Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's everybody's opinion on modified title belts? I'm talkin' about when champions change belts to fit their gimmick.

I'm neither for or against it but it basically depends on the individual belt.

I personally loved the Smokin' Skull WWF title that Stone Cold had.

I liked the Spinning US title that John Cena had but hate the spinner WWE title (Although it doesn't actually spin anymore) an I am disappointed that they actually decided to keep that design rather than to revert to the previous one once John Cena lost the title (Rated R spinner sucked also in my opinion BTW).

Anybody else agree that they should revert back to the previous design?

Oh and I don't really watch TNA (I watch it very rarley, like once every 3-6 months) but what is the criac with the Immortal title? I think it looks terrible.

·
WindUp
163 Posts
Oh and I don't really watch TNA (I watch it very rarley, like once every 3-6 months) but what is the criac with the Immortal title? I think it looks terrible.

you have to wonder how TNA ever thought a Pink belt would be cool lol

i like custom belts i think ever champion should do it, would love to see what santino would put on his :p snake skin belt????

custom belts would help to show that a champion is there to stay for a while, so i think yeah go for it. would then add bigger twists when they loose the title on the bounce.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
It's cool when done sparingly but I just think Pro-Wrestling as a whole at this point has overdone it alittle bit. From my memory we've already had:

The Million Dollar Belt
The nWo Spraypainted Belt
The nWo Wolfpack Spraypainted Belt
The Smoking Skull Belt
John Cena US Title Spinner Belt
John Cena WWE Title Spinner Belt
Edge Rated R Spinner Belt

And now currently in TNA we have the Jeff Hardy Immortal Belt.

TBH I would've loved to have seen something like this though:

When Punk was still leading the SES of course. It would have been cool imo to see him proclaim himself as "The Straight-Edge World Heavyweight Champion" and carry it around and what not.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I hate custom belts. That's why I love the big gold belt, when I think of a world title belt that's how it should look. I'd be so pissed if I was Jeff Hardy and had to carry around the WWE Diva's title belt. I mean seriously, that's what it looks like lol

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
it basically depends on the individual belt.
This, pretty much. I'm something of a traditionalist, so I'm generally opposed to custom belts. John Cena's WWE title looked stupid, and Edge's "Rated R" spinner was even more idiotic.

That said, it can work. Austin's smoking skull belt was cool (though, IMO, not as cool as the belt it replaced), and I actually liked Cena's US title.

And Jeff Hardy's belt? Pfffft. Ridiculous and, I hate to say it, quite gay-looking.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the "normal" WWE title because the prestige of having it.

Still some custom belts are pretty decent:
Smoking skull champ was pretty damn good ^^
Million $ champ was also really good ^^
Painted NWO champ was really bad! Hated that!
Spinning US champ was kinda special but it lost its value when the othes spinning champs appeared >.<
The TNA immortal champ is actually really good because it fits Jeffrey pretty well but it will be a major fail if the next title holder has the same one.

The Straight-edge champ was a really good idea but dislike the painted thing on titles

·
Registered
72 Posts
i personally LOVE the new WWE championship belt. i love when it spun cuz it was really unique and kinda just added flair to it. the old wwe design was just boring, i really love the new one, rather it spins or dont spin IMO it looks a million times better than the last one. it looks worth more, more valuable more prestigious i guess

·
WindUp
163 Posts
i might be wrong, but didnt the rock have a custom one too ??

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I think if it's used sparingly, it's a pretty fun concept. I thought the Spinner Belt and the current Immortal Title Belt were / are super lame but I don't disagree with the idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate custom belts. That's why I love the big gold belt, when I think of a world title belt that's how it should look. I'd be so pissed if I was Jeff Hardy and had to carry around the WWE Diva's title belt. I mean seriously, that's what it looks like lol
LOL that's exactly what I though when I first saw it.

I'm also pretty pissed that the Divas title has replaced the Woman's title. Although I would be more pissed if the Diva's division was cared about more these days. Hopefully it will get better in 2011 with Beth Natalya and Awesome Kong(She will defo not be known as that in WWE) all in action.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
It really just depends on the superstar and whether it is used to further a storyline. For example, when the nWo spray painted the World Title, they were making a statement that they have taken over. It showed them as complete anti-establishment. In the same light, Austin's Smoking Skull Belt and to a certain extent John Cena's spinner US Title were done to make a statement as well. Austin's was to proclaim he was the champ and hes going to do things his way, whether anyone liked it or not. If he wanted his own championship belt, he was going to have it and no one was going to tell him "no". Cena's US Title was a similar in that light, since at that stage in his career, he was trying to show that he was unique and was going to do things his way.

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,916 Posts
Jeff's belt works (in terms of his gimmick) because he designed it. Watch his promos and the trippy LSD effects they do to it. I don't like the belt, but it does fit his gimmick, at least.

As for the Spinner Belt I don't want it reverting to the WWE Belt. I hated it. I just want it to change to something else.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Custom title belts are hit-and-miss things. Sometimes it can be very good especially in adding to the superstar's gimmick (Stone Cold's and John Cena's US Champ belt), but there are times also when it looks tacky and "un-prestigious" (like the Spinner belt to superstars other than Cena). I have always preferred the traditional belt design since it looks more prestigious and it makes me take the title seriously.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The spinner belt is going to be going nowhere fast, it's a really good merchandise seller. Personally I'm not a big fan, prefer the old one.

Back on topic, I'm pretty much agreeing with what others said. When done tastefully and with a purpose I'm a fan of custom belts. If every champion had his own belt it would suck.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
^ And thank god for that because it was ugly as fuck.

The only custom belt I ever had a problem with was Cena's because it looks like a toy. Other than that, no I don't mind. Austin's smoking skull belt was the shit though. But I was always conflicted because I loved the Attitude era belt too.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
What's everybody's opinion on modified title belts? I'm talkin' about when champions change belts to fit their gimmick.

I'm neither for or against it but it basically depends on the individual belt.

I personally loved the Smokin' Skull WWF title that Stone Cold had.

I liked the Spinning US title that John Cena had but hate the spinner WWE title (Although it doesn't actually spin anymore) an I am disappointed that they actually decided to keep that design rather than to revert to the previous one once John Cena lost the title (Rated R spinner sucked also in my opinion BTW).

Anybody else agree that they should revert back to the previous design?

How dare you :cuss:

·
Registered
188 Posts
To be honest, i liked the Undisputed World Title design. The one that Cena won off JBL. Favourite one was the old WWF Champion style though. Don't like the new design that Cena made which since him losing has only changed by not spinning.

Hate the new Tag Team belts, again the older one's when The Hardys, Dudleys etc where on the go where the best.

Never liked the WCW/WH Belt, boring to me to be honest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts