Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· The One Who Knocks
5,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe so. Not to be too big of a downer, but in reading comments on here - specifically in the "match of the night" thread - I think people are drastically underestimating the potential suck factor that this match has.

Consider the facts: Undertaker has not wrestled in about six months. Triple H, save for a couple dark matches, hasn't wrestled in nearly a year. Taker is legitimately ancient at this point and practically duct taped together. HHH, while still in amazing shape, is no spring chicken himself.

You've got two aging, injury-prone guys with serious ring rust and potentially critical endurance issues. And this match - especially if it goes on last - has to go at least 30 minutes.

I'm sure the grandeur that precedes it and the psychology that occurs during it will be spectacular, but as far as the match itself goes, it could be pretty ugly pretty quickly if someone pops a tendon. I hope I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
I think you are totally right. On the other hand, I think it has the potential to be awesome simply because of who is in the ring. My tactic is to go in with no expectations, and the feud hasn't given me any tbh, so therefore whatever happens I won't be disappointed. I really hope I don't end up disappointed but all things considered there is a serious chance of it happening. The DQ stip gives me hope that they are just going to batter the hell out of each other lol. That would be cool at least!

· Mamba Mentality
25,255 Posts
The no holds barred stipulation, some strong selling and them playing up the crowd with big kick-outs will help the match out a lot. If they add blood it would really put this hopefully 'epic match' over-the-top. Taker/HHH likely won't reach Taker/HBK levels but I don't feel they will disappoint. It will be a good brawl with some solid spots I expect but what's really going to make it special is how they tell their story and how well they sell the brutality of no holds barred in the mist of the grandiose atmosphere of WrestleMania.

· Dragon Slayer
6,638 Posts
No chance. These are 2 icons working hard every day to get into great shape for their returns. I'm sure they are taking bumps, lifting weights, doing some cardio, and running practice matches to get back into ring shape for their returns. They can have a great brawl match at Mania along with a few high spots and this will no doubt be a MOTN contender. It won't be a masterpiece like Taker/HBK WM 25, but on an otherwise weak card this should stand out. If there are 2 guys I trust to put on a great performance at Mania its these 2.

· Registered
661 Posts
These two guys are payed to endure, I'm sure they'll hold together for one match, considering the fact that they've been benched for so long.

I'd turn this into a Win Only by Submission Match. That way one of them will HAVE to tap out. It would be exciting to see.

· Mamba Mentality
25,255 Posts
I'd turn this into a Win Only by Submission Match. That way one of them will HAVE to tap out. It would be exciting to see.
I like where you're going with this idea here. I actually want the finish to be Undertaker winning with The Hell's Gate either by tap out or pass out. The pass out would work well with Trips' line about "die trying" to end The Streak.

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
My biggest concern for the match is that the crowd is going to be dead for it, especially if it closes the show...which apparently as of right now it is slated to do. If Miz and Cena goes on right before it, and everything goes down with Rock/Cena, the crowd is going to be spent. Watching two of the oldest active guys, with a lot of ring rust on them, having to follow up Rock and Cena throwing blows will not be easy.

Judging by the was the crowd has been reacting to their promos and the general overness of the angle with the crowd, the match could turn into one of those matches that "shouldn't have closed the show". I hope I am wrong, but we could end up seeing what happened with Triple H/Jericho going on after Hogan/Rock or with Triple H/Orton going after HBK/Taker, all over again. Interesting how all of them involve Triple H...

· Premium Member
46,378 Posts
If it weren't No Holds Barred, I'd agree with you. But with that stipulation, it allows them to basically do whatever they want & overbook the holy hell out of it if need be to make it as exciting as possible. I even expect Shawn Michaels to play a role in it, so we'll see. I also think they'll be allowed to use blood. If anybody has the stroke to overrule the "No Blood Allowed" ruling, its them.

I don't think it'll be the greatest match of all time though.

· Banned
24,172 Posts
If it weren't No Holds Barred, I'd agree with you. But with that stipulation, it allows them to basically do whatever they want & overbook the holy hell out of it if need be to make it as exciting as possible. I even expect Shawn Michaels to play a role in it, so we'll see. I also think they'll be allowed to use blood. If anybody has the stroke to overrule the "No Blood Allowed" ruling, its them.

I don't think it'll be the greatest match of all time though.
my point exactly

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I think these two will pull out a good performance, considering who they are they are fully capable of doing so even if they haven't wrestled in a long time. I am not expecting it to be MOTY or even MOTN, but with it being no holds barred, I expect it to be an exciting match.

· Premium Member
24,105 Posts
The match will be fine. Especially compared to most of the garbage we get on WWE TV these days from the green FCW clones. Sure there is a slight chance it could bomb, but I seriously doubt it. We are gonna get a nice old school no holds barred battle.

· Registered
7,244 Posts
if taker is half as good as he was at 25 + 26 it will be good

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,895 Posts
If it bombs, and I will freely admit that there's a slight but very real possibility that it potentially actually could, it most likely won't be because of the condition of either man but because something's amiss. I'm glad you asked this question, Cynic, because I just had this thought recently as well. I don't think it will bomb, and I concur with NoLeafClover that this match should go on somewhere around the middle or a little later in the show, but not at the very end because the spectacle of Rock/Cena/Miz is going to be extremely difficult to follow up with at this Wrestlemania. To be honest, after 2010, Cena and Miz deserve to headline, i.e., close out the show, more than anyone else, as the year was the twin stories of Cena becoming a refocused and rejuvenated character with his Batista feud and Nexus angle and The Miz's rise to the top. By contrast, Triple H was gone the for two thirds of the year and Undertaker's contributions weren't all that much greater.

I hope they don't overdo the "No Holds Barred" element of the match, though, otherwise it could run the risk of feeling too much like a repeat of their X7 encounter.

Ultimately, though, this should be a fine match indeed.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
I think it boils down to card placement. Fans will wake up for an UT match I don't see any other match on the card having Hogan/Rock or UT/HBK fan investment so the crowd probably won't be burned out if they go on last but if they go on before Cena/Miz it may cripple their match.
I am expecting some brutal spots and weapons usage maybe some blood but it won't be technical at all. Could it flop? Yes, if either guy comes out and blows up early (like UT did at WM 17) it could drag a bit or if either guy comes out in less than great shape or is plagued by another injury but it should be exciting.
I'm guessing this is the last hurrah for both these guys I expect them to leave it all in the ring even if it bombs.

· Dragon Slayer
6,638 Posts
My biggest concern for the match is that the crowd is going to be dead for it, especially if it closes the show...which apparently as of right now it is slated to do. If Miz and Cena goes on right before it, and everything goes down with Rock/Cena, the crowd is going to be spent. Watching two of the oldest active guys, with a lot of ring rust on them, having to follow up Rock and Cena throwing blows will not be easy.

Judging by the was the crowd has been reacting to their promos and the general overness of the angle with the crowd, the match could turn into one of those matches that "shouldn't have closed the show". I hope I am wrong, but we could end up seeing what happened with Triple H/Jericho going on after Hogan/Rock or with Triple H/Orton going after HBK/Taker, all over again. Interesting how all of them involve Triple H...

My guess is that Miz and Cena will close the show. The good thing is though, that if its planned NOT to, that might be a sign Miz is going over :)D) Either way, there will be a cool down match between the 2 matches. It will go like this:

Miz v Cena
Rock comes out, cuts promo, interacts with Miz and Cena
few minutes of nothing as commentators talk
review of the night so far
something for the live crowd

The laycool match

Trips/Taker

Show close

On a side note: The crowd gave a huge pop for the initial stand off silent promo. The following segments were quiet because the crowd was waiting for something to happen. I believe we've had 3 promos cut now plus 3 HBK videos. But nothing at all has happened to build the actual match. Just single man talking. They really need to build this up QUICK if they want it to be a main event.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.