Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the top of my head after watching this weaks Impact:
1) There was a tournament for the number one contender for the tag belts
on Explosion. As we know Magnus+Wolfe have won the number 1 spot.
We are teased to a MSMG match on next week´s impact. They use some time to
look back on the MSMG/Beer Money feud. Not a single word about Magnus+Wolfe.

2) They hold a top 8 tournament for the vacant World title. For some
reason Hernandez and Samoa Joe had been in the last Top 10 Contender
List, but after HC Justice they forgot to redo the list. They forgot
about Hernandez and Joe altogether. (I know Joe is suspended).
As a matter of fact the hyped Top 10 Contendor list has also disappeared
from the programming and the official TNA homepage.

3) Kurt Angle said he wanted to have 10 matches to beat every single
holder of the Top 10 Contender spot. He seems to have forgotten about
this and has enlisted in the tournament which will cut short his pursuit.
He was offered the number 3 spot right away when he made his comeback
but he didn´t want that to happen. But then was then, right?

4) Abyss is the number 1 Contender. How come he wasn´t invited to
the tournament for the vacant title? Oh, my bad, see 2)

I am sure I must have missed the usual sound explantions for these
potential deadends, could someone please fill me in? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Leaving Abyss out of the tournament i could kind of understand as to have him in would be like rewarding his "heinous attack". Of course, i dont recall them actually using this explanation...

I like how somehow Rob Terry managed to be ahead of AJ Styles, who he recently has lost to twice. AJ loses one match to Angle and apparently he goes from 6 to out of the top 8.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Currently watching Impact right now on Bravo and I am not liking this a bit. I can see why it got a poor rating this week.

The Top 10 Contender system was rigged. If it's gone, good fucking riddance. Also, the winners of the tournaments were all former WWE talent, which just shows you how stupid TNA are at booking. The start of Impact was also ridiculous too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Top 10 Contender system was rigged. If it's gone, good fucking riddance. Also, the winners of the tournaments were all former WWE talent, which just shows you how stupid TNA are at booking. The start of Impact was also ridiculous too.
I am totally with you in this- but they just can´t FORGET about this whole Top 10 Contender system.
And they just can´t LEAVE OUT Abyss of the tournament even though I like it. How does booking like
this help the product? HOW?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaving Abyss out of the tournament i could kind of understand as to have him in would be like rewarding his "heinous attack". Of course, i dont recall them actually using this explanation...

I like how somehow Rob Terry managed to be ahead of AJ Styles, who he recently has lost to twice. AJ loses one match to Angle and apparently he goes from 6 to out of the top 8.
We can reason as we like- they just hit the f´in ABORT button on the ranking system. It´s gone- maybe
for good- but without ANY EXPLANTION after they told us that it is IMPORTANT and encouraged us as
the FANS to go to their website to vote and now there isn´t even the slightest mentioning why or how
they came to just let this piece of feedback oriented ranking system fall through the cracks. The words
INCONSITENT and INCOHERENT come to mind which spell UNPROFESSIONAL for anyone booking like this.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Currently watching Impact right now on Bravo and I am not liking this a bit. I can see why it got a poor rating this week.

Who gives a shit if they were all former WWE talent? They are TNA talent now. Who out of that list would you have rather seen advance, fucking rob terry and Jay lethal? The obsession with 'homegrown' talent is ridiculous there are a few guys who are good, but the rest are mediocre at best. I like jay lethal and doug williams, but come on, they are role players.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Who gives a shit if they were all former WWE talent? They are TNA talent now. Who out of that list would you have rather seen advance, fucking rob terry and Jay lethal? The obsession with 'homegrown' talent is ridiculous there are a few guys who are good, but the rest are mediocre at best. I like jay lethal and doug williams, but come on, they are role players.
Right. This "only push homegrown talent" attitude is stupid. It's not like WWE peaked with guys like Austin, Taker, Foley and Triple H at the top (all former WCW stars) and WCW peaked with guys like Hogan, Savage, Hall, Nash, Piper and Hart at the top (all former WWF stars).

TNA would be stupid to not push Angle, who is their biggest draw to wrestle fulltime, to not push Hardy, who came from his very hot run in WWE and especially to not push Anderson and Pope because they are THE future. And Dinero wrestling under the "Pope" gimmick alone makes him a TNA talent for me cause that gimmick was introduced by TNA.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I thought the same thing with Magnus/Wolfe...I hope they have a feud with the Guns and just not one match.

Joe being left out was just because he was suspended. Hernandez I can not explain.

Kurt Angle talked about it in detail on ReAction.

Abyss can not be rewarded for what he did. Least thats the way I look at it.

When Hardy faced Rob Terry I thought, oh I guess this is the number number 1 going against number 8 but then when Morgan and Williams were in matches instead of guys like AJ I knew the way I was thinking about it wasn't right. They said top 8 so if they said top 8 I wouldn't think the ranking system was just thrown out the window.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Right. This "only push homegrown talent" attitude is stupid. It's not like WWE peaked with guys like Austin, Taker, Foley and Triple H at the top (all former WCW stars) and WCW peaked with guys like Hogan, Savage, Hall, Nash, Piper and Hart at the top (all former WWF stars).

TNA would be stupid to not push Angle, who is their biggest draw to wrestle fulltime, to not push Hardy, who came from his very hot run in WWE and especially to not push Anderson and Pope because they are THE future. And Dinero wrestling under the "Pope" gimmick alone makes him a TNA talent for me cause that gimmick was introduced by TNA.
austin, taker, foley and triple h all became stars in wwe, they were nowhere near the level of an angle or hardy in wcw.

an yes, wcw peaked with hogan, savage, hall, nash, piper and hart but how long did that last and where's the company now?

building your own guys helps you establish your own brand (and gives you longevity) instead of having guys on top that will remind the casual viewer of "oh yeah, wwe".
of course angle hardy etc should be pushed, but they should also be used to elevate new guys to their level. it wouldn't have killed hardy to put over joe for example, he's too much of a star, but it would have definitely given joe lots of momentum. there's no need to be overprotective with those guys and putting them constantly over makes the "other" talent look second rate.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Austin and Foley though both had good characters in WCW. Austin and Pillman even feuded for a while in WWF and they were one of the best tag teams of the era in WCW as the Hollywood Blondes.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
austin yes but foley one time tag team champ in wcw not actually setting the world on fire. both hardy and angle are legit main eventers. Austin, foley, undertaker, and triple H at the time werent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts