Wrestling Forum banner

Creative told to ignore HHH/Taker's Mania 17 encounter

4534 Views 40 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  JigsawKrueger
Report: WWE Creative Told Not To Mention WMania 17 Match
by Nick Paglino
Mar 08, 2011 F4WOnline.com is reporting that the WWE creative team has been told not to mention or have either Triple H or The Undertaker reference their match at WrestleMania 17.

As most are aware, 'Taker and Triple H wrestled each other 10 years ago at WrestleMania, and of course The Undertaker won. But WWE wants to put Triple H over as a credible threat to The Undertaker's streak, so creative has been told not to have the bout mentioned on TV so that the marketability of the WrestleMania 27 match is not hurt, nor is the fan's perception that Triple H can actually end the streak.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/art...ve-told-not-to-mention-wmania-17-match-125588

I understand where they are coming from, but is it even necessary as i'm sure 90% (atleast) of the current audience knows about the match and who won the match. I'm also sure Taker mentioned beating Trips, or it was alteast referenced in the build up tho his last two Mania matches.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Banned
4,476 Posts
Easy. The 8 year olds have probably never even heard of WrestleMania X-Seven. So, if WWE doesn't tell them about it, it never happened.

· Registered
1,930 Posts
Easy. The 8 year olds have probably never even heard of WrestleMania X-Seven. So, if WWE doesn't tell them about it, it never happened.
Yeah, but what 8 year old these days gets to watching wrestling without having somebody older getting them into it first? Wrestling fandom tends to run in the family usually lol... I'm sure someone has informed the tikes this isn't the first time they wrestled in some fashion.

Plus, like I mentioned 10,000 times before, if a kid is that much of a fan, they would have already found out about their last match already through the internet. YouTube is a wonderful thing.

WWE ignoring it shows how stupid this match is. It's totally thrown together, I don't care how many folks say it's been in the cards for months. If this is honestly the best they can do, I'm afraid for the future lol.

· Banned
4,205 Posts
This makes no sense.

Most people who go to, or order wrestlemania, are the older male fans, not little kids.

90& of the audience will remember the match at WM17.

· Registered
173 Posts
it could have something to do with the fact that back then it wasnt so much about the streak and more about the hatred they had for one another as the streak wasnt so powerful back then and now its about ending the streak which means there is a fresh backstory
They still could mention it to build up the fued. Because right now there's no backstory without it.

· Childish Gambino Is #1
6,262 Posts
This is stupid!
Nothing more, nothing less.
Just stupid.

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This makes no sense.

Most people who go to, or order wrestlemania, are the older male fans, not little kids.

90& of the audience will remember the match at WM17.
True true, one thing that baffles me though is they are ignoring it to make Trips seemingly have legitimate chance of ending the streak ahead of everyone else yet the build has been the same as every Mania match Taker has had in the last 6 years (minus the recent HBK one). Saying how they're 'going to be the man end the streak', when i'm sure a good 85% of fans know Trips ain't going to win. As year in year out it's the same result when they say they're going to end it. Minus the recent HBK as I said as that was MUCH more believable.

· Registered
7,766 Posts
Yeah, but what 8 year old these days gets to watching wrestling without having somebody older getting them into it first? Wrestling fandom tends to run in the family usually lol... I'm sure someone has informed the tikes this isn't the first time they wrestled in some fashion.

Plus, like I mentioned 10,000 times before, if a kid is that much of a fan, they would have already found out about their last match already through the internet. YouTube is a wonderful thing.

WWE ignoring it shows how stupid this match is. It's totally thrown together, I don't care how many folks say it's been in the cards for months. If this is honestly the best they can do, I'm afraid for the future lol.
kids and teens don't care enough to go back and watch past shows.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
They shouldn't ignore it, they should build on it.

If I was part of WWE Creative, I'd recount the previous bout as a clash of two very different men, because, quite frankly, it was; Triple H was a heel, and the Undertaker was just a biker. And I'd fashion a tale of how both men have come into their own in the ensuing years, with each tapping into their awesome match prowess since their last match.

Not exactly 100% true, but that would be the way I'd spin it.

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kid and teens don't care enough to go back and watch past shows.
The kids fair enough but not too sure about the teens, teens these days spend half their life on the net surely a past Mania (they will/would come across it at some stage) encounter would spark interest so they atleast watch it.

· Registered
20,766 Posts
Makes sense. They are trying to build HHH up as Taker's biggest threat to ending the streak ever in the year 2011. Bringing up WM17 will kill the momentum behind the threat. And so what if the majority of fans already know about it? What's the point of bringing it up to satisfy those people?

· Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,387 Posts
They showed it on video packages last year, which is the most ridiculous thing. Every year building up to the streak they show a VT of his wins so far, will they just do away with that this year, or cut out the WM X-7 match?

· Registered
7,766 Posts
The kids fair enough but not too sure about the teens, teens these days spend half their life on the net surely a past Mania (they will/would come across it at some stage) encounter would spark interest so they atleast watch it.
They spend alot of time on the net, but they ain't watching old WWF matches.

Teens are about the here and the now, i can't remember the last time i overheard my nephews talking about an old song or album.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.