Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going back in time to the Monday night wars WWE was motivated to compete with WCW and then created more edgier content. I cant say that AEW is comparable to WCW but they are competing with NXT. Vince said himself that WWE doesnt need edgier content. But if AEW grows and becomes fiercely competitive with WWE, will it change the WWE for the better?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good question. I used to think that AEW would force the WWE to step up its game, but honestly now I’m not so sure anymore. The WWE product has been getting worse (in my view), but it can all be attributed to poor decisions from the top. I hate to say this because I respect what Vince McMahon has done in the wrestling business, but I have a feeling the company will be stuck creatively until he retires and hands the reins to Triple-H.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont doubt that WCW made WWE a better company. That is what sparked the attitude era and what made WWE turn away from PG friendly content. if AEW grows and becomes a threat I think thats when the company might go back to edgier content and perhaps better content.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Good question. I used to think that AEW would force the WWE to step up its game, but honestly now I’m not so sure anymore. The WWE product has been getting worse (in my view), but it can all be attributed to poor decisions from the top. I hate to say this because I respect what Vince McMahon has done in the wrestling business, but I have a feeling the company will be stuck creatively until he retires and hands the reins to Triple-H.
Uh no HHH will NEVER GET THE REIGNS of WWE. Shane Mcmahon will take over WWE after Vince NOT HHH. So idiot smarks can get this dumb, delusional nonsense of HHH one day taking over out of here, because its never going to happen nor should because if HHH took over he'd tank WWE. HHH would tank WWE because he'd push talent that appeals to the IWC (smarks) like Richochet and WWE's viewership would go in the toilet QUICK with him in charge and pushing these people.

·
Banned
374 Posts
No. And theres no if AEW grows to become competition, because they're not going to grow and they definitely won't be competition to WWE Either so you smarks can get this delusion out of your heads right now.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I dont doubt that WCW made WWE a better company. That is what sparked the attitude era and what made WWE turn away from PG friendly content. if AEW grows and becomes a threat I think thats when the company might go back to edgier content and perhaps better content.
You seem to suggest "edgy" is better.

Katie Vick, HLA, Al Wilson, employees kissing Vince's ass on live TV, mark henry and Mae young love story, beaver cleavage and his mother, Terri losing her baby all did their best to push the envelope and all sucked.

The most successful angle WWE produced during AE ie Austin vs Vince for most part was entertainment for whole family, ditto Savage vs Hogan, Andre vs Hogan.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. And theres no if AEW grows to become competition, because they're not going to grow and they definitely won't be competition to WWE Either so you smarks can get this delusion out of your heads right now.
Whose to say that they won't though? WCW in its early stages had alot of work to do to gain relevance and then they eventually grew to be the more dominant company. That was a completely different period where they took alot of WWEs biggest stars and gained leverage, I know. A fair bit of former under and midcard talent are leaving WWE for AEW. But regardless if a bunch of upper card talent from WWE left to join AEW, it may be as much of a threat as TNA was.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Uh no HHH will NEVER GET THE REIGNS of WWE. Shane Mcmahon will take over WWE after Vince NOT HHH. So idiot smarks can get this dumb, delusional nonsense of HHH one day taking over out of here, because its never going to happen nor should because if HHH took over he'd tank WWE. HHH would tank WWE because he'd push talent that appeals to the IWC (smarks) like Richochet and WWE's viewership would go in the toilet QUICK with him in charge and pushing these people.
HHH will never takeover because he is not a McMahon but neither will Shane because dude is clueless.

Stephanie will take over after Vince.

Your comment makes no sense. HHH didn't push Ricochet as top guy in NXT (where his main competition was Gargano, Ciampa and Black). He was upper mid so zero chance HHH would push Ricochet above Rollins, Reigns, Brock, Orton on a far more stacked main roster etc.

HHH after all is the guy that handpicked Reigns to be in Shield and his megapush. Wrestlemania 31 HHH convinced Vince to go with Reigns because Vince wanted Rock Rumors Of Vince McMahon & Triple H Being At Odds Over WWE Creative & WrestleMania 31 | PWMania

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You seem to suggest "edgy" is better.

Katie Vick, HLA, Al Wilson, employees kissing Vince's ass on live TV, mark henry and Mae young love story, beaver cleavage and his mother, Terri losing her baby all did their best to push the envelope and all sucked.

The most successful angle WWE produced during AE ie Austin vs Vince for most part was entertainment for whole family, ditto Savage vs Hogan, Andre vs Hogan.
Not necessarily. I'm only noting that AEW seems like an edgier company than WWE is in terms of attitude, curse words etc. I'm just speaking hypothetically if AEW were to garner just as much or more attention than WWE, would they make the shift from making PG friendly stuff to more adult oriented stuff? In my opinion ofcourse WWE was consistently great when they felt threatened by WCW. Some not all of the edginess is what made the attitude era great. I do believe that AEW is maybe influencing NXTs product because they both have shows on the same night. Other WWE brands... not so sure.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whose to say that they won't though? WCW in its early stages had alot of work to do to gain relevance and then they eventually grew to be the more dominant company. That was a completely different period where they took alot of WWEs biggest stars and gained leverage, I know. A fair bit of former under and midcard talent are leaving WWE for AEW. But regardless if a bunch of upper card talent from WWE left to join AEW, it may be as much of a threat as TNA was.
Your
wrong
WCW did not need long to compete
TNA Not threat

·
Banned
374 Posts

The facts says that they won't because they're appealling to the lowest common denominator (dumb smarks) which will hurt the company in the long run. WCW worked because it appealled to casuals with a good product, which AEW doesn't appeal to casuals they only appeal to smarks. And plus Nirto beat Raw on its fourth episode it didn't take a long time for Nitro to compete with Raw because Nitro was better and casuals gravitated towards it. Those talents aren't game changers like John Cena, Randy Orton, and Brock Lesnar are so they're just getting WWE's left overs. If they got anyone of those 3 talents that I just named then yeah MIGHT be competition but it'll never happen because they don't have the money to pay those guys.They'll never become competition so just enjoy AEW.

TNA got as big as it did because they built their own stars, I don't see AEW doing that I just see ex WWE guys hogging the spotlight in the main feuds and in the main event.

·
Banned
374 Posts
HHH will never takeover because he is not a McMahon but neither will Shane because dude is clueless.

Stephanie will take over after Vince.

Your comment makes no sense. HHH didn't push Ricochet as top guy in NXT (where his main competition was Gargano, Ciampa and Black). He was upper mid so zero chance HHH would push Ricochet above Rollins, Reigns, Brock, Orton on a far more stacked main roster etc.

HHH after all is the guy that handpicked Reigns to be in Shield and his megapush. Wrestlemania 31 HHH convinced Vince to go with Reigns because Vince wanted Rock Rumors Of Vince McMahon & Triple H Being At Odds Over WWE Creative & WrestleMania 31 | PWMania
😂 Shane will take over after Vince these are facts. Shane knows more about business than HHH, HHH doesn't know how to run a business so if anyone's clueless its HHH. And thanks for proving my point for that HHH will never take over because hes not a Mcmahon.

I said he would if he was running WWE which he would push Ricochet if the was running the company. So saying he didn't push him in NXT is irrelevent because NXT is just their developmental to build guys up and train them before they go to Raw or Smackdown.

Okay he made 1 smart decision in pushing Vince to sign Regins. Thats only 1 good thing so far.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The facts says that they won't because they're appealling to the lowest common denominator (dumb smarks) which will hurt the company in the long run. WCW worked because it appealled to casuals with a good product, which AEW doesn't appeal to casuals they only appeal to smarks. And plus Nirto beat Raw on its fourth episode it didn't take a long time for Nitro to compete with Raw because Nitro was better and casuals gravitated towards it. Those talents aren't game changers like John Cena, Randy Orton, and Brock Lesnar are so they're just getting WWE's left overs. If they got anyone of those 3 talents that I just named then yeah MIGHT be competition but it'll never happen because they don't have the money to pay those guys.They'll never become competition so just enjoy AEW.

TNA got as big as it did because they built their own stars, I don't see AEW doing that I just see ex WWE guys hogging the spotlight in the main feuds and in the main event.
Jericho's apparently getting better pay there than with WWE, alot of people might be motivated to join for better deals. I dont know if theyll do what Bischoff did and call everyone to ask to sign contracts. But right now AEW feels like a pool of bitter ex wwe upper midcard talent But maybe guys like Reigns and Rollins will end up there? 😄 I dont see that happening but I can't rule that out.

·
Registered
21,581 Posts
You know Shane wanted Steve Blackman to get a big push at one point

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
No. That was the hope, but there is no way the WWE is going to change their successful business model, whatever you personally think of the content, because of 900k viewers. That is why I have been such a staunch critic. That is why I, frankly, mad at them. This was the golden opportunity to take it to Vince, and they blew it.

Oh well, enjoy the monopoly.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was hoping they would be a viable alternative, who could compete with WWE, but as has been said before, they've spent millions to barely compete with NXT. I know a lot of people who have already given up on AEW.

If they carry on their nonsensical approach of appealing to the smarks and putting out a glorified Indie promotion, they will never compete.

As for WCW, they had been around for decades in some form. It wasn't a brand new start up.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,644 Posts
It'll only make it better if it makes more money.

I don't think beating the likes of Raw and Smackdown will make them better - as theyll just point to their bank balance.

Im just glad we have a different wrestling show on easy accessible television, that for me is a much better and easier watch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts