Wrestling Forum banner

Could The New World Order work today

4635 Views 47 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  StingerSplash91
I am watching a lot of WCW from in between 1996 and 1998 at the moment and it is great to watch what for me was the hottest period in wrestling history but it then got me questioning whether The New World Order could work in wrestling today. We currently have stables in WWE in The Core and The Nexus and before that we saw The Straight Edge Society which was very over for a while plus D-Generation X were also around again recently so we know that stables can still have a place.

Obviously though The New World Order were a completely different type of stable and were very groundbreaking and innovative in a lot of the things they did and right now in WWE they seem to play it very safe with their booking. I know that the last time we saw The New World Order in WWE it didn't work as Hulk Hogan was quickly turned face and then Kevin Nash was injured just as it seemed something with Triple H would be about to start but that has no bearing on whether it could work now.

The hardest part would be how to start The New World Order in the first place i guess unless it went through Kevin Nash seeing how he was an original member of the group but then it would still need a big name to make the group work. I guess the best option would be to have John Cena try and recreate what Hulk Hogan did with his heel turn to make it work seeing as John Cena is the biggest star in the industry and a heel turn for him would be a HUGE deal, so could The New World Order really work in wrestling today.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· WWE Analyzer
176 Posts

· Banned
2,174 Posts
it didnt work post 1998 why the heck would it work nowadays?

· Registered
141 Posts
A Cena heel turn, followed up with Cena leading a heel stable would be a big deal as far as WWE goes, but I sincerely doubt it would have a fraction of the impact of Hogan turning heel with Hall and Nash.

As far as rehashing the nWo with the original members, I sincerely doubt that would work now. The potential was there in 2002, but like the WcW invasion, the nWo "Cancer/Poison" angle was incredibly botched and ultimately watered down to the point where it became irrelevant even before Nash's quad injury.

nWo was simply outstanding in 1996, and it indeed warranted a long run, but these are different times.

· Resident Old Man
3,695 Posts
nope. original nexus is pretty much a pg version.
Nexus actually worked, and if it would have had some bigger stars, it would have worked better. However, when you have one guy (Cena) destroy a whole group, it kind of loses its punch.

I'm not a Cena hater, but that was a little too much.

Could NWO work today, no, because the WWE is PG, simple as that. If it were not PG, then I think it would have a better chance, because you could bring in more "real life" aspects with more vicious beat downs, a little blood, some language, etc.

· Registered
2,690 Posts
Nexus actually worked, and if it would have had some bigger stars, it would have worked better. However, when you have one guy (Cena) destroy a whole group, it kind of loses its punch.

I'm not a Cena hater, but that was a little too much.

Could NWO work today, no, because the WWE is PG, simple as that. If it were not PG, then I think it would have a better chance, because you could bring in more "real life" aspects with more vicious beat downs, a little blood, some language, etc.
And I quote myself:

You do know WCW was PG during the NWO invasion angle right?

· Registered
608 Posts
No it would not work today with the same impact, it was done before therefore everyone would call it "rip off" or "reunion". We know what happens with reunions, just look at DX.

· Natasha Yi. WHAT A BABE.
9,001 Posts
If it hadn't been attempted so many times, (if this was the first time it was revisited) it probably could work, but the whole thing is so boring and overplayed these days probably no.

· Registered
2,476 Posts
another reason why it wouldn't work is there simply aren't enough stars on the current wwe roster that they could feud with.

· Asuka
123,116 Posts
If it had never been done before, and if it was booked the right way, I don't see why it couldn't. If it was a revolutionary idea, I see nothing stopping it, but if we're basing it on the original nWo already having happened, then no, it would do nothing.

· Registered
4,666 Posts
WWE's Nexus was an invasion storyline and it sucked. So, no way. Plus WWE did actually have the N.W.O. at one point and that bombed too and that was with a better writing team.

· Registered
638 Posts
The NWO should be left to the annals of wrestling history. When it started in WCW it was revolutionary, but even a short time later it had clearly run it's course. I'm talking about them in WCW, let alone the WWE reincarnation. One of the reasons it worked was because it was a pretty fresh idea. That's what we need now-a-days, fresh ideas for factions/groups not rehashing old ones.

· Registered
6,512 Posts
A big part of the nWo's appeal was the fact that two WWF wrestlers shown up on WCW TV, unannounced and treated as literal outsiders.

Obviously, now this wouldn't have the same shockwaves. There's no major competition- even if everyone who watches Impact watches Raw too, it's two thirds of the audience who wouldn't know what was happening if say, AJ Style and Samoa Joe turned up. Add in the internet, rumour websites and broken kayfabe, and we'd all know what was happening within 10 minutes of them showing up, if not the day before.

Another major component of the nWo was THE heel turn. Fans are smarter these days, and the reaction wouldn't be anywhere near as visceral, even if there was a major babyface to play that role. As much as I praise Cena, his reactions are very mixed. Should he have such a heel turn, particularly in a 'smark' city (NY, Philly, Toronto etc) he could easily get the same mixed reaction, but with the adult males cheering him. The sheer vitriol aimed at Hogan really helped to make the nWo angle.

That's not to mention the obvious, stables are way too played out in both major companies right now. The nWo now would have nothing to separate them in peoples minds from Evolution, from Nexus, from Immortal, from Fortune, from Legacy. I have no doubt they could get over, but working anywhere near as well as they did in WCW originally? Not a chance, the business has changed too much IMO.

· The One Who Knocks
5,640 Posts
I love how people who weren't around at the time assume the nWo was some R-rated entity. WCW during that time period was TV-Y7 compared to the current WWE product. I dare you to scroll through years of Nitros and find one instance where someone even said "hell." But, in spite of that, it was magical television and hard proof that all this PG-whining is pointless. WWE doesn't suck because it's PG, it sucks because the wrestlers and the storylines suck.

Anyway, as has been said, Nexus was basically 2010's answer to the nWo. I thought it was a success for the most part, though it could have been absolutely epic if the booking hadn't been so, so horrendous.

As for rehashing the original nWo in 2011? Good Lord no. That didn't work a decade ago. It'd be painful to watch now. Oh wait, it is, just tune in to Spike on Thursdays.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.