Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Figured I'd try making some sigs and try to get a bit better at photoshop seeing as I have some time on my hands and the whole GFX section reboot is going on. I'd appreciate any feedback on the 3 below, and they're in my order of worst to best from top to bottom.

Older version: http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv285/ShowtimeLTD/MIZ2.jpg

Older Version: http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv285/ShowtimeLTD/punk.jpg

My biggest problems at the minute are trying to figure out how to fill space (which is why I think I like the cole one is the best, I could slap a ton of catchphrases onto it) and not knowing photoshop as well as I think I should.

· Pronouns: They/Them/Their
13,230 Posts
Blue doesn't work on the first one, he has red in his shirt, utilize the colour scheme and see how that goes, i like the Punk one, the white is a bit overkill but it's a decent sig, Michael Cole one is alright oo, there's nothing much going on really so not much to rate.

· Premium Member
37,916 Posts
Yeah the CM Punk one is by far my favourite (I would have used a psd from after he joined Nexus though). Agreed with AWESOM-O, pay attention to the colours used in renders as there's a good chance they'll be the best colours to use in the sig.

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback, I quickly messed around with the Punk and Miz ones according to what you both said and the Miz one definitely looks better but I could probably improve that more if I properly edited it (I think the red I chose is maybe a little too loud for starters).

As for the punk one I agree that it would have looked better with a Nexus psd, as that also goes with the colour scheme a bit better, and the white on the first one is a little unnecessary, but the changes I've made to that one probably would have looked better if that had been the way I'd done it from the beginning.

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This Barrett banner is the newest thing I've done since the first 3 and tbh I'm a bit more pleased with this once, I can still see that theres probably a ton of stuff that could be improved, but I think it looks distinctly less..amateurish than the others which is something I thought about them from the start.

Any opinions would be great =]

After looking at this in the post preview I'm feeling like the top left corner just doesn't look right as well.

5,161 Posts
Banner is quite good imo. The top right corner is the one that doesn't fit if I'm honest though. One more thing is that I'd try using the burn and dodge tools a bit more to shade the main cut a little better. It seems like it was just pasted there. Otherwise, banner has been constructed well and the colorscheme works. Keep it up :)

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for telling me to mess about with those two tools, hadn't bothered using them before but it was exactly what I was looking for, I'd been trying to shade cuts by overlaying gradients and blurring things over them but thats much more effective. Not that I did much to the banner with it but I think it does look like it fits in a bit better because certain areas are less bright.

As for the top right corner I probably would have had the picture that's in the top left go all the way across if it was big enough, but it looked quite empty without anything there and I couldn't think of anything else.

· Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
8,847 Posts
I'd actually be really tempted to use that Micheal Cole signature, I'm secretly a cole miner.

The only one I don't like is the Miz one because the text for "the Miz" looks kind of like a really basic gardient, would actually probably look better without it.

Reactions: Trigger

· FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
14,459 Posts
Hello.

~ What you have here is a good understanding of how to compose a graphic, but without the complete skills to quite achieve it atm.

~ For example, I really like the Miz banner idea with the varying sized black & white shots. I like how it's all placed. The problem is that you've ruined a good idea by using those horrible red brushes, which are overbearing and sloppy. The red glow around your cut would be good if it weren't so standard and in your face; play around more with the size, opacity of the glow - the angles and such are all too obvious, imo.

~ The typography on that same banner is also a bit lazy. It's placed well, but it's just tacked on. That font is gay.

~ Burn/Dodge are your friend. Duplicating existing layers and playing around with them can add good depth to pieces, too. Also look into grading; saturation, levels, contrast etc to get a more consistent colour set on them. You've started doing that better with your Punk banner.

~ Speaking of which, that CM Punk one is much better. Your cut is a good size and well placed. Colour scheme is spot on and it feels cohesive. Maybe a subtle drop shadow around Punk would pop him out in the centre a bit more. The typefaces are better than before, if a little 'clean cut'.

~ Hate the Cole one, sorry. The text is a disaster and the composition is all over the place. The cut doesn't stick out and it's basically just a collection of horrible, bog standard blending effects. That brown gradient you have going on makes me sick. Less of this. Harsh but I think I have to say it.

~ Wade Barrett one is actually showing good signs of improvement. Nice dominating cut and MUCH improved use of text. I notice you've popped the cut out on the background too, which I alluded to when I saw the Punk banner. It looks a much more controlled piece. Only issue I have is the slightly blurry background cut. Maybe Filters > Sharpen might help it.

~ Basically, you're inconsistent. You show signs of being real good but then go and make shit like that Cole banner. Work on your techniques and really spend time in the blending effects area playing around. Don't settle for a standard drop shadow when you can customize it for your needs etc.

Hope I helped.

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only just noticed your replies to this while looking through the ratings section, otherwise I'd have responded sooner. Thats probably the best feedback I've received for anything so it's much appreciated, cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.