Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously he passed too early but up to that point he was hugely successful, broke away from 'Bret's brother' which would of been hard because of how big Bret was etc.
Dying at 34, so was approaching his prime, and get rid of the shitty Blu Blazer gimmick and gave him one that worked, could of had so many good matches with Benoit, Angle, Eddie, Malenko, Y2J etc yada yada yada.... so basically if used right, and looking what he already accomplished adding on to his fantastic charisma, in ring skill and so on, could he easily of been one oif the best ever and in HBK's, Bret's, Taker's little group/category.

·
Thank You Randy Savage.
3,775 Posts
I don't think so. I think in Vince's eyes he always saw him as a mid carder. He is one of the greatest ring workers ever but to be considered GOAT generally it's people who won the big one. I don't think Owen would have won the WWF title if he had lived.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Who knows...

He excelled at everything, he just was not pushed right. Maybe with a right gimmick, like "The Game", he could have been that huge star you talk about.

But don't forget Rock, HHH and specially Austin were there too at that time, and as you said, some guys like Angle, Eddie, Benoit and Jericho would have come too, so maybe he wouldn't have been pushed as much as he deserved due to those guys being there too, and some of them being bigger draws than he was.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think so. I think in Vince's eyes he always saw him as a mid carder. He is one of the greatest ring workers ever but to be considered GOAT generally it's people who won the big one. I don't think Owen would have won the WWF title if he had lived.
True but look at Piper, I reckon Owen somehow could of been similar to HBK (not the sexy boy gimmick something else), similar size, stature, charisma, the looks, appealing to the fans etc... hard to think though as he was almost pushed to the side alot, only really the fued w/ Bret he stood out despite how good he was, past that he was either in tag teams or stables with bigger stars, Hart Foundation, Nation and so on, I think he could of gotten big after Austin and Rock left, he was younger than Austin, and could of still being great pushing 40.

·
Registered
147 Posts
While he was a great wrestler, I think that at most he would've gotten to the heights that Jericho has, Jobber To The Stars.

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
In terms of in-ring ability he is one of the best ever in my opinion. He's got it all, a decent look, technical skill, can work a crowd etc.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Not even slightly. I think his death has made people exaggerate how great he was. In the ring, he was a masterpiece. Nobody more crisp or natural, but his mic work, character, even look, all very pretty average.

Now Eddie, that's a guy who's easily a contender for greatest ever. Pure talent.

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts
I think the fact that you even need to ask, gives you your answer right there. He was great no doubt about that, but I don't think he ever would have broken through to the main event. He might have gotten a thank you reign towards the end of his career, but nothing more.

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
No doubt Owen was great, but if they didn't give him the WWF title in 1994 instead of giving it to Backlund(not sure why he had the belt), they were never gonna give it to him. As everyone says he is a great worker, but he didn't have that it factor that you need, he was always gonna be Bret's little brother

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't think he would of been one of the GOATS but I think if he stuck around he would of stuck around for a long time being known as one of the top veteran guys and maybe would of had a title run but then probably would be used to help the up and coming guys at the time like Angle and Benoit

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I always thought Owen was even with Bret's wrestling skills, so I say yes.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What?? He was an ugly Canadian that sounded funny. He was the Blue Blazer. Enough is enough, and it's time for a change. We remember him because of his tragic death, not because of how great he was.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
He was one of the greatest of all time, that is in the Ring. Just a awesome Wrestler. Really a Fan of his Matches, i reccomend his Match in Japan against Chris Benoit. Also:

WM5 Blue Blazer vs Mr. Perfect 7.5/10
WM10 Owen vs Bret Hart 8.5/10
SummerSlam 1994 Bret Hart Vs Owen Hart 8.5/10
RR 94 Quebecers Vs Hart Brothers 7.5/10
KOTR 94 Razor Ramon Vs Owen 7.5/10
RAW 15.8.94 Owen Hart Vs 123 Kid 7.5/10
RAW 11.7.94 Bret & Bulldog Vs Owen & Neidhart 7.5/10
Series 95 Team HBK Vs Team Owen 8.0/10
RAW 9.1.95 Owen Hart Vs Razor Ramon 7.5/10
IYH Race the Cage 1996 Owen Vs HBK 8.0/10
RAW 3.3.97 Owen Hart Vs British Bulldog 8.0/10
SummerSlam 97 Owen Hart vs. Steve Austin 8.0/10
RAW 21.1.97 Fumas Brothers Vs Owen & Davey 7.5/10
One Night Only 97 Vader vs. Owen Hart 7.5/10
IYH Fully Loaded 98 Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart 8.0/10
SummerSlam 98 Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart 8.0/10

Those are in my Opinion his greatest WWE Matches. Owen was great in the Ring, he was plenty charismathic and he could talk well. But he just always stood in the shadow of Bret, and after he left, People held him down. I think he could have been a good Champion. The greatest of all time? No way. And they really jobbed him out and by 99 he was a Jobber to the Main Eventers, his momentum was gone, if there was a time to make him Champion it was 94-96.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No one cared about Owen until he died. Even though he was still young I always looked at him as an old guy whose best times were in 1994. Other then being in the Hart foundation I could really care less about his career and he is just another wrestler to me. Not necessarily his fault but that way he was pushed I guess.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
answer is Hell No! Owen will never be on Great Of All Time and i agree Owen made to be great and everyone cared for him until he die.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
He was one of the greatest of all time, that is in the Ring. Just a awesome Wrestler. Really a Fan of his Matches, i reccomend his Match in Japan against Chris Benoit. Also:

WM5 Blue Blazer vs Mr. Perfect 7.5/10
WM10 Owen vs Bret Hart 8.5/10
SummerSlam 1994 Bret Hart Vs Owen Hart 8.5/10
RR 94 Quebecers Vs Hart Brothers 7.5/10
KOTR 94 Razor Ramon Vs Owen 7.5/10
RAW 15.8.94 Owen Hart Vs 123 Kid 7.5/10
RAW 11.7.94 Bret & Bulldog Vs Owen & Neidhart 7.5/10
Series 95 Team HBK Vs Team Owen 8.0/10
RAW 9.1.95 Owen Hart Vs Razor Ramon 7.5/10
IYH Race the Cage 1996 Owen Vs HBK 8.0/10
RAW 3.3.97 Owen Hart Vs British Bulldog 8.0/10
SummerSlam 97 Owen Hart vs. Steve Austin 8.0/10
RAW 21.1.97 Fumas Brothers Vs Owen & Davey 7.5/10
One Night Only 97 Vader vs. Owen Hart 7.5/10
IYH Fully Loaded 98 Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart 8.0/10
SummerSlam 98 Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart 8.0/10

Those are in my Opinion his greatest WWE Matches. Owen was great in the Ring, he was plenty charismathic and he could talk well. But he just always stood in the shadow of Bret, and after he left, People held him down. I think he could have been a good Champion. The greatest of all time? No way. And they really jobbed him out and by 99 he was a Jobber to the Main Eventers, his momentum was gone, if there was a time to make him Champion it was 94-96.
THANKS for this list of matches I can watch now. I love OWEN.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I really don't know to be completely honest if Owen would of made it past the mid-card division. He was a solid talent, but his popularity wasn't as high as Bret's was. Best of all-time is really hard to tell now a days. Many of the fans really push Owen's name harder than the past because of his death. Do think his greatest year was 1994 and had the highest chance of being WWE Champion. WWE marking him as the greatest of all-time is probably is their minds. But will it probably happen to go real far? Maybe. Maybe not. He was in the greatest stars of the 90s DVD.

·
Registered
213 Posts
1. I was an Owen Hart fan from when I first started watching wrestling, in the mid 90's so spare me the "noone cared until he died" BS. To this day I get sick of the fact that every mention of him has to be associated with his tragic death. He had a great life, albeit one cut short.

2. No I don't think he would've gotten the world title. From 99 and after the WWE wanted talkers and ass-kissers, not wrestlers. In addition to this he was a family man, and was not as passionate about wrestling as Bret or Shawn.

3. He still has to be a candidate for the GOAT of all time, even if they never pushed the title on him ("You think I give a damn about a stupid piece of leather with tin on it?!"). There are people that were better technical wrestlers, better high-flyers, better on the mic...sure. But as an all-round package, it's hard to beat Owen Hart.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What?? He was an ugly Canadian that sounded funny. He was the Blue Blazer. Enough is enough, and it's time for a change. We remember him because of his tragic death, not because of how great he was.
Are you *still* upset that Triple H never got over him clean? :p

You sound like you started watching when the attitude trash started. Anyone who watched before that remembers him for being one of the greatest wrestlers of all time...and "enough is enough" got an insane amount of heat, despite how badly he was relegated.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Lol not upset; the premise of this thread is ridiculous, to ask if he would be the "best of all time." It's Owen Hart, not somebody who was great. Because he died tragically, people who say anything positive about him are using great hyperbole. Without the death, you may as well make a thread like, "Could Bob Holly of [sic] been easily [sic] on [sic] of the best of all time?"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts