Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... watching SD now and am avoiding the SD section cause I dont want spoilers (so sorry if theres already a thread), but im in the Swagger/Edge segment now and it just struck me how over swagger is. great segment so far!

·
Registered
496 Posts
He dissed his alma matar in their own backyard, and talked about how great Texas is. Of course he's gonna get a huge crowd reaction from that. He's not that over. He does have his followers though, when I was at MITB this year I heard a lot of people chanting "USA! USA!" during his match with Rey. That could've just been because they all hated Rey though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
He dissed his alma matar in their own backyard, and talked about how great Texas is. Of course he's gonna get a huge crowd reaction from that. He's not that over. He does have his followers though, when I was at MITB this year I heard a lot of people chanting "USA! USA!" during his match with Rey. That could've just been because they all hated Rey though.
I've seen an MMA match between a Brit and a Jap, and the crowd chanted USA USA. I think its must just be default chant when the yanks can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
You can call that a cheap heat because basically he dissed his own hometown. But Swagger has ALWAYS been over so i'm not surprised.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
He's in his hometown so that might help, but Swagger has been pretty damn over since becoming World Champion.

·
Registered
970 Posts
As champion he got an insane amount of heat in his promos... Without a title often doesn't have a reason to act superior so his act doesn't work.

I'm hoping that that they either give him another WHC run after the Kane/Taker thing or he moves and feuds with Bryan for the US title

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
There's no doubt that he's over......but he was still using proven heel material. Insulting his hometown in his hometown? Hyping their rival state? Heel Promos 101.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
regardless of how you get the heat, as a heel you want to be boo'd and hated no matter what. thats why jericho doesn't want to be cheered. as he has stated before he wants to be boo'd everytime out because he knows that he is doing his job very well if that is happening. case in point, in the situation with orton. the guy was a huge heel. he works better, his gimmick is more appropiate and he is just overall more entertaining as a heel, but once the fans started to cheer a heel heavily, wwe had no choice but to complete the face turn. now i think that orton is having one of the worst runs in his career. to appease the fans he does nothing but rko everyone. that viper gimmick no longer has the same vibe to it. swagger is a heel and he is getting heat and he will have another run at the wwe championship.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I have to agree with the guys in here saying Swagger has always been over. It's the truth. Whether it's getting heel heat, or big amounts of respect from the crowd for his wrestling talent (which isn't commonplace for wrestlers these days), he's always been over.

Not only was the heat impressive (as it was every week he was World Champion), but Swagger's promo was great as well. It's a damn shame this guy got knocked down a peg so that WWE could do their Undertaker/Kane feud.

But, judging from the exposure he got on the live show, I'd say it's a safe bet that he'll be back when it's all over. And that's a good thing, because this man can clearly produce results.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
You can call him an Angle poser all you want on these boards, but you can't the deny that Jack Swagger is over. While I agree that Angle has more talent, that doesn't mean anything when Swagger gets a reaction like that. I have no clue why people hate him. Yeah, he's got quite the fugly smile, but that's pretty much it lol

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
He was/is over, and as much as I don't like the guy I thought he was really funny last night. Goofy Swagger is awesome. Serious Swagger is boring.
They should just keep him as the goofy stupid jock.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Swagger is over? Could of fooled me. He looks like a moron week in, week out. His title reign was one of the worst in HISTORY. Ever.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
If Swagger is guilty of cheap heat, then dear god wtf is CM Punk being praised for.

He was using cheap heat for a good 2 months with the SES.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts