·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Creed 3 is moving forward with Michael B Jordan, but with a big change
But is Sly coming back?

BY JOE ANDERTON
26/02/2020

The Creed revival has been quite the success – the first film was a critical and commercial hit that led to Michael B Jordan and Ryan Coogler working together on Black Panther, and while the sequel didn't reach the same heights, it was full of solid performances.

Now, a third Creed movie is moving forward, but with a big change behind the scenes.

Coogler wrote the original, while Juel Taylor and Sylvester Stallone were behind the sequel. However, The Hollywood Reporter says that Zach Baylin will be writing this one.

Baylin looks set to be a big name in the scriptwriting industry, as he wrote the upcoming movie King Richard, which is actually about the father of Venus and Serena Williams. Will Smith will be playing the main character in it and producing.

Not much is known about the third Creed movie, other than it probably being a while off due to Michael B Jordan's busy schedule and the lack of a director.

One thing we'd very much like to know is if Sly will be back as Rocky Balboa. Around the time of Creed 2's release, he stated that he was practically done with the character, and the film sent Rocky off to Vancouver to patch things up with his son, which seems like a good place to leave him.

However, Ivan Drago actor Dolph Lundgren has said that he doesn't think Stallone will really give up playing the character.

He's probably done playing Rambo, however, after last year's instalment was panned by critics, fans, and the original creator of the character.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
The only appearance Sly needs to do is a single scene propping up Donny to win the fight. They're never going to move on if they insist on Rocky being a main part of the franchise.

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts
Yeah when I saw Creed 2 and the moment where Rocky is sitting in Chair telling Adonis it's your time or that effect I felt like were not gonna see Rocky again unless...he really...REALLY needs a Speech kinda how Micky talked to Rocky or should I say had a flashback of Micky giving Rocky his Cuff Links from Rocky Rocky Marciano. What I wanna know is where do you go from here for Adonis' Character? He battled his Demons and won and is still Heavyweight Champion could they go the route with Rocky 3 of him being arrogant and a young challenger wipes the floor with him? I mean Drago's Son nearly killed him so it would really need to be extremely bad for him I guess to have impact I feel. I wonder if they would be willing to kill off Rocky finally with a Time Skip too. Either way I'm in.

·
Premium Member
43,820 Posts
Rocky's story is done and it'll be weird not having him there, but its Creed's story at this point and the torch has been passed.

What I want out of a third movie? I have some ideas:

1) OLYMPICS!!! That would be awesome. Have Creed take part in the boxing competitions of the Olympics and that could also be a way to get Viktor Drago back in the mix as well and they can do some kind of a reconciliation there between the two families.

2) Do a reference to the McGregor/Mayweather fight, but flip it: Put the boxer in the MMA cage! Creed would have to train in a completely different style to win the fight.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,650 Posts
@Triple G; Doesn't Sly look down on MMA in real life? I doubt he'd steer into that lane if he had input moving forward.

I don't know what you can do with the franchise moving forward because all the story arcs have been covered. Hell, the movie Southpaw even got to the, "murder the wife" angle first. And I'd hate for them to go the, "he's going/gone to prison" angle as well.

I would be interested in them tackling the fact that boxing is rigged at times though. That would be a great new story to tackle.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There will always be stories. The conflicts do not even have to be new; simply by breathing something authentic and in no way the standard Hollywood tinselry, Ryan Coogler and Steven Caple, Jr. created two superb films that are both excellent sequels to the "Rocky" series-specific films and stand on their own as propulsive, engaging works. Stormbringer's idea of a boxing film revisiting the machinations of promoters, gamblers and other assorted figures, while itself something of a rich cliche of the sub-genre, would potentially find great immediacy with Adonis Creed at the center of the drama.

As for Sylvester Stallone, have to think he would return for at least a cameo if nothing else. Which is fine, but it also seemed apparent that this series was going to remain Adonis's, and only further develop him rather than necessarily dwelling on the past in Rocky Balboa, as it should.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts