Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just dawned on me today that Vince McManhon with WWE, Dixie Carter with TNA, and now Tony Khan with AEW all had/have their parents money to start or keeping a wrestling business.

My parents make a decent-ish living but they dont make a fraction of what their parents made. If my folks id most likely ask if I could start my own wrestling business.

Lucky to be born into a wealthy family and have a love for the wrestling business.

To bad from what iv read Dixie screwed up TNA real bad to the point they could have been out of business a couple times but they bounce back everytime.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It just dawned on me today that Vince McManhon with WWE, Dixie Carter with TNA, and now Tony Khan with AEW all had/have their parents money to start or keeping a wrestling business.

My parents make a decent-ish living but they dont make a fraction of what their parents made. If my folks id most likely ask if I could start my own wrestling business.

Lucky to be born into a wealthy family and have a love for the wrestling business.

To bad from what iv read Dixie screwed up TNA real bad to the point they could have been out of business a couple times but they bounce back everytime.
Vince grew up in a trailer park, he also took out a loan to buy wwwf if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Yeah it is a bit different. Vince did not meet his dad until he was almost a teenager and then worked for him starting as a ring announcer and worked his way up over ten + years learning the ins and outs of the business. Vince Sr. was not anywhere close to being a billionaire either. And as far as I remember he had to take out loans to buy his father out. A bit different than being given money to start your own company as CEO. Not that I have a huge problem with that, but it is quite a different story.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yeah it is a bit different. Vince did not meet his dad until he was almost a teenager and then worked for him starting as a ring announcer and worked his way up over ten + years learning the ins and outs of the business. Vince Sr. was not anywhere close to being a billionaire either. And as far as I remember he had to take out loans to buy his father out. A bit different than being given money to start your own company as CEO. Not that I have a huge problem with that, but it is quite a different story.
I hope Vince writes a tell all book one day. His story is so fascinating. Also I am fairly sure GLOW was mocking this with the owner coming from a rich family

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
I hope Vince writes a tell all book one day. His story is so fascinating. Also I am fairly sure GLOW was mocking this with the owner coming from a rich family
Now THAT would be the most shocking thing to ever happen if he did that. I put the possibility at about 0.0001% but if it happened I would be reading it day one.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
The time to write a book would be around the time the XFL announces big TV deals, provided that happens. Then you've got the failure turned to success story there.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Vince bought the company off his father.

He gambled everything and ownership of the company on Wrestlemania 1. Had it failed ownership would have reverted back to Vince sr business partners among them gorilla monsoon. Fortunately for Vince it was massively successful and WWF became dominant promotion in North America

·
Registered
61 Posts
If i was your father and you asked me for a hand out to start a wrestling company, id tell you to earn it. By the sounds of it , sounds like you have no idea how to run a business whatsoever and would b bankrupt in the first year. If you were to come to me with a idea for a actual business idea where you could actual set yourself up . Now we are talking.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're wrong

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
You're wrong
What's he wrong about?

It's well known fact Vince grew up in a trailer park with abusive stepdad (who Vince almost killed protecting his mother). Met his dad in his teenage years, eventually got a job with him.

Began promoting his own shows while still working for his dad including Evel Knievel show. Himself and Linda declared bankruptcy in late 70s due to series of failed personal ventures.

Bought out his father and his dad's backers in 82 (WWE were generating less than $10 million annually so it's unlikely his dad was a millionaire never mind a billionaire). WWWF under Vince sr had only one real source of revenue and that was ticket sales from live events in Northeast.

Vince took gamble on Wrestlemania 1 so much so that the loans he had borrowed would have seen him having to declare bankruptcy again had show failed (which it looked like it was going to do 3 weeks out until Hogan and Mr T appeared on SNL and the rest is history). Had Vince lost control of WWF in 1985 ownership would have reverted back to Vince Srs original backers Monsoon, Skaaland.

This stuff is well known. Dave Meltzer who is not a fan of Vince or his business practices and was going to quit wrestling all together in 84 because of what Vince was doing (he wrote that in his newsletter at the time) will tell you same story.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It’s true that Vince wasn’t just handed a pile of money to go and start his own wrestling promotion from scratch. From a financing standpoint, he had to do it himself. But he was actually handed somerging much better: an already built wrestling company that was based out of the biggest media market in the world. Yeah Vince took it to another level but you could argue that the company was already rounding 2nd and on its way to 3rd when Vince took it over and took it the rest of the way home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's well documented that if Vince missed even 1 payment to his father the company would revert to Monsoon, Skaaland and a 3rd partner I cant remember. Lets not gloss over it. Vince McMahon is an amazing promoter. The moves he made in the mid 80's and even the late 90's flat out great business decisions. A booker....well thats a seperate issue.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If i was your father and you asked me for a hand out to start a wrestling company, id tell you to earn it. By the sounds of it , sounds like you have no idea how to run a business whatsoever and would b bankrupt in the first year. If you were to come to me with a idea for a actual business idea where you could actual set yourself up . Now we are talking.
Who are you taking to?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts