Wrestling Forum banner

Davey was supposed to win the World Title in his ROH debut

1739 Views 17 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  SuperDuperSonic
So I thought this was pretty interesting and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it.

Davey Richards was on Colt Cabana's podcast this week, and he and Colt talked about his ROH debut. According to both of them, Davey was supposed to debut at the ECW Arena and beat Bryan Danielson for the ROH World Title in his first match. Davey said the only reason it didn't happen is he blew his knee out in a match in North Carolina the night before the ROH show, but he's glad it didn't happen.

What's everyones thoughts on this? Obviously it would've been a huge deal and very interesting, but how would it have been received?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
18,124 Posts
Well, I know I'd be pissed off, that's for sure.

· Banned
6,072 Posts
All I knew was that he was gonna be involved in a major angle. One of Gabe's all-time worst ideas.

· Registered
13,468 Posts
The combination of him not being able to wrestle matches up to some fans' standards and him ending Danielson's reign would have hurt him so badly I don't know if he would have ever justified it in the end and fans would have resented him for a long while.

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Definitely would have turned a lot of crowds against him. Danielson would have made it work that night if nothing else, but people everywhere else would be furious by the mere idea.

Richards was very good in the ring at that period, but not good enough to pull that off. He would have further been hindered by bad promos. He only came along on those a couple years later.

· Banned
9,415 Posts
Richards winning the title in his first match would have been a pretty bad way to end Danielson's title reign so I'm glad this never happened and Homicide took the title from Danielson instead.

· Banned
2,174 Posts
has anyone noticed how buff Davey looks back then compared to now?

· I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
33,076 Posts
If it was Davey with his workrate from a year ago, then fuuuuuuck yeah. But Davey circa 2006...heeeeeeell no. He was fun to watch when he beat the fuck out of Jimmy Rave and Briscoes and Matt Sydal gave him his best match of the year, but other than that he wasn't special. I could see the potential, but it wasn't close to what he could be.

As much as we like to rip on Roderick Strong for being poor on the mic, I think Davey was worse when he debuted. So we'd have a champ that was good in the ring (but no Bryan Danielson by a far stretch of the imagination) and was bad on the mic.

I'm pretty sure I just described Tyler Black's reign.

· Banned
6,072 Posts
Black was excellent when he had a chip on his shoulder. See: the beginning of the 8th Anniversary Show and his last month in ROH.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.