Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people are criticizing WWE for -- supposedly -- having Paul Heyman rank Roman Reigns over Bruno Sammartino, Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, and John Cena ("I'll put my money on Roman Reigns").

This criticism evidences the dumbness of the WWE fanbase, viz. the inability to understand the concept of unreliable narration.

Heyman, indeed, said that Roman Reigns is above those names in a literal sense, but the tone was obviously sardonic. On the RAW after Royal Rumble, Heyman insulted Reigns, saying he didn't respect him, so how can he reasonably change within a few weeks? In addition, we should note that the praises all culminated with Heyman's line, "But at Wrestlemania 30, my money is not on Roman Reigns -- my money is on Brock" (paraphrase). Heyman's goal was to get into Roman Reigns' head and thereby help Brock Lesnar.

Heyman the character did not truly mean that Roman Reigns is greater than the aforesaid people, nor does it reflect WWE's opinion on this matter.

The misguided negative reaction shows that WWE fans are too stupid for subtleties.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: Criticisms over Heyman's promo -- Proof that WWE Fans are dumb

Many people are criticizing WWE for -- supposedly -- having Paul Heyman rank Roman Reigns over Bruno Sammartino, Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, and John Cena ("I'll put my money on Roman Reigns").

This criticism evidences the dumbness of the WWE fanbase, viz. the inability to understand the concept of unreliable narration.

Heyman, indeed, said that Roman Reigns is above those names in a literal sense, but the tone was obviously sardonic. On the RAW after Royal Rumble, Heyman insulted Reigns, saying he didn't respect him, so how can he reasonably change within a few weeks? In addition, we should note that the praises all culminated with Heyman's line, "But at Wrestlemania 30, my money is not on Roman Reigns -- my money is on Brock" (paraphrase). Heyman's goal was to get into Roman Reigns' head and thereby help Brock Lesnar.

Heyman the character did not truly mean that Roman Reigns is greater than the aforesaid people, nor does it reflect WWE's opinion on this matter.

The misguided negative reaction shows that WWE fans are too stupid for subtleties.
While I agree with you for the most part, didn't Heyman say that he respected Reigns and his lineage in the Raw after the rumble? I believe it was Brock that said he didn't respect Reigns

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

I think most people got that it was sarcasm.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,744 Posts

Hey look it is the daily thread featuring WRESTLING FANS saying WRESTLING FANS are stupid. You guys really hate your own lives I guess

:ha

As for the OP, where I am sure there are some who didn't "get it" most people that I talk to "got it" and understood what the WWE was going for there, my only issue was they took it a little over the top, and the point was made after the first few guys Heyman mentioned, didn't need to take it to the lengths they did.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

While I agree with you for the most part, didn't Heyman say that he respected Reigns and his lineage in the Raw after the rumble? I believe it was Brock that said he didn't respect Reigns
Brock said, "I'm like him [i.e. - Heyman] ... I don't respect you." Heyman talked glowingly about Reigns' lineage only to lead into a snide reference to Summerslam 2002 and the question, "How will it feel to disappoint your family?" Like last night's praises, Heyman's praises towards Reigns' lineage was sardonic.

·
Banned
66 Posts

I agree that most fans are unintelligent, including and especially you.

Heyman never said he didn't respect Reigns. He said the exact opposite actually. It was Brock who said he didn't respect him.

Furthermore, if you watched The Shield documentary that came out around last year's SummerSlam, Heyman praised Reigns in that as well.

Does Heyman actually believe the things he is saying about Reigns? Who knows. I would like to think that if Heyman was in charge that Reigns would be nowhere near the main event.

·
Banned
66 Posts

Brock said, "I'm like him [i.e. - Heyman] ... I don't respect you." Heyman talked glowingly about Reigns' lineage only to lead into a snide reference to Summerslam 2002 and the question, "How will it feel to disappoint your family?" Like last night's praises, Heyman's praises towards Reigns' lineage was sardonic.
He said "unlike him."

Are you going to continue to humiliate yourself in your own thread?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

Knowing WWE, you are giving them way too much credit. You're better off thinking they literally meant what Heyman said, instead of thinking they are capable of such subtleties.

·
Registered
542 Posts

No, he said "Unlike him, I don't respect you" - meaning that, while Heyman might respect Roman Reigns' family heritage, Brock doesn't give a fuck about it.

·
Oh, What a Day! What A Lovely Day!
3,568 Posts

On the Raw after the Rumble, Heyman said he always respected Roman so i don't know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

No, he said "Unlike him, I don't respect you" - meaning that, while Heyman might respect Roman Reigns' family heritage, Brock doesn't give a fuck about it.
He said "unlike him."

Are you going to continue to humiliate yourself in your own thread?

Even if he did say "Unlike him" as opposed to "I'm like him," the point remains that Heyman was likely sardonic because the praises led to a snide reference to Summerslam 2002 and the question, "How will it feel to disappoint your family?" He created the illusion that he respected Reigns only to pull the rug from under his feet, just as he did last night.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Just watched the segment again.. brock definitely says "Unlike him"

·
NEWCASTLE UNITED
2,879 Posts

Wrestling fans in general are known to be uneducated, underachieving people with a low IQ. You can only pity them.
So you're not a wrestling fan then?

·
Banned
66 Posts

Even if he did say "Unlike him" as opposed to "I'm like him," the point remains that Heyman was likely sardonic because the praises led to a snide reference to Summerslam 2002 and the question, "How will it feel to disappoint your family?" He created the illusion that he respected Reigns only to pull the rug from under his feet, just as he did last night.
It wasn't sardonic. He was legitimately putting him over, just as he was told to do in The Shield documentary, which he did.

No shit he wasn't going to come out and say that his money would be on Reigns when he faces Brock. He's going to build up his client, which is to be expected. But make no mistake about it, he was legitimately putting Reigns over in that promo, just as he did in his promo after the Rumble and on The Shield documentary.

·
I mark for me
11,419 Posts

Don't think it was sardonic, nor do I think it's anything to get offended by.

Heyman is doing what Heyman does, and what he does better than anyone else, he's building a fight. He's putting Reigns over, much like he did in the sit-down interview, because Reigns can't put himself over, and then, by extension, putting Lesnar over as better than all of those guys as well.

One of your points remains the same, fans are too sensitive.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts

I don't know what there was to criticize about it to be honest. Oh, Paul Heyman threw in Roman's name with a bunch of Legends and said he would put his money on him, and people are up in arms about it. I mean, if there isn't a better time to use the phrase, "grasping at straws", when it comes to those people who were turned off by it, I don't know how else to put it. If the roles were reversed and their favorite was in Reigns' position, they'd be completely fine with it.

A promo's a promo. It baffles me as to why anyone would be so upset or annoyed at what Heyman said. People take this stuff too way too seriously.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts