it comes time to cut a promo they all resort to the same tactics and they all come off exactly the same. No matter the situation, no matter the angle... eventually the promo escalates into a series of sarcastic quips and one uppers in which we see the face do his best to try and verbally embarrass his heel counterpart.

Where's the theater in that? Where's the storytelling? No wonder it's hard to get behind the faces these days. They're not unique. They're not engaging. They're all Rock wannabees.

Thoughts?

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
The problem is Vince has become so egotistical that he thinks he can script everyone instead of just letting guys do their own thing which of course doesn't work. Your character has to come from within. Thats how it always has worked and thats how it still works today(Is it a surprise that the Miz is hella over?). Guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, Ric Flair, Undertaker, HBK, Mick Foley, etc. are all extensions of their true selves and thats why they always come of natural. At heart they ARE the characters.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hopefully, they're ARE some WWE creative team members lurking this forum... I think creative should be overhauled to a degree and WWE should 'invest' in writers that have credibility (they would obviously need product knowledge too)...

On the other hand, it's not all bad. I've seen flashes of brilliance...but it is ultimately up to the performer to deliver in the scripted era...There's no improve these days...even if you don't like a guy like Ric Flair, you gotta admit it's more entertaining when it's from the heart and there's less constraints (I'm thinking his promos in WCW)

Promo's sell...Wrestling will more or less always be the same...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see how anyone except The Pope in TNA has anything near the same character as The Rock.
Did you see the Morrison/Sheamus segment last night? As soon as Morrison walks down the ramp, he starts making fun of Sheamus... rather blandly I might add. In fact just about everyone who feuds with Sheamus in some capacity will at some point mock his appearance. Why? Because the tension between the two isn't well developed on it's own, nor is the face character fully realized. The only way they could get a reaction out of the crowd is to try and make them laugh.

If it were today, Hulk Hogan would call Earthquake an overweight slob and Ultimate Warrior would try and mock Rick Rude for being a closet homosexual. That's the only way they'd be able to get the feud over.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Did you see the Morrison/Sheamus segment last night? As soon as Morrison walks down the ramp, he starts making fun of Sheamus... rather blandly I might add. In fact just about everyone who feuds with Sheamus in some capacity will at some point mock his appearance. Why? Because the tension between the two isn't well developed on it's own, nor is the face character fully realized. The only way they could get a reaction out of the crowd is to try and make them laugh.
sooooo....the rock is the only face allowed to mock heels.......

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sooooo....the rock is the only face allowed to mock heels.......
Of course not, but I have no doubt that it was his success that inspires WWE to do what they do with their modern day baby faces. The Rock, and to a degree maybe even Jericho as well... they're the ones that I believe opened the door for that type of approach.

I only have a beef with it because, sadly, I feel that's the standard approach taken with just about every face character on the roster these days. Even Orton is guilty. The Viper, the assassin, the "apex" predator... even he's a comedian now. The faces have become nothing more than a bunch of wise crackers.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Of course not, but I have no doubt that it was his success that inspires WWE to do what they do with their modern day baby faces. The Rock, and to a degree maybe even Jericho as well... they're the ones that I believe opened the door for that type of approach.

I only have a beef with it because, sadly, I feel that's the standard approach taken with just about every face character on the roster these days. Even Orton is guilty. The Viper, the assassin, the "apex" predator... even he's a comedian now. The faces have become nothing more than a bunch of wise crackers.
Orton made one snarky comment about Riley [a guy who gives tons of material to make fun of] and hes a comedian?

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I have no clue what you are talking about, OP, but none of the current faces act anything like The Rock.

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I think he's trying to say that most faces try to be a comedian when it comes to delivering promos when in actuality most of them are not funny like The Rock was..Am I right?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I have no clue what you are talking about, OP, but none of the current faces act anything like The Rock.
I do see where the OP is coming from but his example is a bad one, he'd be better off making a more general point about the way WWE stick to certain patterns that have worked a couple of times but mostly failed. One would be the tag-team break-up storyline. Nobody can deny it worked fantastically well for Shawn Michaels and so they keep looking to repeat it. What they fail to take into account is that 1 - The Rockers were hugely over when they split and 2 - it's argueable that Jannetty would've been the better choice for a singles push, at least in the short term. The other one is the 'Trish Stratus Gamble' which, again, worked a couple of times but mostly fails. To elaborate on what the gamble actually is, remember that Trish was a fitness model with a great look but Kelly Kelly talent when she came in. Fortunately she had the drive to improve and become a decent worker which, combined with a great women's undercard, made her a draw. Now they try to repeat that success but it fails because the women they find lack that drive (and have Biily Kidman training them rather than Finlay)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
why do people compare everyone to the rock? rock was pretty shit in my opinion, if i was compared to him i would take it as a diss

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
John Cena is basically a Hogan-Rock ripp-off.
I see the Hogan part but I don't see the Rock part at all. Not in the slightest.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
faces today do try too hard to be funny and shit, i get that. practically every face nowadays trys to be funny rather than badass, idk if i can remember a badass face since batista.

wwe needs a badass mofo as a face, someone who just whips ass and doesnt try to make me laugh all the time, not everyone needs to be laughing their asses off for a guy to be a face.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Cena - If Cena's character is like anything, its 80's Hogan

Morrison - Not really Rock-like, but he really does need some better material than what he has had lately.

Edge - He plays some level of insanity whether face or heel, again not the Rock

Big Show - Always been somewhat comedic, depending on how the gimmick is tweaked, but I wouldnt say the jokes are what gets him over, because the "dominant monster" Show is way more believable than the Hulk or Fat Bastard impressions

Orton - just no

HHH - erm, HHH was wisecracking and making fun of his opponents before The Rock was even The Rock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts