Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to the Cruiserweight Championship? I don't think I was watching wrestling at the time they got rid of it. The cruiserweight division was always one of my favourites cause it gave the smaller guys a chance at gold.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Hornswoggle won the title, no one cared and then WWE basically trashed it.

For the better - in ways, they didn't want the cruiserweights to be limited to the lower titles, and they realised the lucha trend was growing and many people would like to see them as top guys. WWE also may have noticed most the champions in the WWE since the Cruiserweight title's retirement have been under 230lbs. Punk, Bryan, Jericho, etc.

Unfortunately most lucha-style 'cruiserweights' (e.g. Primo, Epico, Kofi (sorta) etc) don't get main event pushes because of their style, compared to brawling/mat technician 'cruiserweights' like Punk and Bryan.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
the cruiserweights were always fun matches to watch back in the day BUTTT when it started coming to the end of it , it was becoming a joke and When swaggle won it i was happy they took it away !!! but i wish they had it back and actually gave the undercard the push the deserve!

·
Banned
690 Posts
Hornswoggle won the title, no one cared and then WWE basically trashed it.

For the better - in ways, they didn't want the cruiserweights to be limited to the lower titles, and they realised the lucha trend was growing and many people would like to see them as top guys. WWE also may have noticed most the champions in the WWE since the Cruiserweight title's retirement have been under 230lbs. Punk, Bryan, Jericho, etc.

Unfortunately most lucha-style 'cruiserweights' (e.g. Primo, Epico, Kofi (sorta) etc) don't get main event pushes because of their style, compared to brawling/mat technician 'cruiserweights' like Punk and Bryan.
No, the reason they don't get pushed is because quite frankly they aren't good enough.

·
Registered
851 Posts
WWE never really treated the Cruiserweight title well. Granted how it ended was a complete burial but they treated the cruiserweights as though they were lesser wrestlers than the guys going for the US title or the world title. I remember there was a match of Matt Hardy as the cruiserweight champ (that sentance seems funny based on the present) and Brock Lesnar as the World champ. And then we see Brock just kick the Cruiserweight title away and Matt become a jobber with barely any offense.

WWE needed to treat the title like TNA treated the X divison title during its earlier years in which it was practically equal in merit to the world title.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i was thinking the same thing but in sd vs raw 2011 they have chavo as the champ when did swagel win it and i wish they would bring it back with ppl like rey and sin cara battleing for it like i love rey but whc come on son

·
Registered
34 Posts
for that matter what happend to the hardcore title tv title euapen title ? i know i few got fazed out when the wholle invasen thang came to a end but i mean come on u got 4 belts and the under card belts dont mean shit anymore anyway

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
we already have too many titles, the CW deserved to die

the division was full of vanilla midgets who didnt draw anyway

if a CW actually does get over just send him to the US title

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
The titles I'd use in WWE

• WWE Title - Any Brand
  • Intercontinental Title - Raw
  • Cruiserweight Title - Smackdown
  • Television Title - NXT
  • Tag Team Titles - Any Brand
  • Womens Title Any Brand

Sorted!

·
Banned
690 Posts
Anybody who seriously thinks that bringing back the cruiserweight division would be a good idea needs a slap. All the division does is limit potential matchups, make it harder for tallented guys to break out and creates a stigma that all little guys are good for is spotfests.

The division is dead. Let it fucking stay that way.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Cruisweight title basically became a joke after WWE bought WCW.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Anybody who seriously thinks that bringing back the cruiserweight division would be a good idea needs a slap. All the division does is limit potential matchups, make it harder for tallented guys to break out and creates a stigma that all little guys are good for is spotfests.

The division is dead. Let it fucking stay that way.
Gotta agree with this. The Cruiserweight division was arguably only booked well from 2002 - 2004. They gave up around the point Jacqueline and Chavo Classic held the belt. After that all it did was pigeon hole guys into the division and thus they were treated as jobbers when they did anything outside of it. It should stay gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts