Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say Billionaire Ted really wanted to win the war and offered $50 Million to Austin, Would they have been able to take Austin? I would imagine just 1 Austin vs Goldberg match would recoup that money. How would Austin have done in WCW if he jumped ship after establishing himself in WM14?

·
Registered
744 Posts
It would've been terrible. They probably would've given away Austin vs. Goldberg for free on Nitro, or had the NWO beat them both up. Or he would've been feuding with Bret Hart over the US title. Either way, would've sucked and killed his career, he would be looked at as a sell out and a wuss for crawling back to the guys who didn't care about him when he was down and out.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
after the way he got fired by bischoff?

no

no chance in hell

i think he took personal pleasure in running Hogan and eric, the guys who held him down, into the ground

·
Premium Member
15,359 Posts
Nah.

The same guys that fucked him over were still in charge. Another man's trash is another man's treasure. Why would you go back to those that threw you in the trash in the first place?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Austin was fired by WCW Vice President Eric Bischoff, after suffering a triceps injury, while wrestling on a Japanese tour; Bischoff and WCW did not see Austin as a 'marketable' wrestler. Austin described his opinion on being fired over the phone as Eric Bischoff having taken the coward's way out. WCW was so stupid!

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
WCW was the same company notorious for not utilizing guys properly (which Austin could speak of from personal experience), why would be trust crawling back to them? Especially when it was clear the tide had already shifted in the 'war.'

·
Registered
844 Posts
In WCW's defense, I don't think anyone could have predicted Austin becoming so big in WWE. I don't think WWE even thought it would happen. Pretty sure Austin has even said as much. They didn't really have big plans for him when he first got there. They just slapped some generic Ringmaster gimmick on him and that was it. He only got the King of the Ring push because HHH got in trouble for the curtain call incident at MSG. KOTR went over great. Austin 3:16 was born. It probably led to him getting to feud with Bret upon his return and off he went.

I have no idea if he was ever a free agent around 1998. I doubt he would have left though. He really had no motivation to leave. WWE was becoming by far the superior brand. He was the top guy in the WWE and the business as a whole at that point and I'm sure WWE would have made competitive offers to keep him given how much of a cash cow he was at the time.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
IF (& it's a massive if) WCW had managed to get him back they'd have cocked it up anyway & simply made his arrival all about how he'd fit into the nWo storyline. That is true for any top AE WWF star also.

I mean look at what they did to Bret Hart: His arrival in WCW should have been HUGE but Bischoff made it all about the nWo & it killed the momentum. The same thing happened to Mr Perfect & Rick Rude & established WCW stars became swept up in it too such as: The Giant, Randy Savage, Sting, Goldberg, Luger etc. There wasn't a "star" in WCW that wasn't a part of the nWo storyline, which was cool when it was hot but ran WAY over it's course & ultimately was one of the reasons why the product bombed so hard post 98.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Honestly, I'm going to go against the grain here and say if WCW offered Stone Cold 50 million dollars for a 3 year deal or something he'd of taken it regardless of who was in charge.

I don't think it's realistic to think they'd offer one guy 50 million though especially when wages of guys like Hall, Hulk and Nash would of had to of been put on the same money because of what was in their contract.

I think if they offered him a high realistic figure though (Say 3-4 million) he'd of told them to shove it and would of stayed with the WWF.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
In fairness to WCW Austin was never Main Eventing anywhere with his Jeff Daniels hair cut. Sometimes people need to reinvent themselves and a change of landscape is really the only way that could have happened for Austin.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Austin had personal issues with WCW and by late 98 (unlike say 12 months earlier) the WWF was the more attractive destination for stars. So no...not much chance of getting him at all. Maybe in 96/97,

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Not a chance. He was on the run of his career plus he knew of the shit booking and all other negatives about WCW, on top of his termination

"Not marketable" :hayden3

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm pretty sure Austin didn't have the rights to the Stone Cold character at the time. So, he wouldn't be able to do what made him so popular onthe first place. Plus, he wouldn't have been "the man" in WCW amongst Hogan, Nash, Goldberg, Sting etc. Plus, there's no way he'd want to work for Bischoff again. So,could WCW have stolen Austin in 1998? My answer is Mr. McMahon's theme song. "No Chance in Hell."

Reactions: Eduard Khil

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Nah, Austin still hadn't forgiven Bischoff at the time. I just can't imagine him jumping ship from the company that saved his career to go back to the company that tried to destroy it. He put them out of business and rightfully so.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Let's say Billionaire Ted really wanted to win the war and offered $50 Million to Austin, Would they have been able to take Austin? I would imagine just 1 Austin vs Goldberg match would recoup that money. How would Austin have done in WCW if he jumped ship after establishing himself in WM14?
He would've jobbed to Hogan then turned heel and been the Outsiders lacky.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Honestly, I'm going to go against the grain here and say if WCW offered Stone Cold 50 million dollars for a 3 year deal or something he'd of taken it regardless of who was in charge.

I don't think it's realistic to think they'd offer one guy 50 million though especially when wages of guys like Hall, Hulk and Nash would of had to of been put on the same money because of what was in their contract.

I think if they offered him a high realistic figure though (Say 3-4 million) he'd of told them to shove it and would of stayed with the WWF.
Hall and Nash had contracts that would raise their pay to match whatever the highest paid guy at the time was getting. There's no way Austin would get close to 50 million or even 20 million for that matter.

·
Banned
586 Posts
Would never of happened, Austin had a personal vendetta against Bischoff and wanted nothing more then to prove him and WCW wrong. In 1998 he was doing just that, so no way would he of ever gone back there.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
50 Million? :lmao
He would've left to WCW for 5 million.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts