Wrestling Forum banner

Could Big E. Langston take Rybacks spot?

2K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  THA_WRESTER 
#1 ·
First of all let's take this back to an original root.

Ultimate Warrior

Bill Goldberg

Brock Lesnar

Dave Batista​

Love them, Hate them, I don't care and it's not the point of debate. But these big men are solidified as that big built guy. Regardless of the wrestling abilities.

In today's age of wrestling we have a colorful PG WWE and a struggling number 2 TNA.

It's of my opinion ever since Batista, no one has taken that spot of the next big guy.

With WWE they have had a few pop in, I can't even remember their names but they have kept a few big guys and tried them out but all fell to the side until Ryback and Langston.

With TNA (and I include them here as two guys have relevance to some points I make with Ryback/Langston)
TNA have also attempted their own big guy with a few, we have Rob Terry, Hernandez and Gunner.

So let's assess Ryback.

Ok great look, never mind the Goldberg 2.0 look, he actually has a great look and every potential with even silly things like his clothing and his in ring gear.

His Shell Shock move is the poorest thing I have ever seen for a big man! That is a very important factor in this next big man spot that remains vacant.
  • Goldberg's Spear and Jackhammer was and is a solid powerful finish.
  • Brock Lesnar with his F5 was ORIGINAL and powerful
  • Batista had the respectable power bomb aka the Batista Bomb!
Compare those to the Shell Shock... I mean this is only an article, which means this is just my opinion.. But in my eyes, Ryback's move is POOR.
And as for the rest of his in ring work, he wrestles back and forth. big guys are meant to be powerful, where it's a shock to have control of him.
Don't misconstrue this for comparing. but he almost reminds me of Rob Terry.. great look but just for some reason doesn't have that power! I mean look at Brock for example, everything in ring leaves the crowd going OHHH!! on his every move.. Ryback doesn't do this at all.

So let's assess Big E. Langston.
He actually has a different set of mic skills than most of the past big men, he has announcer material talking on the mic. not that heavy breathing fake angry voice.. even better than Batista easy going mic talk.
When I watch Big E Langston wrestle I always think it puts Ryback to shame. EVERY TIME. this isn't me being a bigger fan of them, I actually wish Ryback could wrestle like it. But Every move Langston pops out he has that crowd OHHH! effect. He in a way reminds me of Hernandez in TNA, fast paced power moves yet left mid card.
With his face turn, that didn't leave a quiet 'no one cares' effect. people noticed. people cheered. I freaking marked out.

If I could get out of my head what I'm trying to say and put into this article then let me give it a shot.

TNA's Rob Terry and Hernandez... A few months ago, they tried pushing Rob Terry for some once a week squash matches, gave him a new entrance, nickname, and a nice finishing move (Important remember!)
He was slow, rusty and disappointing because people wanted him to have that spot.. and the nail in the coffin for me, is seeing Hernandez wrestle later every time with speed, agility and leaving the crowd buzzing.. (Quick side note, shame Hernandez is 40 now, they had a real shot with him being THAT GUY)

Now my point to that TNA lesson there is it's 'almost' exactly how I feel about Ryback and Langston... I'll watch Ryback, and although much faster than Rob Terry, it was every time I watched him and then Langston later, I'd feel the same. I wanted Ryback to have Langston's power and speed.

to sum this up. it does remain the 'big man' spot remains open. Brock is a part timer so he doesn't count.
Ryback clearly has been chosen for the push.

But in early days of Langston and his reaction on Smackdown.. Could he sneak up behind Ryback and be given his spot?

No need for any Goldberg haters to write, I was only using him as he has a solidified spot in the big man after his 90's accomplishments.
And this is only my opinion, so welcome all opinions so no need for whitty replies. just generally a topic of the next big man and Ryback vs Langston via career, not a wrestling match with each other.

See less See more
#4 ·
yes and he will fucking excel at it too.

#6 ·
Absolutely, Big E Langston is so much more better than Ryback in every way imaginable. Langston has potential to easily take Ryback position if WWE book him correctly, Ryback is straight garbage and the huge advantage he has over Langston is that he is not black.

#8 ·
Big E is a black guy and we all know how talented you have to be to make it in Vince's company if you're black. Ryback will have a better career than Big E, could Big E take Ryback's spot? Sure, it's not like Ryback is the one and only, he's just a big guy.

#17 ·
Could you please explain what makes the Shell Shock a bad finisher when you say that the Jack Hammer is a good one? I'm really not seeing a difference between the two moves.

You really didn't explain exactly how Langston is better than Ryback. I know that's the point but honestly it just seems like you wrote all of this to say "Langston is better because he's better."

I'm also unclear about why you don't like Ryback other than he isn't in control for a large majority of the match. I don't really think that's a reflection on how good he is and he's only had a few lengthy matches as a heel. You could also use the same criticism that you made against him for someone like Batista. Batista was a face for most of his main event run. So yeah he spent a lot of time not in control because he was a face and faces usually have a big comeback in their matches.

#18 ·
Batista is actually a good point!
I was actually going to use him for an example.

I actually like Ryback. I wish the crowd wouldn't chant Goldberg as its simple minded.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with saying I haven't brought up any points. I used the whole Rob Terry compared to Hernandez point to show what I meant.. But to re explain it? Big E langston in the ring is faster, quicker, stronger and more imoactful. There's something Brock and Goldberg has that Big E has too. Every move looks powerful.

I don't feel that with Ryback at all... And as for his move, ok if you think the Jack Hammer looks at the same effect than I respect that. I disagree and think it looks much more impactful but that's a case of our opinions clashing and not factual.

But I stand strong on his Shell shock.. Big E's finished is much more impactful. I've always been a fan of the big dog guy. Goldberg, Brock, I'm not really a critic I just love those guys who play the strong dominant one. They do well for new guys getting over as well so its good when they're defeated. Both ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.