Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's without a doubt one of the, if not the greatest WWE star of all time. So what do you think?

If the answer's no, I think that explains many of the problems with the current product.

· Registered
7,988 Posts
Stone Cold would not work in this environment how would Austin flip the bird drink beer kick anyones ass and curse. WWE tried to make Orton a bad ass anti-hero in PG and it's come off so lame Orton needs to be a heel again he works better as a heel

· Banned
319 Posts
Course he could. It would just be toned down and less entertaining.

Reactions: Shock

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Yes. It could. Steve Austin was a masterful performer. When we say there's no way that it could ever work, we're fundamentally saying that he could not have overcome the "hurdles" of a cleaner, more family-friendly, product. I think he most certainly could. Would it have been the same thing? Not entirely. But the general form of the character, as embodied by Austin, could "thrive" in the current era.

Reactions: Whake

· Registered
4,644 Posts
WWE tried to make Orton a bad ass anti-hero in PG and it's come off so lame Orton needs to be a heel again he works better as a heel
1+!!! WWE tried it but it failed and gone downhil so quick, in that period Orton could have gone more over than Cena if WWE turn up the volume on him. it's shock to me Orton still got big cheers without on MIC for more than 4-6 months(i remember him on mic as last week on smackdown) and Orton still got over, i was root for orton at that time but times goes by he got stale. This proves to me fans like baddass anti-hero/Anti-authority character. how about Daniel bryan promo on NXT? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCByjANl75k he got very over with that promo and he might be the guy if they gave him Anti-authority type of role. Under TV-14 more guys could have been more over and work better than under PG product.

· Kerser is the sickest.
1,547 Posts
If you placed his exact character he had into this current product not limiting his abilities of course. It'd be just like the 3:16 speech, he'd begin something new again and be adored. However if you place the limitations on him, his character would be the blank CAW on SmackDown vs. RAW.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Austin said himself it wouldn't work, so that pretty much ends the debate. As far as the performer himself, well, of course he could thrive today. He has more charisma than anyone in the history of the business, he would just need to adapt his character the way Cena has.

· Registered
654 Posts
Austin had the talent to make it in any era. I think he's be a main eventer in today's era, but it would be the same bland formulaic style we see with Cena and Orton. The IWC would have loved Orton or Cena if they had been part of the attitude era because both would be able to have an edge to their character. Anyone who remembers Cena's heel rapper gimmick knows he could have been awesome back in the day.

So yeah, Austin would be playing a big role, no matter the era. But if he was active today, he'd be another victim of the PG rating like Cena and Orton and a host of other guys.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Well not as the character he portrayed in between 1997 and 2000 because that was pure attitude but the character he was in between mid 2001 and early 2003 could definitely because he was more comedic and much reserved in what he said and what he did in the ring. WWE completely toned Stone Cold Steve Austin down in the middle of 2001 despite him being a heel and once he turned face again he was nothing like he was in between 1997 and 2000 so i think that he would be fine in this era if he returned.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
NO WAY IN HELL!!! Stone Cold was just about drinking beer (no no in PG), flicking people off (no no in PG), cussing at his opponents (no no in PG), and all his catchphrases and T shirts had curse words on them. So, no it couldn't happen in the PG era.

· You're better than that Cole.
4,004 Posts
Oh yes the “Stone Cold” character can definitely work in the PG environment. For the people who saying he can’t must saying Stone Cold is a one dimensional character which is clearly false and haven’t watch the WWE in the years of 2001 and 2002 of his work. Those years proved that the “Stone Cold” character is definitely versable of Steve portraying a psychotic, whining and comedy character while still keeping under the limit’s of his persona. In late 2001 when Austin turned Face-he was definitely not the same man he was back in 97-00. His character in late 01-03 was definitely toned down to a more comedy role while still kicking everyone’s ass. The “What” gimmick was definitely over with the crowd and still is till this day. Austin would be just fine in the PG era, sure he won’t be the same badass back in the years of 97-00 but he will still be just fine as playing a toned down version of himself and be 30x more entertaining then the whole roster of today’s stale scripted product.

I heard the interview of Austin of him saying WWE pretty much tried to limit him of couldn’t say “this or that” when he came back for the special guest host thing but I don’t think Steve don’t understand how talented he really is and still worked around it perfectly in my opinion.

All Austin got to do is work off his “What” gimmick and he will easily be over with the kids along with the teenagers and adults. People around here seem to forget promos of Austin in 2002 like this.

Not a single word of profanity was used and the crowd was going insane.

A true Austin fan would know that Steve does not need to curse up a storm or raise middle fingers to get over. The man is talented and screams charisma then anyone on the roster.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.