Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent interview with FOX Sports, SmackDown Live GM, Daniel Bryan, was asked his thoughts on John Cena no longer being exclusive to the blue brand. In Bryan’s response, he gave a more truthful answer opposed to an expected “in-character” response.

Here’s what Daniel Bryan had to say:

Bryan: “I don’t know how it’s going to play out, traditionally, this is what happens: Nothing is spared for SmackDown and that’s part of what makes us the underdog and the underdog brand right? The WWE, as a corporate entity, puts Raw first, they’re the flagship show and SmackDown Live is always kind of playing second fiddle when you’re talking about the executives and how they look at the two shows. So they are always going to do what they think is best for RAW.”

“Sometimes, that actually makes SmackDown better, so yeah, I’ll be interested to see how it plays out, but I think the crew that we have for SmackDown Live right now is really good and if we can optimize the men and women that we have right now, I think we can put out a product that is much better than RAW.”
I still think that WWE themselves don't know exactly what they will do with John Cena.

·
CATALYST
2,636 Posts
Call me crazy but at this point I'd rather they just have Cena appear on RAW and start a feud with Roman. Honestly, thats better than anything they have planned for either man and how it affects the whole damn main roster from now till WM.

Its like the movie Final Destination and we're on it. In the end, no one wins besides Roman because Vince's need to push this guy to to the fucking universe.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I personally think they're only dong the Cena free agent storyline, so he can face Reigns at SummerSlam, and then he'll return to SD. I may be completely wrong, but I think it's apparent that WWE has no idea how much longer they have Cena and they want Reigns/Lesnar at WM, so they want to get the match in while they still can.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I mean... he's definitely not wrong.

Smackdown's always played second fiddle to Raw in WWE's eyes, that's never going to change, it's just a matter of how obvious they've made it.

He's also not wrong about it sometimes actually being benefitial to Smackdown. Case in point was when Heyman was running it. Vince didn't give a shit about it, so Heyman, for a little while at least, did whatever he wanted and, what do you know, it's considered the golden age of Smackdown. Even after the brand split when Vince was focusing on Raw and the NXT writer was brought in to write Smackdown it had a solid chunk of time when it was awesome... granted we all know how it ended up fpalm... The opposite hold true to though before and after Wrestlemania 29, when NO ONE in the company gave a shit about it, and it turned into one of the worst wrestling shows in the world lol

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
They're just moving Cena because he's the only proven draw they have and Raw's ratings are in the crapper. In other words, Vince is panicking.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Cena is gonna appear on Raw so he could be the band-aid to the gash that show needs. Ditto to Smackdown. The whole "'Free Agent' John Cena" thing all but kills the "uniqueness" of the Draft.

·
#TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
3,419 Posts
Well, duh! Mr. Bryan, isn't that pretty obvious?

It's been noted for years and now, you figured that out? Have you also figured out that the sun comes out at day and the moon comes out at night, recently, as well? :p

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
But its not like he will not appear on SD, right ? He's free agent lol so he can appear on both shows EVERY week.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
No wonder why SD has more freedom compared to RAW. I bet the wrestlers on RAW sometimes wishes they were on SD. Charlotte recently said in an interview that on SD there is so much more freedom even on Talking Smack. I've also read old backstage articles on during the original brandsplit and the one in 2004 a lot of the guys on RAW wanted to go on SD for that exact reason.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Well, duh! Mr. Bryan, isn't that pretty obvious?

It's been noted for years and now, you figured that out? Have you also figured out that the sun comes out at day and the moon comes out at night, recently, as well? :p
You are missing the point here by such a margain that it's not even funny.

Everyone is fully aware that Bryan isn't telling anyone anything they don't already know, including Daniel. The significance is that he's actually saying it, which in itself is not too surprising given Bryan's recent history for honesty. But nobody else within WWE would actually say it, and would insead avoid the actual issues for fear of how it would effect their position in the company.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
You are missing the point here by such a margain that it's not even funny.

Everyone is fully aware that Bryan isn't telling anyone anything they don't already know, including Daniel. The significance is that he's actually saying it, which in itself is not too surprising given Bryan's recent history for honesty. But nobody else within WWE would actually say it, and would insead avoid the actual issues for fear of how it would effect their position in the company.
He doesn't give a fuck. He clearly wants to get fired. I expect him to be brutally honest because there's nothing they can do about it. If they fire him, he gets exactly what he wants. They don't want him to wrestle which is why they won't let him out of his contract.

·
Baby Yoda
30,260 Posts
I feel they're sabotaging SD, I wouldn't put it past Vince.

They don't want SD to do poorly, but they don't want them to do too well either.

I know it sounds messed up, but this is Vince and the WWE we're talking about.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
well he is right, Smackdown has always been second to Raw, and not by accident. WWE could give us a real brand battle, but they wont because they don't want to see Raw below Smackdown, which begs the question why do the bloody Brad Split in the first place lol

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,461 Posts
Its something that can benefit SmackDown at times, like in the second half of 2016. WWE just make it so obvious though.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,070 Posts

They don't want SD to do poorly, but they don't want them to do too well either.

They're idiots then. Wouldn't TWO flagship shows with legit top superstars featured, big storylines running, exciting returns/announcements/surprises/memorable moments, and high ratings be better than ONE show getting all the attention?

·
Registered
94 Posts

Vince has been sabotaging his own product for years, wouldn't surprise me. Hell he did the same shit last time they started a brand split. RAW is the A show, it is Vince's first baby.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts