Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many threads on Bryan being the top guy, and I wanted to discuss my reasons why I disagree. Please keep the thread civil everyone is entitled to their opinion.

1. Size, I don't automatically discredit him as the top guy because of his size; but because of the way they have built him. The way he manhandles the Shield in 1v3 situations is downright unbelievable. Take a guy like Rey, the way he won his matches was his resilience. Another guy that comes to mind is Jamie Noble, while obviously he was never a main guy I could buy him winning because he was this pitbull that never stopped. Bryan needs to either go full on american dragon or stop the super man shit and go into a more resilient mode.

2. YES! His catchphrase is more over then he is, another guy comes to mind that was in the same boat; Ryback. The Rock did not start his own Rocky chants; Cena does not start his own Lets go Cena chants; CM Punk does not start his own CM Punk chants. I could go on and on with examples. Bryan is over the top with starting his own chants, it would be ok if he only did them on his entrance and when he was about to do his finisher, BUT he tries to start the chant going every chance he gets. Why does a "main" guy need to start his own chant?

3. Mic Work, what can I say its just not there. FFs the guy got killed by Steph on the Mic in a convincing manner. He basically doesn't have a Serious mode, or at least not one I can take seriously. All the main guys I can think of had above average mic work and if they didn't they had many other qualities that made up for it. Take Orton, horrible on the mic but he has a body that looks like it was chiseled by God himself, has great ring work and he does a very nice jumping split pose.

4. Other Options, I think other guys should be getting the push Bryan is getting. A prime example is CM Punk, I wouldn't mind to see him put on 20 more pounds of muscle. People may automatically say well he got a 400+ rein! that's as good as any push, NO! CM Punk never made Orton tap out and any wins he may of had over Cena were tainted one way or another. He has also lost to Cena, Rock, Taker, Lesnar all in a row. Him beating Axel & Ryback is not redeeming those losses. If not Punk, there is other guys, who would you like to see in Bryans position instead?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with a lot of what you say, and I love Daniel Bryan to death. He's my 2nd top guy. But I disagree, CM Punk does not need to be anywhere near that push. Yes, the 400+ reign is his push. If CM Punk started going over everyone, his own promos would become flawed. He is "no longer the underdog, he's become a dynasty". CM Punk plays the "Rebel vs Corporation Underdog" much better than Daniel Bryan, but the WWE screwed that up way before it could unfold. So CM Punk got his 434 day reign. Right now, CM Punk doesn't need to accomplish everything, otherwise, he would become the next John Cena, and apparently, everyone hates John Cena.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
I have seen many threads on Bryan being the top guy, and I wanted to discuss my reasons why I disagree. Please keep the thread civil everyone is entitled to their opinion.

1. Size, I don't automatically discredit him as the top guy because of his size; but because of the way they have built him. The way he manhandles the Shield in 1v3 situations is downright unbelievable. Take a guy like Rey, the way he won his matches was his resilience. Another guy that comes to mind is Jamie Noble, while obviously he was never a main guy I could buy him winning because he was this pitbull that never stopped. Bryan needs to either go full on american dragon or stop the super man shit and go into a more resilient mode.

2. YES! His catchphrase is more over then he is, another guy comes to mind that was in the same boat; Ryback. The Rock did not start his own Rocky chants; Cena does not start his own Lets go Cena chants; CM Punk does not start his own CM Punk chants. I could go on and on with examples. Bryan is over the top with starting his own chants, it would be ok if he only did them on his entrance and when he was about to do his finisher, BUT he tries to start the chant going every chance he gets. Why does a "main" guy need to start his own chant?

3. Mic Work, what can I say its just not there. FFs the guy got killed by Steph on the Mic in a convincing manner. He basically doesn't have a Serious mode, or at least not one I can take seriously. All the main guys I can think of had above average mic work and if they didn't they had many other qualities that made up for it. Take Orton, horrible on the mic but he has a body that looks like it was chiseled by God himself, has great ring work and he does a very nice jumping split pose.

4. Other Options, I think other guys should be getting the push Bryan is getting. A prime example is CM Punk, I wouldn't mind to see him put on 20 more pounds of muscle. People may automatically say well he got a 400+ rein! that's as good as any push, NO! CM Punk never made Orton tap out and any wins he may of had over Cena were tainted one way or another. He has also lost to Cena, Rock, Taker, Lesnar all in a row. Him beating Axel & Ryback is not redeeming those losses. If not Punk, there is other guys, who would you like to see in Bryans position instead?
:StephenA

2. The YES chants slowly got over with the crowd, in fact it's a chant that started by him...chanting it. Why compare "YES" chants to chants of the crowd chanting the wrestler's name?? Daniel Bryan comes to the ring chanting "YES", crowd loves him and chants along. You don't make sense....Bryan isn't going around chanting "LET'S GO BRYAN!!!" :lol

3. Looking back at his older mic work, even when he got kicked out of NXT. He has shown he is better on the mic than he is right now. He is the top face at the moment, it looks like WWE really want the top faces to be bland and simple and rehash shit on the mic. He was decent on the mic during his WHC reign, which is making it more and more likely that WWE holds their top guys on the mic a little bit, and no sell and just laugh everything. THOUGH I AGREE, I would like to see some seriousness. He doesn't need go into 'Tweener' mode but for once show anger.

Why bring up Orton's body? :kobe

4. :StephenA2 :StephenA2

Enough with CM PUNK..

-Guy got to do a 'shoot' on the company, and pretty much humiliate Vince live.
-434 dAY TITLE REIGN
-Fueds with HHH,CENA,THE ROCK,UNDERTAKER,BROCK LESNAR.
-Gets plenty of mic time and can barely be beat by Ryback and Axel

Who gives a fuck if he lost, ALL of WELL RESPECTED legends, and he looked tough against Undertaker, and Brock Lesnar.

You think Punk REALLY needs to be involved in the top storyline right now?? :jordan

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
So another Punk/Bryan thread huh? Otherwise i agree to some extent with what you said

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Well I agree, he definitely is a B. High midcard material. This him becoming the new face of the company is terrible.

·
Being What's Best For Business
2,271 Posts
This should have been Punk's storyline in 2011. It would have made a lot more sense. That being said, Punk doesn't need to be involved. Not enjoying his feud with Curtis Shithead or The Big Guy but keep them far away so it can be built up to a somewhat modern Rock vs. Austin.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
1.I will add that Vince has never had a guy as small as Bryan in the main event for long. He has put the strap on a few, but they all ended up being transitional champions.

2.A top tier guy does not have to rely on a Yes chant to get a consistent reaction. Good point

3.Here is my thing. Since Vince took over the company, every guy he has ever had in the top spot could either outdo or hang right with HHH on the mic. Bret would be the only possible exception and I think Bret could hang with HHH, but definitely isn't better on the mic. Bryan can't even hang with Steph, much less HHH.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

What more is there really to say.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
oh look another thread hating on smaller wrestlers, lovely.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Rock did not start his own Rocky chants; Cena does not start his own Lets go Cena chants; CM Punk does not start his own CM Punk chants.
Daniel Bryan does not start his own Daniel Bryan chants either.

:punk2

Bryan is over the top with starting his own chants, it would be ok if he only did them on his entrance and when he was about to do his finisher, BUT he tries to start the chant going every chance he gets. Why does a "main" guy need to start his own chant?
I agree. He needs to move past it or just leave it to the crowd to do it own their own.

To be fair though, Yes! was exclusively his entrance/arrogant victory reaction. He only started doing what he does now after the fans started responding to it.

All the main guys I can think of had above average mic work and if they didn't they had many other qualities that made up for it. Take Orton, horrible on the mic but he has a body that looks like it was chiseled by God himself, has great ring work and he does a very nice jumping split pose.
So Bryan has no other qualities then to "make up for it" I guess.

I personally liked Bryan's mic work best when he was WHC or feuding against Sheamus.

·
Registered
240 Posts

And would these examples be just as bad as the ones you provided?

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
One thing that still irks me about DB, is his look, and it's not even him being small, it's the beard and long hair that is officially starting to look like a wig that may blow off with the fast movement. But it fits his gimmick of being the weird looking small underdog that can prove everybody wrong and be the face of the WWE, but damn, I now wonder if he will look any better with a fresh cut.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I'm pretty sure he'll end up cleaning up his haircut and beard for his future wedding, unless Brie REALLY likes the lumberjack look. :bryan2

1 - 20 of 209 Posts