Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It's simple: In the Professional wrestling world Brock Lesnar is the man. Severn was not very interesting- he seems engaging in his shoot interviews but in the actual ring itself where he had to get his character over he couldn't do it and was boring. He had no charisma whatsoever and was largely a channel changer. That's the way it goes sometimes- some guys just don't get the "entertainment" aspect- they may beasts in the ring but can't connect with the audience for whatever reason - that was him.

Now in an actual fight he would've wrecked Lesnar. Obviously not now as he's an old fuckin man, but prime for prime? He would beat Lesnar with ease. Lesnar's bread and butter was his wrestling- Severn had a greater pedigree in that - I believe he made it up to the finals for the Olympic trials, in addition to that was a black belt in Judo and was proficient in some other disciplines. Definitely a bad mother fucker.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yea, I agree. I'm surprised at all of the hate on Severn here. The guy is one of my all time favorites and was a real big deal in the early days of the UFC. He was also a really respectful dude even if he was a beast in the cage.
I really don't get the hate for Severn either. Dude is a pioneer for the sport along with Shamrock and Gracie. The Brock fans make him out to be a god. Even though he would probably look down on them.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Severn no doubt was part of the reason why UFC was so popular early on but as far as his WWF run goes it was almost entirely forgettable. Nobody cared despite the guy having A LOT of momentum going in to it. Who cares if he held the NWA title at that time? lol. The guy just never what made pro wrestling popular at that time.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I forget about Severn. I'd like to see Lesnar embrace the WWE more when he does UFC appearances but I guess he doesn't exactly have the belt to flaunt so how else could he do it?

·
Banned
8,766 Posts
This thread pretty much shows Brock fans are pretty much bandwagon MMA fans ...Dan was a legit beast plus 100 percent more likable
Actually this thread shows that hardly anyone gives a crap about Dan Severn and his opinions. :shrug

You don't need to be a "bandwagon MMA fan" to not give a crap about someone's opinion, let alone Dan Severn's.

It's the internet after all. lol

Now in an actual fight he would've wrecked Lesnar. Obviously not now as he's an old fuckin man, but prime for prime? He would beat Lesnar with ease. Lesnar's bread and butter was his wrestling- Severn had a greater pedigree in that - I believe he made it up to the finals for the Olympic trials, in addition to that was a black belt in Judo and was proficient in some other disciplines. Definitely a bad mother fucker.

I would've loved to have him in his prime against a YOUNGER Brock(before he left the WWE the first time) to see if the Wrestling Pedigree of Dan's outclasses Brock's Wrestling Pedigree.

That would've been some fight. :)

EDIT : and I disagree that Dan would've wrecked Brock. Brock would've taken the cautious approach like he did against Mark and then double-leg Dan, and take him to the ground no matter how good Dan's TDD is. Which reminds me : Just how good is Dan Severn's TAKE-DOWN DEFENSE? Bet it's not as good as Brock's Take-down offense.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I forget about Severn. I'd like to see Lesnar embrace the WWE more when he does UFC appearances but I guess he doesn't exactly have the belt to flaunt so how else could he do it?
I don't think Brock cares about wrestling. I've looked at him a lot differently since his interview on the stone cold podcast. He pretty much just cares about the money. I'm not saying that it's such a horrible thing, but I doubt he has much pride in being part of the WWE.

·
Banned
8,766 Posts
^ I don't think he ever did have any pride for being part of the WWE. I'm sure if the UFC was as big as it is now back before he decided to head to the WWE the first time, he might be a UFC Veteran by now.

He prefers real competition to Make-Believe but because the Make-Believe has enabled him to make a lot of money, he held his nose and tolerated it.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I don't think Brock cares about wrestling. I've looked at him a lot differently since his interview on the stone cold podcast. He pretty much just cares about the money. I'm not saying that it's such a horrible thing, but I doubt he has much pride in being part of the WWE.
Once his career is over, I think he'll look back upon his time in the WWE a lot more favourably. Especially when the Grandkids ask "how did you meet Grandma?"

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Lesnar in his first run, was one of my favourite wrestlers.

But ever since coming back, I think he's kinda cheapened the business a little bit. He's had some good matches... the one with Cena at Extreme Rules, the Triple Threat with Cena/Rollins and The Undertaker match at Summerslam come to mind.

However, everything else has been utter shit on his part. That terrible feud with HHH (which looked good on paper), the complete letdown of a match that was Ambrose/Lesnar and don't forget that time he feuded with The Big Show. What a complete snorefest.

Lesnar has had more "bad" matches than good, since coming back. The Streak should have been a moment that shocked the industry forever. Instead, all we got was a sluggish terrible match that had an abrupt ending. Maybe thats what they were going for, I dunno. But when I used to envision the "Streak" coming to an end, I was thinking more along the lines of a John Cena heel turn. And Undertaker ACTUALLY retiring afterwards, and not deciding to wrestle another 3 matches at WM. What a waste, that was.

Another thing, Orton/Lesnar should have been a match for the ages. A modern day classic. But instead of Brock wrestling his "pre-UFC" style, he's stuck doing that stupid 'Suplex City' rubbish. I hate that all his matches are now 20+ German Suplexes and an F5. It's not entertaining to watch. And I imagine some guys backstage are a bit pissed off at this guy coming in, collecting millions upon millions to do a basic routine while they have to remember scripts and spots, and all this other stuff that goes into making a match. Lesnar doesn't even talk in WWE, it's all Heyman. He's got the easiest job ever.

You can't have a "legit" fighter in WWE. Especially when he's wrestling like a UFC fighter. It makes all your wrestlers look like shit. Randy Orton deserved better at Summerslam. Even Cena... and people loved watching him eat 20 suplexes and get squashed by Lesnar. He also deserved better than to look like a chump.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts