Wrestling Forum banner

Should AEW Sign Danhausen?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Can someone explain this Danhausen stuff to me? I know next to nothing about this guy.
Easiest explanation of the character is "deranged talk show host". He's also motivated entirely by money and fame which I find amusing. It's weird because I find 99% of wrestling humour lame and unfunny, but he genuinely makes me laugh. Like the Dark Order and BTE stuff I find unbearably lame.

The character was much darker in the beginning

but eventually he morphed into the version of today

If AEW wasn't already filled with so much comedy he'd stand out way more.

I agree with @Chip Chipperson the best usage of him in AEW is probably to pair him with a straightman. Actually it may bring out the best in Brian Cage so I'd probably try that. Though I'm worried they'll fall into their usual pitfalls of booking him to go 20 minutes with the world champion or something.

He's probably not a wrestler you'd dig and that's fine. Though at face value I didn't think I'd like him either.

·
Premium Member
Safe Space Invader
15,309 Posts
Easiest explanation of the character is "deranged talk show host". He's also motivated entirely by money and fame which I find amusing. It's weird because I find 99% of wrestling humour lame and unfunny, but he genuinely makes me laugh. Like the Dark Order and BTE stuff I find unbearably lame.

The character seemed to be much darker in the beginning

but eventually he morphed into the version of today

If AEW wasn't already filled with so much comedy he'd stand out way more.

I agree with @Chip Chipperson the best usage of him in AEW is probably to pair him with a straightman. Actually it may bring out the best in Brian Cage so I'd probably try that. Though I'm worried they'll fall into their usual pitfalls of booking him to go 20 minutes with the world champion or something.

He's probably not a wrestler you'd dig and that's fine. Though at face value I didn't think I'd like him either.
Yeah, that is the problem. There are some ways he could work but they would likely just throw him in there to do goofy, bottom level unfunny comedy with the Hardlys.

·
Banned
The King Of Rants
11,916 Posts
Yeah, that is the problem. There are some ways he could work but they would likely just throw him in there to do goofy, bottom level unfunny comedy with the Hardlys.
He's someone who would be best used the way any comedy character guy should be, give him a minute or two of TV time a week, put him in funny situations with a straightman, get your laughs in and then cut away.

As a wrestler I've seen a couple of his matches but am trying to do the Cornette method of not watching because I don't want to dislike him. From what I saw in ROH he didn't do anything too offensive though.

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
I haven't seen him wrestle a single match, but I think he's hilarious and feels like someone from a bygone era. His act is mid-card, but I think he'd be a very popular mid-card a merch mover.

·
rasslin
9,619 Posts
I'm really kind of torn when it comes to Danhausen. I don't know where he fits in or what he's supposed to do. Like maybe just showing up with anybody and everybody trying to make money or something. I dunno. I'm not fully on board with his gimmick, but it's really weird seeing people that hate guys like OC, The Dark Order, or even The Bucks and Kenny being goofy saying they love him. It's really odd.

Like someone else here said, he's either going to be great, or he's going to be a major flop, there is no middle ground.
He’d be nice to have around for a good chuckle every now and then.

The problem with AEW with regards to comedy is there Is no limit on how many times a joke can be told. Young Bucks every single week did the same comedy shtick of acting like cartoony old school wrestling villains where’d they make the same silly faces and have the same types of matches. Same goes for Orange Cassidy. The dude does the same jokes every single match. Even if you found the gimmick funny, eventually the same joke being told over and over has to get old.

The problem with AEW and comedy is, it’s also misplaced. I like Danhausen and find his gimmick funny but I don’t want to see him out there for 20 mins with Bryan or going over Powerhouse Hobbs.

I think it would be good to see him feud with Hook when Hooks ready to have a program and he could put him over and this would be a good way to get people to dislike Hook when he becomes a regular in dynamite.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Danhausen has to be All Elitehausen

·
Banned
ALL ABOUT THE BOOM, BAY BAY!
90 Posts
He would make TK a lot of merch money, plus the tooth gimmick would be funny against Wardlow per se.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
With the current roster, no. This is a gimmick best left for the indies. Maybe he can make a few guest appearances but, like pockets, the joke would get old to many viewers after seeing the schtick a few times.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
While I'm not a big fan of comedy wrestling. The guy is super over and sells a lot of merch and I'm my opinion 10 times more entertaining then Orange Cassidy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
He used up his charm before the big money, now he’s expendable. But Tony isn’t good with money so he’ll probably sign him quickly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I thought he would be a Day 1 signing originally. If not then at least hired by the press conference or the date of the first episode of Dynamite the same year.

Bring him in just before he gets off the crutches. Showing up for work injured on his first day could make for some fun interactions. He would overshadow BTE regulars big time. The temptation to pair them up or to link MJF to him would be hard to resist.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Just had a thought. If he's already signed, him interviewing Miro in the void while they're both injured might be funny. Just give them one or two minutes a week. I prefer serious Miro but I'm not sure what else to do with him at the moment.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts