Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over with the live crowds, but hardly puts asses in seats. Instead of being a fat guy who dances, he chants "YES YES YES" to get over with the casuals. Will be on the cusp of the main event in the long run, but will never be a legitimate star. Regardless of wrestling talent.

This isn't a knock on Bryan, but merely pointing out the obvious fact that Bryan will never be a main eventer. Hogan, Bret, HBK, Austin, Rock, Triple H, Cena, Batista, Orton... they all have an image that is associated with being a top "face of the company" star, one that can get over with the casual fans.

Look at the 2nd tier of guys.. Rikishi, Foley, Jericho, Christian, Eddie, Benoit, Punk.. none of those had or have the "image" to make it as a top star like the above list.

So it's plain to see, image counts for a lot in WWE, and as such, Bryan will never be the true top babyface. I'm not a Bryan hater - far from it - just felt like I needed to disillusion some of you guys who are placing too much faith in Bryan, when he is evidently never going to top Cena (and probably not even Punk, either). He will probably hold the WWE title again, sure, maybe even twice, but he will never be as big as anyone in that first list of guys.

·
The Man
25,723 Posts
Rikishi was 2nd tier?
I disagree though, im going to Survivor Series for a couple reasons and DB is the main one.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
You're stating he's the Rikishi of the PG era when you listed guys like Eddie and Benoit who he is much closer to. :lmao

Soup, I've been meaning to ask you, what's the opinion of Cena in Massachusetts?

·
Banned
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All you guys are doing is lending credibility to my argument by refusing to address the points I made, so keep it up :)

·
Banned
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're stating he's the Rikishi of the PG era when you listed guys like Eddie and Benoit who he is much closer to. :lmao
Well yeah, I could have said he is the Benoit of the PG era too, but Rikishi of the PG era slams my point home harder. Rikishi was over like crazy with the crowd, even moreso than Bryan, but he was never more than a B+ player, as the Mcmahons put it.

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
I really and I mean REALLY wanted to stop reading after the title but I decided to give the OP the benefit of the doubt

First off like Oxitron said why the fuck did you used Rikishi of all people as an example? Especially when you have MUCH better comparisons in your main post?

Second naturally it is gonna be hard to fully push him as the #1 guy in the company for an extended period of time but there is nothing wrong with being a 2nd tier main eventer at all. All the guys you mentioned are still some of the biggest legends in wrestling history so Bryan ONLY being on par with them is nothing to really be ashamed off.

And finally when the hell was Rikishi ever really a 2nd tier main eventer? Dude had like what 4 months in the main event scene?

·
Banned
5,216 Posts
i love how you're saying he doesn't put asses in seats, when he's not even close to retiring yet, he still has a good 5-6 years with the company left and you're basing this upon shitty writing the last two months and his first ascension to the main event...if you said this in two years then I'd believe you, but you're saying this just to troll and piss off the Bryan marks and i'm surprised people other than me have responded. He still has many years left and you're just trolling at this point...Close this thread Mods.

·
Banned
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really and I mean REALLY wanted to stop reading after the title but I decided to give the OP the benefit of the doubt

First off like Oxitron said why the fuck did you used Rikishi of all people as an example? Especially when you have MUCH better comparisons in your main post?

Second naturally it is gonna be hard to fully push him as the #1 guy in the company for an extended period of time but there is nothing wrong with being a 2nd tier main eventer at all. All the guys you mentioned are still some of the biggest legends in wrestling history so Bryan ONLY being on par with them is nothing to really be ashamed off.

And finally when the hell was Rikishi ever really a 2nd tier main eventer? Dude had like what 4 months in the main event scene?
4 months is a long time in the attitude era, when everything was so fast paced.. Bryan will be lucky to get an accumulative 8 months in the slow and repetitive PG era.

I've explained why I used Rikishi in the title in the above posts

·
Banned
5,216 Posts
you're too funny, you do know his next title reign is going to be long right? I mean thats' why they started this storyline to begin with. But continue to troll...After he's still in the main event a year from now, are you still going to make stupid threads like this? I wonder what you'll say then.

·
Premium Member
18,221 Posts
4 months is a long time in the attitude era, when everything was so fast paced.. Bryan will be lucky to get an accumulative 8 months in the slow and repetitive PG era.

I've explained why I used Rikishi in the title in the above posts
One little run in the main event scene doesn't really class you as a second tier main eventer then. If thats the case guys like R-truth can also be considered a 2nd tier main eventer.

As for your reason for using Rikishi over other guys it really doesn't work for me one bit.

·
Butter My Arse
11,973 Posts
All you guys are doing is lending credibility to my argument by refusing to address the points I made, so keep it up :)
I'll address your points by saying that Rikishi and Bryan are absolutely nothing alike.

One was a 400lb fat man who finally found the right gimmick after half a decade of being in mid card purgatory whilst shrinking heads, and then trying to ween kids off drugs, and everybody likes seeing a fat man dance (well, they did back then in the ATTY-TOOD ERROR). His career pretty much died though after his heel turn.

The other is a phenomenally gifted performer who has managed to get over by his own accord, sheer determination, charisma, lack of size, work rate (oh noes not that word!) and connection with the crowd. Not to mention he's been in the company for a few years and the best is still yet to come.

Yeah, I can see how you can compare the two.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Not even trying to mask the hate.
Like damn. I mean you're right of course, and while we're at it, Shawn Michaels was only ever a glorified tag team wrestler :lol

Your opinions are fine OP, but when you attempt to deny glaring truths it just gets embarrassing for all involved.
If you insist.
Over with the live crowds, but hardly puts asses in seats.
The only current full time name that ticks both of those boxes rhymes with Schmena, so by that definition he is the only top guy.
This isn't a knock on Bryan, but merely pointing out the obvious fact that Bryan will never be a main eventer.
Despite main eventing, oh I don't care to count, how many RAWs? How many Smackdowns? How many PPVs at this point? Despite being the main focus of programming since this summer, and despite being a very prominent feature for a long time period before that.
Look at the 2nd tier of guys.. Rikishi, Foley, Jericho, Christian, Eddie, Benoit, Punk.. none of those had or have the "image" to make it as a top star like the above list.
What are you doing. I'll even give you a bye with some of those past names, but Bryan and Punk are literally carrying the company on their backs right now. What. Are. You. Doing.

And you have the nerve to say he'll never be as big as Shawn or Bret because he doesn't draw that well. Holy shit.

·
Banned
5,216 Posts
exactly! he still has many years left, probably at least 8 due to his high conditioning and work ethic. This is just people either jealous that their favorite isn't being pushed or something else, but the fact of the manner is he is such a hard worker and a great asset to the company, he'll never be depushed from here on out....

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
Funny how people here attack the OP for being a Daniel Bryan hater but they sound like Bryan marks for ignoring OPs point, or maybe they aren't so smart to comprehend such an easy point he's trying to make.
If the OP called him the TL Hopper or Mantaur of this era then you would have a point so stop crying like a little girl. He has a point, he is popular with the fans in the arena, the fans chant with him, a popular babyface but he is not and will never be constantly in the main event.
Make today a 6 man hell in a cell and with the current roster you can't ignore Bryan but he will never be a favourite in this match and would always be the guy in the match the fans can't take serious.
Rikishi as a funny uppercard wrestler = top
Riikishi as a main eventer = not so much
Same goes with Daniel Bryan

Except of the size Daniel Bryan is exactly as Rikishi and you get a rep from me by making such a perfect comparison I never thought of it how exact it is

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.