Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say after lacking of the build up it finally got into right direction starting with Dakota costing Tegan an NXT Women's Championship match in the Battle Royal then the promos these two put together for Wednesday's showdown leading to Tegan last night didn't want to wait until Wednesday to attack Dakota in the crowd ending into an all brawl with Security holding them both back. Now in my opinion this heated rivalry between the former Team Kick members needs to go down in series of matches but what did y'all think about this?? I still see an DIY, HBK/HHH, KO/Zayn type feud between these women.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
In one way, it's good that it's finally getting itself over with.

On the other hand, Dakota Kai has just been looking like a wimp every since this heel turn. I don't see how it has benefitted her much at all. Everyone has been kicking her ass, treating her like a throwaway. She's to put over Tegan here and Tegan is going to benefit way more for it than Dakota will just on its face.

I really don't like the angle, but if I'm going to jump aboard on it, well basically.... Dakota is actually right. She has every right to be pissed off. Last Takeover the people she thought were her friends just threw her away like trash, just to glorify Mia on the team. Then they rushed and grabbed her that night once Mia was taken out of the equation. Oh so now you care about me?

Actually, Mia can piss off and move down the road. There's nobody more overrated. There's no doubt in my mind that Dakota, who's been in NXT longer than Mia has, did exceptionally more to bust her ass and earn her spot as a workhorse for this division than that bitch.

The fact that Dakota has to be a heel for this is kind of bullshit. Okay, she took a lot of frustration out on Tegan that wasn't altogether fair. But how selfish did the rest of the girls look when Dakota had just came back and gets beat up by Shanya's gang every week, and isn't helped out at her lowest moments?

They turned a nice girl like Dakota into a frustrated bitter girl sick of being disparaged, and they never owned up.

·
The EST of NXT
28,490 Posts

On the other hand, Dakota Kai has just been looking like a wimp every since this heel turn. I don't see how it has benefitted her much at all. Everyone has been kicking her ass, treating her like a throwaway. She's to put over Tegan here and Tegan is going to benefit way more for it than Dakota will just on its face.

I really don't like the angle, but if I'm going to jump aboard on it, well basically.... Dakota is actually right. She has every right to be pissed off. Last Takeover the people she thought were her friends just threw her away like trash, just to glorify Mia on the team. Then they rushed and grabbed her that night once Mia was taken out of the equation. Oh so now you care about me?

Actually, Mia can piss off and move down the road. There's nobody more overrated. There's no doubt in my mind that Dakota, who's been in NXT longer than Mia has, did exceptionally more to bust her ass and earn her spot as a workhorse for this division than that bitch.

The fact that Dakota has to be a heel for this is kind of bullshit. Okay, she took a lot of frustration out on Tegan that wasn't altogether fair. But how selfish did the rest of the girls look when Dakota had just came back and gets beat up by Shanya's gang every week, and isn't helped out at her lowest moments?

They turned a nice girl like Dakota into a frustrated bitter girl sick of being disparaged, and they never owned up.
Mia's ladder match with Io alone is better than Dakota's entire body of work. She's done nothing significant since signing with the company, yet you rate her above a consistently solid hand like Mia. Dakota is easily the most overrated jobber since Emma.

·
#BAYBAY
20,071 Posts
Well, Candice was apart of the Team Rhea for WarGames, when Dakota betrayed Tegan. She was friends with Dakota too up until she turned heel, so she's obviously looking out for her friend, Tegan.

I said this in another thread not so long ago, but this feud needs to be dragged out for at least a year, maybe 6 months at best.

·
Premium Member
16,724 Posts
It looks like they want to use the feud as a platform for match ups. Candice and Tegan stood tall. Now Dakota and Candice will feud a bit until Dakota circles back to Tegan. Then someone will help Dakota and Tegan will feud with that person till she circles back to Dakota.

You can drag the feud but get multiple matches, always with an afterthought. One of the two can even flip back and forth over a year. The worst thing NXT could do is have the two go after one another for a whole year, always fighting one another every time they're on TV.

This is really a stretch to put down the feud. Friend A attacks friend B. Friend A is now a heel. It's that simple. I think NXT has done well with getting short bits from each women, but not going into detail about their reasons, like you are. It's not needed. We know Dakota felt left out; we know she blames Tegan; we know Tegan now wants revenge on Dakota. That deep of an analysis will point out holes in every heel turn in history.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
This is really a stretch to put down the feud. Friend A attacks friend B. Friend A is now a heel. It's that simple. I think NXT has done well with getting short bits from each women, but not going into detail about their reasons, like you are. It's not needed. We know Dakota felt left out; we know she blames Tegan; we know Tegan now wants revenge on Dakota. That deep of an analysis will point out holes in every heel turn in history.
Yeah there are plot holes, maybe they should've thought of that before they turned her heel. Would you ask me to ignore events that we all saw lead up to this? One thing about the plot for sure, they were shitty friends. 2 weeks in a row she was left to be the fall girl to get stomped by Baszler, Duke & Shafir. Then it's decided that they'll pick one member of Team Kick and not the other. They pushed her away, which would turn anyone bitter. Now we're supposed to watch it like they didn't do anything wrong and Dakota is the black sheep.

This hyped-up match her and Tegan finally had this week was crap. I expected it to be a brawl, and it was, but we get a situation where Tegan's friends stick their nose in the match and Dakota basically loses the match because of outside interference. That was it, 3 minutes of a bunch of crap. What is all this supposed to be doing for Dakota's career, except to humiliate her? Nothing has changed, except when she was a Face she was jobbing with sympathy, now she's jobbing satirically.

·
Custom User Title
6,355 Posts
Candice throwing her hat in this feud makes me think she might be turning soon. It definetly wasn't random so I'd like to see how she fares. I think eventually down the year we'll see heel Candice vs Rhea, which could be a great match.
I don't think Candice is turning, especially with her helping out Tegan. I wouldn't be shocked if Rhea moves up sooner rather than later as well. Especially if she gets a Mania match. She is already starting to run out of things to do in NXT, and her reign really shouldn't be long.

Also worth noting Casey (and Dave also) posted a bunch of ratings breakdowns involving the stars of NXT, and Rhea's push is not healthy for ratings. She's popular with Full Sail audiences, and certain communities, but otherwise a lot of her stuff loses viewers. The only time she didn't lose viewers is in multiwoman (as in her segments involving more than two women, one of whom needs to be actually popular) stuff, or her title match against Shayna (but that was mainly due to the overrun saving it).

Basically the biggest stars right now (and provide a boost to the ratings) are Adam Cole, Matt Riddle, Keith Lee, and Io Shirai. All of their segments draw in a lot of viewers. Io's last few matches have brought in 50,000+ viewers. And that's in the 18-49 demographic.

I don't have the breakdowns for this week's NXT yet, but the Dakota/Tegan feud doesn't seem to be getting fans invested, and it's hard to do so with Dakota constantly looking like a geek.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I don't think Candice is turning, especially with her helping out Tegan. I wouldn't be shocked if Rhea moves up sooner rather than later as well. Especially if she gets a Mania match. She is already starting to run out of things to do in NXT, and her reign really shouldn't be long.
There is no more 'moving up'. NXT is the third brand. With the womens roster on the show currently as it is, Rhea is going to have plenty of competitors to face and there's not really any good reason to move her on another show where she might not do as well.

Also worth noting Casey (and Dave also) posted a bunch of ratings breakdowns involving the stars of NXT, and Rhea's push is not healthy for ratings. She's popular with Full Sail audiences, and certain communities, but otherwise a lot of her stuff loses viewers. The only time she didn't lose viewers is in multiwoman (as in her segments involving more than two women, one of whom needs to be actually popular) stuff, or her title match against Shayna (but that was mainly due to the overrun saving it).

Basically the biggest stars right now (and provide a boost to the ratings) are Adam Cole, Matt Riddle, Keith Lee, and Io Shirai.
Ratings aren't the best sign anymore of pure stardom. If Io Shirai is drawing so much more numbers than Rhea, why isn't she more over? Io hasn't had a high rated match one-on-one since she fought Candice. Her last match with Toni weeks ago was hardly anticipated. She's been much more directionless and thus more inconsistent than Rhea. Meanwhile, ever since Rhea moved to Full Sail she's gotten more fans watching her than she ever has in her career thus far, to the height that people say she should face Charlotte at Wrestlemania, which even I don't agree with.

Any ratings drop hasn't seemed to halt Rhea's momentum, she's red hot and her current position is as healthy as it gets for a woman wrestler.

I don't have the breakdowns for this week's NXT yet, but the Dakota/Tegan feud doesn't seem to be getting fans invested, and it's hard to do so with Dakota constantly looking like a geek.
It was a failed heel turn that should not have happened in the first place. What did it benefit Dakota to turn heel? There has been ZERO benefit. It killed off the fan support she had when she came back from the ACL tear. It broke up Team Kick which was a good tag team, it positioned her to get her ass kicked like yes, a 'geek', each week after by Mia, then Candice, then Tegan, and so on. It's pathetic. Absolutely the wrong way to go.

She is far more better in the ring than what she shows. You could turn her into the female version of current Balor with all those kicks and stomps. What the hell is the point of this weak, pussified disgruntled Dakota that gets her nose slammed against a wall every match? Of course she's not worth the fan investment if you book her that way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts