Wrestling Forum banner

Could The Rock's Return Be Bad For RAW?

2656 27
Everyone agrees that last week's RAW was something special. Something that does not come around often in this business. It was one of those rare magical moments that even felt lessen if you didn't see it live.

In highsight, I wonder know if The Rock's return could be bad biz for RAW. After reading reports that The Rock most likely will not be back tonite, I have little excitement for tonight's RAW. It's practically guaranteed that 02-21-11 will be Taker's return. Other highlights? Snooze fest divas match, The Miz gloating over his victory, and of course, Michael Cole will be grinning like a cat that ate the canery. I can already hear his snide comments to The King for losing last night. I expect a gloating Alberto Del Rio to come out, and cut the exact same promo that he has for weeks. And does anyone care about Nexus anymore? Oh yea, they sucked last night too.

Last night's PPV came off extremely predictacle, and tonight will feel extremely anti-climatic.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
I'm not sure I agree you with you on one of your points, RAW tonight will be exciting I really enjoy it when undertaker returns, however I do agree with you on your thread title, The Rock coming back would have been better if he was on Raw leading up to wrestlemania, you've also forgotten that u r guarenteed to have a responce from cena/miz on the Rocks comments on Monday, dont write it off before it happens.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
I think tonight's Raw will be disappointing in the least. First off, it is coming off from a predictable PPV where none of the proposed matches for WM, to me, seem interesting. Secondly, everyone will be expecting Rock. While he might do a pre-taped thing, I don't think he will be there. Lastly, the 2-21-11 video will be a let down I think. I was onboard the Sting hype, but for some reason, I have the feeling that neither he nor HHH will show up, just Taker. I may just be a downer, but these are my expectations.

· Registered
724 Posts
The Rock does not have any affect on anyone's part in tonight's show aside from Cena and Miz - each would be inclined to make some sort of response to the Rock.

OP, I really don't see how Rock's return is bad business. If you have more of an argument I'd be willing to listen, but I don't see how Rock bringing back viewers and some old fans is bad for Raw. If anything, it provides a buzz and generates new and renewed interest in the WWE.

· Registered
868 Posts

· The Man
27,790 Posts
Predictable is bad now?
Im sure you can predict the responses to ur post. Woul dyou wanna watch or pay for a ppv when you know what is going to happen. I watched last nights ppv and during the Raw EC i was off and on because even with Cena on the ground half the match i knew he would win. I knew Edge was going to win as soon as Show was the 6th man so i enjoyed the action and yeah the Smackdown EC was better than Raws imo but in the end it just isnt really satisfying when the person i knew that was going to win won. Predictable is only great if you have money on something.

· Registered
8,589 Posts
He's both celebrity and a wrestler, then we have WM always being about celebirty and wrestling, so Rock is the best of both worlds.

RAW will start building towards Mania and everyone understands Rock is the host for it, not the host for Raw.

· Banned
4,461 Posts
First off....Miz should come out bragging because everyone doubted him and he carried that old man to a good match. Cole? Who gives a fuck about him. There is never anything wrong with Del Rio showing up and making the show better...he's one of the best things to hit the WWE in years. It's up till CM Punk to carry this Orton thing. Laycool will probably pop up because the Diva division revolves around them. Cena will make his stupid and pathetic crowd pandering promo and sound as obnoxious as ever.

No need for Rock to show up on a Undertaker return show..not to mention Cripple H is due back anyday.

· Registered
587 Posts
If by bad you mean showing up the roster for the charisma void it currently is, then I guess you could call it bad.

But for viewers, its all gold.

The current guys should take it as a challenge to raise their game , interesting to see if any do.

If I were to guess, my money would be on Shamus being first in line for a bit of guidance, he seems the sort who wants to improve, I hope it happens.

· Banned
1,858 Posts
Im sure you can predict the responses to ur post. Woul dyou wanna watch or pay for a ppv when you know what is going to happen. I watched last nights ppv and during the Raw EC i was off and on because even with Cena on the ground half the match i knew he would win. I knew Edge was going to win as soon as Show was the 6th man so i enjoyed the action and yeah the Smackdown EC was better than Raws imo but in the end it just isnt really satisfying when the person i knew that was going to win won. Predictable is only great if you have money on something.
You realise what Wrestling is right?

· Registered
3,509 Posts
your post doesnt make sense IMO, people dont know whether The Rock will be there or not, and most likely he will, even if he's not people are interested to see WM build up and also responses to his return, 2-21-11 might be predictable, but everyone will enjoy it so it will only increase the viewers TBH.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Rock does not have any affect on anyone's part in tonight's show aside from Cena and Miz - each would be inclined to make some sort of response to the Rock.

OP, I really don't see how Rock's return is bad business. If you have more of an argument I'd be willing to listen, but I don't see how Rock bringing back viewers and some old fans is bad for Raw. If anything, it provides a buzz and generates new and renewed interest in the WWE.
Let me clarify. It could be bad business because The Rock demonstrated just how lack luster the product is today compared to The Rock's day. So he pumped new excitement, and then to return to a predictable PG format = huge decompression of excitement. You don't want that going into Wrestlemania. The excitement needs to keep building. In fact, if Rock has no intention of showing up on RAW again till Mania, Vince should have put off the guest host annoucement a few weeks.

Course, I'm just speculating. John Cena wrote this on twitter:

"CeNation. Handled business last night. Tonight I will see what we do about the rock. If he wants some...come get some."

"This could be very interesting."

"Ps..grabbed a spare steel chain and lock off the elimination chamber just in case...gotta go now. Big peek a boo tournament b4 raw :)"

So we might be in for some surprised tonight!

· Registered
4 Posts
my first post on ere, but after what happened last week on raw in the rocks promo i thought id sign up & give my views.

ok the rock is without question my fav all time wrestler and couldnt believe it when he returned last week, his promo was amazin & probably the best thing ive seen in the wwe for years! HOWEVER i think wwe have really shot themselves in the foot because as great as the promo was it was also very very misleading! his comments about 'never going away again' & 'simply put the rock is back' aswell as the whole cena thing (which was quality!) ppl can be forgiven for actually thinking he is back fulltime in the wwe (although myself i didnt believe it) ....

BUT i know alot of ppl do, the next day at work 4 me after the raw episode last wk there was loads of ppl talkin about raw and tellin others the rock is back blah blah "hes back, cena gettin his candy*** wipped...." ..."its the end of the pg era"..."Rock will be fightin cena at wrestlemania....he will be champ within 6months etc etc"....were things ppl were tellin others - which as a result lead them to say stuff like "rocks back ill have to start watchin wwe again"....

if you look at the youtube video of the rocks return and read the comments underneath so many ppl believe he is back fulltime and his comments about never leaving are genuine....

like i said myself i was never convinced but kept quiet until after the elimination chamber just to see if there was any slight hope of rock vs cena at wrestlemania but obv with cena winning last night its never gonna happen & im now convinced its gonna end with rock hittin miz with a rock bottom and raising cenas hand & disapearing again! .... if thats the case wwe will LOSE so many fans (myself included)

anyone else think the rock promo as great as it was could actually turn out to be one of the worst moves over-time in wwe history? if he just came out and said 'im hostin wrestlemania' did a couple of jokes etc that wud of been better--but all this stuff about never leaving and totally destroying the top face of the company in a few mins and not having them fight is imo awful!

· Premium Member
1,064 Posts
First off....Miz should come out bragging because everyone doubted him and he carried that old man to a good match. Cole? Who gives a fuck about him. There is never anything wrong with Del Rio showing up and making the show better...he's one of the best things to hit the WWE in years. It's up till CM Punk to carry this Orton thing. Laycool will probably pop up because the Diva division revolves around them. Cena will make his stupid and pathetic crowd pandering promo and sound as obnoxious as ever.

No need for Rock to show up on a Undertaker return show..not to mention Cripple H is due back anyday.
maybe he carried the match but further proof, kayfabe wise, that miz cant even beat jerry lawler without the help of distractions by cole and riley getting involved.

· Registered
724 Posts
Let me clarify. It could be bad business because The Rock demonstrated just how lack luster the product is today compared to The Rock's day. So he pumped new excitement, and then to return to a predictable PG format = huge decompression of excitement. You don't want that going into Wrestlemania. The excitement needs to keep building. In fact, if Rock has no intention of showing up on RAW again till Mania, Vince should have put off the guest host annoucement a few weeks.

Course, I'm just speculating. John Cena wrote this on twitter:

"CeNation. Handled business last night. Tonight I will see what we do about the rock. If he wants some...come get some."

"This could be very interesting."

"Ps..grabbed a spare steel chain and lock off the elimination chamber just in case...gotta go now. Big peek a boo tournament b4 raw :)"

So we might be in for some surprised tonight!
Ok, I see what you're saying. For business, I definitely think Rock does more good than bad. Mania is going to sell more simply because some old fans will buy to see Rock inbetween matches, promos and for some special moment of Rock getting involved with someone in the ring. (notice I didn't say wrestling - just getting in the ring to do a people's elbow or w.e)

I also think Rock's return could help to give the current roster a drive to be the next Rock. However, while the current roster needs to make it happen the management, creative etc need to allow it to happen. Rock can push the envelope this week, next week and next month and give everyone some wiggle room to be bigger, more brash and greater.

I see this as an opportunity for the WWE to not return to the Rock's Attitude Era, but as an opportunity to segue into a new era - somewhere between Attitude and conservative PG.

In the short run Rock makes the product better. He regenerates interest in the WWE. In the long run there are one of two scenarios: 1. The organization strives to better. 2. The organization reverts back to form.

· Registered
188 Posts
If you dont get goosebumps everytime Undertaker returns with his epic entrance, then you arnt a true wrestling fan. Also I bet Cena and Miz and Rock will have some kind of interaction, and when u put 3 of your best mic skills people battling it out, its hard for it to fail.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.