Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is with the IWC's love affair with this guy? His in-ring skills are excellent, but he brings nothing else to the table. He has a terrible look, no charisma, and no mic skills whatsoever. Being good in the ring isn't enough to get a main event push. This has always been a huge gripe of mine with the IWC, the IWC places too much emphasis towards in ring-ability and not enough towards the other things that make a superstar great.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
I won't say he has no charisma, he's not John Morrison or Randy Orton or Cody Rhodes, but it's damn sure limited. Otherwise, I agree. I would never push a guy, ever, based on just in ring ability. Miz got it right with Daniel Bryan when he called him the Susan Boyle of the WWE, I remember the line exactly. "You have all the talent in the world, but you have no star power".

Still, I would rather have Daniel Bryan as the top face on SmackDown instead of Randy Orton or Sheamus. Those two guys are serious problems.

·
Breaking kayfabe to get over.
1,377 Posts
Judging from the thread you just started in the Raw section, I'm willing to bet you think that jobber known as Jinder Mahal is better?

LMFAO!!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I won't say he has no charisma, he's not John Morrison or Randy Orton or Cody Rhodes, but it's damn sure limited. Otherwise, I agree. I would never push a guy, ever, based on just in ring ability. Miz got it right with Daniel Bryan when he called him the Susan Boyle of the WWE, I remember the line exactly. "You have all the talent in the world, but you have no star power".

Still, I would rather have Daniel Bryan as the top face on SmackDown instead of Randy Orton or Sheamus. Those two guys are serious problems.
Cody rhodes is amazing, you know nothing -.-

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Not this thread again.

Alright, everybody has their preferences, if you don't find him interesting, good for you, however, I and many others think that he's the best ring-worker in the company and a perfectly serviceable mic-worker and that WWE could be using him a lot better.

Done?

Oh, and Pyro, if ring-work doesn't matter, than why was Chris Benoit or Bret Hart over? Or why was Jeff Hardy over (yeah you think he sucks, but he got over because of what he did in the ring)? Hell, if ring-work doesn't matter, than why was 07!Punk and 96!Shawn Michaels over?

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
Cody rhodes is amazing, you know nothing -.-
I know that the word "amazing" is so overused to the point that it doesn't mean anything.

Steve Austin is amazing, Ric Flair is amazing, Cody Rhodes is fucking trash, and absolutely, seriously mediocre, if I'm being GENEROUS. He's an average ring worker, horrible look, boring as hell, and his promos have legitimately become worse than Randy Ortons. Rhodes is such a bad actor that he's not just bad, he makes it look fake. You can't suspend your disbelief. I'm pretty sure if you ran a clock of Cody Rhodes saying the name "Randy Orton" on WWE television, your stopwatch would be running at least 5 minutes.

Oh, and Pyro, if ring-work doesn't matter, than why was Chris Benoit or Bret Hart over? Or why was Jeff Hardy over (yeah you think he sucks, but he got over because of what he did in the ring)? Hell, if ring-work doesn't matter, than why was 07!Punk and 96!Shawn Michaels over?
There's a difference between being over and drawing money. Bret and Benoit could get the crowd that was already there cheering them, but they could never get people IN to the building. Hell, Bret is one of the worst draws in WWE history, along with Shawn Michaels, who you mentioned, who nearly ran WWE out of business until Steve Austin bailed their asses out. Jeff Hardy was a reckless idiot, that isn't "ring work", it's stupidity. People like stupidity. As for Punk, he already had an established fan base. Look at his debut, he was over. He had a name. Not a huge name but a name. People knew what he was capable of on the mic. Not to mention, Punk has a natural spark/energy, whatever you want to call it. He didn't necessarily have to be pushed to get people on his side. And Punk's not even good in the ring so I don't know why you brought him up.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I know that the word "amazing" is so overused to the point that it doesn't mean anything.

Steve Austin is amazing, Ric Flair is amazing, Alex Riley is fucking trash, and absolutely, seriously mediocre, if I'm being GENEROUS. He's an average ring worker, horrible look, boring as hell, and his promos have legitimately become worse than Randy Ortons. Riley is such a bad actor that he's not just bad, he makes it look fake. You can't suspend your disbelief. I'm pretty sure if you ran a clock of Alex Riley saying the name "Randy Orton" on WWE television, your stopwatch would be running at least 5 minutes.
:stupid:

Fixed that

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,787 Posts
Calling Daniel Bryan boring is boring.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
Actually, there's no irony because I'm not being hypocritical. Alex Riley is a god damn disaster in the ring, much worse than Rhodes. He needs experience in the worst way. The difference is, I don't CARE, because he makes up for it by being charismatic and having mic skills. I don't give a flying fuck about watching Rhodes put on mediocre matches and then cutting monotone promos about paper fucking bags.

·
Sorry bout your damn luck
3,483 Posts
Calling Daniel Bryan boring is boring.
Bingo

I'm getting a little tired of people constantly calling AmDrag boring. He's not Punk on the mic, as it has been said before, but he does have time to work on his charisma side before it's time to hang the boots up.

His in-ring ability is good enough, along with his indy background, to keep him afloat long enough for his mic skills etc to mature to the level they need to be if you ask me.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Bryan is one of those guys that booking tends to effect more than it should. He's not boring, he has the ability both on the mic and in the ring to do great work. Its when he's given a promo thats corny or a job to do to someone with half his talent, he cant make it realistic or doesnt truly buy into it.

Some guys can turn a turd into gold. But with Bryan its just a turd with glitter on it, and even then its like he sprinkles it while looking disinterested and slightly embarrased. He's got to get over the fact that WWE is PG and just go with it.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
His mic skills are good (not great, by any means, but better than most of the roster) and he's tremendous in the ring. He's far from boring.

And Pyro, I don't even know why you watch wrestling at all, if you only care about mic skills and charisma. Just watch some talk shows or presedential election speeches if you want to see people talk.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
And Pyro, I don't even know why you watch wrestling at all, if you only care about mic skills and charisma. Just watch some talk shows or presedential election speeches if you want to see people talk.
Oh, give it a rest. Nobody watches wrestling for wrestling. If they did, ROH would be the worlds #1 wrestling company. Don't fucking tell me Hogan and Rock knew how to wrestle. In ring ability goes absolutely nowhere on its own, you need storylines, characters, charisma and promos. That's the backbone. The in ring portion of the product sees who wins and ends the conflict created by the storyline, nothing more and nothing less.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Actually, there's no irony because I'm not being hypocritical. Alex Riley is a god damn disaster in the ring, much worse than Rhodes. He needs experience in the worst way. The difference is, I don't CARE, because he makes up for it by being charismatic and having mic skills. I don't give a flying fuck about watching Rhodes put on mediocre matches and then cutting monotone promos about paper fucking bags.
Thats not cody rhodes fpalm...Thats his gimmick, His dashing cody rhodes was great, Alex riley charismatic my arse, The miz made alex riley.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts