Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I would say it is down to a combination of the character's not having enough about them to make the crowd buy into what they are doing and also because of the booking and storylines that we now see because they do not do enough to make the crowd care anywhere near as much as they did a decade ago. Right now there isn't anyone who comes to near to the reactions that John Cena get's and his are nowhere near what we would see with Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock in between 1998 and 2002, look at The Undertaker as another example because he get's nowhere near the reaction's that he used to do years ago.

·
Offto Club?
1,275 Posts
TBH, when I watch wwe on the internet listening through my head phones, I can hear the crowd more clearly and it sounds like they are more livley than when I watch it on TV.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
TBH, when I watch wwe on the internet listening through my head phones, I can hear the crowd more clearly and it sounds like they are more livley than when I watch it on TV.
Yeah definitely, i sometimes download RAW and SMACKDOWN seeing as how we get a shortened 1hour raw over here each week, smackdown is also shortened to 1 hour and well NXT and superstars are just 1 hour anyway so...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
it doesn't have anything to do with the pg era. its because of the youth movement. the young stars really haven't had their character built up enough to have the fans care about them. 5 or 6 years from now the crowds will be very hot again. if you notice, the guys that have been there for a while still get great reactions, cena, orton, taker, mysterio,hhh,edge,christian, goldust...still get very good reaction from the crowd. guys like dibiasi jr, sheamus, swagger, mcintyre, rhodes, ziggler are guys that are the future of the company, that if pushed right will get to the level of crowd reaction as the guys mentioned before them. its just going to take time. however there are a few exceptions with guys like kingston, morrison and punk that are the future of the business and still get great reactions from the crowd.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
I actually remember a simliar thread a while ago concerning crowd reactions, and I'm going to respond the same way I did to that thread.

The biggest problem now with the crowd is that WWE has in many ways "pushed" the crowd away and actually has made them a less essential part of the program. In recent years, with the implementation of the HD stage, enhanced production and a heavy emphasis on WWE programming being more of an entertainment spectacle, the crowd sits and watches matches and promos while remaining relatively quiet. In a very literal way, they are being "entertained", not being part the entertainment.

Small changes that have taken place in recent years in WWE programing have added up to change the role that the crowd plays in the over all WWE program. For example, WWE's implimentation of basking the crowd in colored lights during promo's has yes, looked nice on TV, but completely disconnects the crowd from the superstar in the ring. It has turned the tone of an in-ring promo into more of a play or a speech or something that is is being talked AT the audience - not TO the audience.

People always comment on how dead WWE crowds are now (and I couldn't agree more), but it is not necessarily the crowd's fault. WWE has changed the way fans watch and engage with the product. I for one, miss the old crowds that were loud and going nuts even for the smallest matches on the card. Times like in the Attitude Era, when literally every single person on the roster was over and garnered the proper reaction they were suppose to as a face or heel.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
If you aren't already massively over like an established star, in the middle of a push or don't have some sort of over gimmick then you don't get a reaction. Take Raw as the perfect example. HHH didn't even appear on the damn screen and he got a pop, Santino has an over gimmick and he always gets pops, Miz is in the middle of this sustained push he's been getting and he gets a reaction. Other than the usual suspects in Cena, Orton, Barrett and Seamus, nobody else got a peep. They need to work harder in developing engaging storylines for the mid card imo, that way people aren't only waiting to see the top names but will also have an interest in some of the other things too.

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
Faces (specifically non-main eventers) are all bland, smiling puppets with no personality, that's why. None of them have a character, they're just a group of guys in colourful outfits who like to fight against the bad guys (who are actually interesting). Why would anybody want to cheer for them?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Waiting for someone to blame this on PG
Well there's no denying that the PG-rating is a factor since it takes away from some people's arsenals, especially when WWE continue to use matches like HIAC. It is only one factor however:

- The lack of a strong competitor means there's no real incentive to be innovative.

- No companies of similar size to WWE means that very few people can come in and be an instant hit based on past acchievements elsewhere; 10 years ago, WWE could bring in the likes of Jericho, DDP, Taz, Raven and The Dudleys to massive pops, earlier, they could bring in Dibiase, Roberts, The Bushwhackers, Duggan and Race.

- Lack of jobber matches means that it's hard to really establish a wrestler before throwing them up against more established guys. Tatanka debuted in 1991, going undefeated for 18 months. During this time the fans were able to get used to his move-set, know what to pop for and when to do so, recognise his finish. That could not be accheived today without apparently burying most of the roster.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
the crowd in long island for 1st nov monday night raw was so quiet:(..you could actually hear one guy about 8 rows back shouting laaaaaaaaaaaaaaylaaaaaaaaaaaa over and over fpalm, coz no-one was drowning him out! lol even layla noticed it and motioned him to shut-up! lol
this would not have been heard if the rest of the crowd actually got into things and made some noise, it was not just the diva match either..

too many mums and kids i guess, need more drunk single guys in their 20's to make some noise! lol
i have noticed all crowds seem to be very quiet, it's a pity coz the louder the crowd, it helps the t.v viewer get into it aswell

pls no pumping of crowd noise though WWE, i'd rather it be quiet than fake reactions :no:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts