Wrestling Forum banner

Would you want the Cruiserweight Championship back?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • No.

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing Raw last night and Evan Bourne's work rate (the standing moonsault made me an Evan Bourne mark last night to be honest) makes me think we have plenty of cruiserweight stars with nothing to do right now. Alright, plenty of people want a Bourne main event push but having a cruiserweight title would give him something to do for now. Let's look at the current rosters and see who could fit the cruiserweight category:

I put a "?" if they could pass as not being a cruiserweight.

Evan Bourne, Caylen Croft, Chavo Guerrero, Kaval, Joey Mercury, Matt Hardy (?), Daniel Bryan, Darren Young (?, Heath Slater, Jimmy and Jey Uso, Justin Gabriel, Primo, Santino, R Truth (?), Tyson Kidd, Zack Ryder, Yoshi Tatsu.

Most of these superstars are rarely seen on Raw / SD and would atleast give them something to do and provide another card on PPVs.
Oh and keep the Matt Hardy jokes to a minimum I only put him up there because I remember he won it awhile back. Didn't put Mysterio up there since it would be stupid to take him out of the main event and put him in the Cruiserweight division.

EDIT: I'm not saying these guys should have huge storylines, it would just give you a great match to open a show, alot of these guys could put on great matches together. And slapping a title on someone regardless of how prestigious it is before you send them up to midcard / main event makes them much more credible. It frees the US / IC titles for midcarders (or main eventers like Edge who have nothing to do).

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Seeing Raw last night and Evan Bourne's work rate (the standing moonsault made me an Evan Bourne mark last night to be honest) makes me think we have plenty of cruiserweight stars with nothing to do right now. Alright, plenty of people want a Bourne main event push but having a cruiserweight title would give him something to do for now. Let's look at the current rosters and see who could fit the cruiserweight category:

Evan Bourne, Caylen Croft, Chavo Guerrero, Kaval, Joey Mercury, Matt Hardy (?), Daniel Bryan, Darren Young (?, Heath Slater, Jimmy and Jey Uso, Justin Gabriel, Primo, Santino, R Truth (?), Tyson Kidd, Zack Ryder, Yoshi Tatsu.

Most of these superstars are rarely seen on Raw / SD and would atleast give them something to do and provide another card on PPVs.
Oh and keep the Matt Hardy jokes to a minimum I only put him up there because I remember he won it awhile back. Didn't put Mysterio up there since it would be stupid to take him out of the main event and put him in the Cruiserweight division.

EDIT: I'm not saying these guys should have huge storylines, it would just give you a great match to open a show, alot of these guys could put on great matches together. And slapping a title on someone regardless of how prestigious it is before you send them up to midcard / main event makes them much more credible. It frees the US / IC titles for midcarders (or main eventers like Edge who have nothing to do).
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Matt hasn't past as a cruiserweight since he was in 5th grade.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts

No just no

The cruiser weight title will do nothing but for ever saddle the smaller guys with a "good enough belt"

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,601 Posts
Cruiserweight division holds back talent. It held back people in WCW, held back people when the WWE had it, will hold back people if it was used today.

Add that I didn't enjoy the WCW Cruiserweight division much, exception of a couple of matches.

One of those things people wanted rid of in 2007, one of those things people wanted back within the next 1-2 years.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If there was a CW Title Bryan and other Guys would be in who now at least have a slight chance being seen as Credible future Main Eventers, if they would treat it like in Japan, where it really means something to be the Lightweight Champion, but this will never happen.

·
Sax Legend of Sax Legend on YouTube
1,254 Posts

pretty sure half those guys are above the weight class

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
If there was a CW Title Bryan and other Guys would be in who now at least have a slight chance being seen as Credible future Main Eventers, if they would treat it like in Japan, where it really means something to be the Lightweight Champion, but this will never happen.
that Wont happen cause American audience wouldn't by it

how the Japanese promotions ever got their audience to treat wrestling like areal sport is beyond me

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't know maybe it would work, but Wrestling in US Main Stream now is just so far apart from being a Sport, so no i don't think so either.

And Japan is a different Country, things just work different, also there is more respect shown to everything in Japan then in USA, and when VKM pulled the Curtain and gave the People the inside look of the Business, yeah it created the Attitude Era and that's great, but once he did it, you can't take it back, it is out there and it can never be taken back.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
If they can somehow recapture 10% of what WCW had I'm for it.
That mean signing and pushing small guys. Something Vince has never really done.
But Bourne and Kaval could make for a cool like cruiserweight division. Maybe sign Generico ? (i'd mark to death).... Hewould SELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL in the PG era. I mean that's another million T-shirts Vince is missing out on.

We'd also have to all pretend to forget that Hornswoggle was the last champion so that everyone doesn't LOL at the belt.

Like Hiplop said .... only if they treat it well.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Would rather see the Hardcore Title back with the 24/7 rule on both shows.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I've said this a lot...

The WWE shouldn't bring back the Light-Heavyweight/Cruiserweight Title, because they didn't do anything with it when the had it.

The WWE would never treat a Cruiserweight Division as well as WCW did. Except for Mysterio, the other guys would never get a chance to rise in the card.

When the WWE had a Light-Heavyweight division in the '90's, they had guys that could really go like Mr. Aguila and Taka Michinoku. What did they do instead? They put the belt on fucking Gillberg for over a year!

It got a little better when they got the Cruiserweight Title from WCW, but they did things like putting the belt on Matt Hardy even though he's not a Crusierweight.

Then the last middle finger Vince gave to there ever being a good Cruiserweight division was putting the belt on Hornswoggle!

The WWE would never treat their Light-Heavyweights and Cruiserweights as well as Japan or even TNA does.

In Japan, the Jr. Heavyweights are treated as well as the Heavyweights. If not more. That would NEVER happen in the WWE.

·
"Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,030 Posts
No, not because I wouldn't like to see a credible cruiserweight division, but because they won't give a shit about like they haven't the other times they tried it. The light heavyweight title was essentially a Sunday Night Heat title and the fact that Hornswoggle is a former Cruiserweight champ show what they think of it.

·
"Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,030 Posts
I've said this a lot...

The WWE shouldn't bring back the Light-Heavyweight/Cruiserweight Title, because they didn't do anything with it when the had it.

The WWE would never treat a Cruiserweight Division as well as WCW did. Except for Mysterio, the other guys would never get a chance to rise in the card.

When the WWE had a Light-Heavyweight division in the '90's, they had guys that could really go like Mr. Aguila and Taka Michinoku. What did they do instead? They put the belt on fucking Gillberg for over a year!

It got a little better when they got the Cruiserweight Title from WCW, but they did things like putting the belt on Matt Hardy even though he's not a Crusierweight.

Then the last middle finger Vince gave to there ever being a good Cruiserweight division was putting the belt on Hornswoggle!

The WWE would never treat their Light-Heavyweights and Cruiserweights as well as Japan or even TNA does.

In Japan, the Jr. Heavyweights are treated as well as the Heavyweights. If not more. That would NEVER happen in the WWE.
Bingo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts