• Sami Callihan

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Daisuke Sekimoto

Votes: 25 78.1%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've seen... one Sami Callihan match since falling behind on CHIKARA (I think he worked there?) in 2008!

AKA link me bitches.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, what kind of things does Sekimoto do better than Sami? For the sake of conversation.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Alright, what kind of things does Sekimoto do better than Sami? For the sake of conversation.
In Short. Entertains the hell out of me.

Hes one of the best big man/strong man workers in the Indy/Puro scene. Sekimoto is the far better worker but Callihan probably has a bigger appeal to an American audience.

·
The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,164 Posts
I've only seen a couple Sekimoto matches, and those were pretty old BJW matches.
Most of Callihan's matches I've seen were from 2010 and 2011 and I really liked them alot. Sami is one of my favorites on the indies atm. But I don't think it's fair for me to vote because I really haven't seen enough of Sekimoto. I think the last match of him I saw was at BJW's 15th Anniversary show..

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
I've only seen a couple Sekimoto matches, and those were pretty old BJW matches.
Most of Callihan's matches I've seen were from 2010 and 2011 and I really liked them alot. Sami is one of my favorites on the indies atm. But I don't think it's fair for me to vote because I really haven't seen enough of Sekimoto. I think the last match of him I saw was at BJW's 15th Anniversary show..
Jump on the BJW bandwagon with "BiggestJapan" on YouTube!

:cool2

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Callihan has been having a fucking great 2012, as in he is a top five worker in the world at this point. He's been getting good-to-great matches out of flippy indy guys who usually suck and a pretty good match out of DJ Hyde of all people. Plus, he had a good match in Japan, a rarity these days.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Not sure how anyone can say any Callihan performance is better than Sekimoto's against Suwama this year.

Callihan's character is his biggest downfall. Genuinely dis-likable and his mannerisms really annoy me in his matches. He's terrible in control of a match. Selling isn't all that good either. Watch his match with Generico from wXw last year. BAD MATCH WITH EL GENERICO. He's good when he's getting his ass kicked and is limited to short bursts of strikes and gets to be a fiery little shithead who wont stay down (Finlay match) but you don't get that Sami often enough and the other Sami sucks.

Sekimoto's just an all round great powerhouse worker. Easy to get behind, amazing seller, gets big reactions from crowds, super execution, great moveset.

·
Ramble On
11,108 Posts
Not sure how anyone can say any Callihan performance is better than Sekimoto's against Suwama this year.

Callihan's character is his biggest downfall. Genuinely dis-likable and his mannerisms really annoy me in his matches. He's terrible in control of a match. Selling isn't all that good either. Watch his match with Generico from wXw last year. BAD MATCH WITH EL GENERICO. He's good when he's getting his ass kicked and is limited to short bursts of strikes and gets to be a fiery little shithead who wont stay down (Finlay match) but you don't get that Sami often enough and the other Sami sucks.

Sekimoto's just an all round great powerhouse worker. Easy to get behind, amazing seller, gets big reactions from crowds, super execution, great moveset.
This word for word. I really dislike Callihan, it's not even close imo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Callihan is clearly better. I can understand folks not liking his appearance, but we're talking about ring work aren't we? I'm as puroresu-biased as fans get so it's actually mildly amusing for me to see general fans jump on the BJWagon so enthusiastically when America actually have a better worker in Callihan than anyone BJW currently have. Sekimoto has been good in certain very specific circumstances, but he hasn't got anything to match up to Callihan's Finlay matches.

Edit:
I'd love to see someone show me how/why Sami is not very good at selling yet Sekimoto is an "amazing seller". Sekimoto hardly even bothers to half-ass sell stuff most of the time. Of all the points to argue, that's the most outlandish and impossibly bizarre option to take.

·
Ramble On
11,108 Posts
Sekimoto certainly has his flaws, but theres no way Callihan is better. Callihan has the tendancy to be absolutely terrible and unwatchable in most cases apart from the Finaly matches imo, Sekimoto doesn't, and I would say I've very rarely seen a 'bad' Sekimoto match, especially not this year. Sekimoto is a great seller, his matches with Suwama and Sasaki this year prove that. He's also good at targeting a body part and working over that, usually the neck to set up for his finisher. the only time I've seen Sami show any sign of selling is when he was working with Finlay, but that was because it was Finlay and he was being destroyed which is where he shines. Put sami in the ring with someone on his level of indy talent and he's unbareable imo. His character is horrible, he tries way way too hard to come off as a badass, his selling is horrible and his in ring storytelling is horrible for the most part.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Callihan is one of the best character workers in the world right now. He's a modern day Bruiser Brody. Everything he does is done with pure character, even things like the way he walks separates him from everybody else on the indies.

Sekimoto is one of my all-time favorite powerhouse workers. He can get just about a good match with anyone only using shoulder blocks, test of strengths and all the other musclehead spots.

With all this being said, I'm not going to vote because these two are just too different for me to compare.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Repeatedly saying "[Sami's] selling is horrible" and "Sekimoto is a great seller" doesn't prove or demonstrate anything. You're mistaking repeating your opinion for demonstrating that your opinion has merit and explanatory utility over the wrestlers' ring work. There are enough matches on YouTube/Vimeo/Dailymotion for you to find evidence and timecode it (try showing me horribly bad selling from Callihan in any of the matches posted in this thread for a start). Although that also wouldn't really demonstrate anything per se, it'd at least be a step in the right direction!

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
ダニエル;11406971 said:
Repeatedly saying "[Sami's] selling is horrible" and "Sekimoto is a great seller" doesn't prove or demonstrate anything. You're mistaking repeating your opinion for demonstrating that your opinion has merit and explanatory utility over the wrestlers' ring work. There are enough matches on YouTube/Vimeo/Dailymotion for you to find evidence and timecode it (try showing me horribly bad selling from Callihan in any of the matches posted in this thread for a start). Although that also wouldn't really demonstrate anything per se, it'd at least be a step in the right direction!
Compare the selling on the 3/26 BJW show between Sami and Daisuke both vs Sasaki. Sami's selling was all over the place in the Generico match too. Watch Sekimoto's selling vs Suwama and Sasaki this year and say he's not a great seller. Both cases of selling are better than anything Callihan has ever sold.

This got brought up on another forum but for the Callihan fans, how much of the non pimped Callihan matches do you guys watch? The stuff which doesn't get praised much but gets called a bad match. Callihan has bad matches but how often does Sekimoto have a bad match? I can possibly see why someone might say Callihan's peak is better than Sekimoto's peak even though I wouldn't agree with it but I can't see why someone would say Callihan is consistently a better worker than Sekimoto.

·
Ramble On
11,108 Posts
@ daniel I would but I don't really care that much to start searching through various video sites and find certain points in 20 minute videos just to show you examples of Sekimoto's selling. If you search for the matches I mentioned in my previous post you'd see for your self. I'm honestly too lazy to even bother. Seabs gave you some examples above too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts