Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I've got some vacation time coming up and I'm trying to figure out where in the world to spend my week free of the shackles of work oppression. Having pretty much exhausted the places in the U.S. I care to travel to (which are not many), I'm pondering where to spend my vacation. There's no where in America I really want to go, and I can't really afford to fly overseas, so I'm left with one option:

Canada!

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly "stuck" with Canada; I've wanted to visit for some time now. I've never been out of the U.S. and I figure it might be fun to at least experience another country.

Since a) travel agents are basically extinct and b) this is the only place I know to go that has Canadians, are there any suggestions on a good place for me to go? Any places not to go? I'm a total Canada noob, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
Vancouver, plain and simple. I've lived here for my entire life, and it has great sights, great downtown, great mountains, great basically everything. Plus, it was the site of the Olympics last year, so you'll be seeing a lot of cool landmarks.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
Vancouver. It's an absolutely beautiful city. I loved it. But, it was Summer when I was there. I don't know what Vancouver Winters are like. You might wanna research it.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Don't go to Quebec unless you know french.
^bullshit^

Montreal is bilingual. They'll ask you whether you speak French or English everywhere you go. And it's the closest you'll come to Europe anywhere in North America. It's a very pretty city and the people are very nice. It has superior public transportation to every city I've ever visted, so you won't even need to drive. There's also lots of clubs and bars, you will never be bored there. If you have a grain of common sense, the French won't be an issue for you there.

And if you're a mountain-loving person, I suggest Calgary because the scenery is breath-taking. But from what I've heard, it's an otherwise pretty regular medium-sized city.

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Their winter's not that bad. It doesn't get that cold and it mainly rains. You won't see much snow there or freeze your ass off like you would elsewhere in Canada.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
i'm hopefully going to Vancouver in summer (which would be their winter).
Next year, Nike?

I think you'll absolutely love it. :) I went on an Alaskan cruise that departed from Vancouver a year and a half ago. I had a blast in that city.

I had fun down in Mexico this past Christmas as well. I enjoyed both. :) Vancouver, though, is absolutely beautiful. It reminded me alot of San Francisco.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
I really didn't find the climate in MTL to be that bad actually. Yeah, there was like a foot of snow in February, but the weather seems to stabilize at right around freezing, so it's not like arctic cold.

And there really isn't a wind chill either unless there's an outright snow storm. I found it pretty nice and I'm used to sweltering heat in Texas.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
Did you go to Vancouver in the summer or winter?
It was Summer for me, Gee. I absolutely loved it. I loved everything about it. If I ever move to the city I wouldn't mind it if were Vancouver. I feel in love with the place. And I'm not a city girl at all.

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
I really didn't find the climate in MTL to be that bad actually. Yeah, there was like a foot of snow in February, but the weather seems to stabilize at right around freezing, so it's not like arctic cold.

And there really isn't a wind chill either unless there's an outright snow storm. I found it pretty nice and I'm used to sweltering heat in Texas.
The week you were here was not that bad at all. It does get a lot colder than that in the winter. Our last couple of winters haven't been horrible but when it reaches the negatives in Montreal, you do not want to go outside.

It was Summer for me, Gee. I absolutely loved it. I loved everything about it. If I ever move to the city I wouldn't mind it if were Vancouver. I feel in love with the place. And I'm not a city girl at all.
I've been to San Fransciso but I haven't been to Vancouver. I'd love to visit because it seems like such a beautiful city. However, I doubt I would prefer it over Montreal. One of the most beautiful things about Montreal is that it's multi-cultural. I would hate to let that go.

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
Next year, Nike?
this year. i'll just do it :side:

I finish my degree in late october/early november depending on exams so i'll be looking to go over then. My brother is spending about a year over there and is leaving about March/April i think if everything goes to plan so i'll probably meet him over there and teach him how to snowboard.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
The week you were here was not that bad at all. It does get a lot colder than that in the winter. Our last couple of winters haven't been horrible but when it reaches the negatives in Montreal, you do not want to go outside.
Right, but you guys use Celsius, so -1 is for you is like 32 for us. And that's not terrible. I could still wear shorts in our 40's since I'm used to working outdoors during the night... as long as I keep moving like a motherfucker of course.

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Right, but you guys use Celsius, so -1 is for you is like 32 for us. And that's not terrible. I could still wear shorts in our 40's since I'm used to working outdoors during the night... as long as I keep moving like a motherfucker of course.
-1?? That's nothing?? Try -40! :lmao

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
-1?? That's nothing?? Try -40! :lmao
Yeah I know. -40C is like 0F or somewhere around there. But when it starts to get that cold, your nerves just get numb anyways, so it's more bearable than it being 20 degrees higher. It's wind chill that kills me, but MTL doesn't really have heavy wind like we have here.

The wind we get here when it gets in the 20's makes it feel a lot more like your weather in the midst of winter.

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Yeah I know. -40C is like 0F or somewhere around there. But when it starts to get that cold, your nerves just get numb anyways, so it's more bearable than it being 20 degrees higher. It's wind chill that kills me, but MTL doesn't really have heavy wind like we have here.
Sure but I don't suggest wearing shorts in that kind of weather. You're going to wear a warm jacket, you'll need warm/water resistant boots, a scarf, gloves and a hat. :p

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Sure but I don't suggest wearing shorts in that kind of weather. You're going to wear a warm jacket, you'll need warm/water resistant boots, a scarf, gloves and a hat. :p
Oh I know, make no mistake about it, I'm not wearing fucking SHORTS in -40C weather. I'm not that hardcore. But if I'm just walking out to my car or something, maybe going across the street and it's barely around freezing level, I don't really have to hurry or anything. I'm used to it. That's what 8 years of nights earns you :p

1 - 20 of 65 Posts