Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people here might remember the infamous nobody jobbers. Big name superstar, random jobber. This was good and bad. Good thing was that feuds didn't get as boring fast because you didn't have the same guys fighting every single show. Bad thing was, most of the time, no one gave a fuck about the boring jobber.

Of course there was big name superstar vs big name superstar, but that was reserved for shows like Saturday Night's Main Even and PPVs. It isn't like now where the same guys fight every single show for a year.

One of the problems I personally find with feuds is just what I mentioned: the same guys fight every single show and then we have to pay for a PPV to watch the same guys fight again? Not to mention you get multiple PPVs in a row that have pretty much the exact same matches as the last PPV. Wow, Jericho vs Punk again? That hasn't already happened.....30 times.

I don't know if I would like the idea of random jobbers coming back but what do you guys think could help the product? What old element would you like to see come back and mix with present wrestling that may make it interesting again?

Not to say that everyone thinks wrestling is garbage now but it isn't as good as it once was, imo.

I also think PPVs should be vastly cut down. No need for 15 PPVs when we could have the 4 main ones and allow some time for feud build ups.

Another thing is the amount of talking vs the amount of wrestling. I get that wrestling is basically a soap opera now but you get two hours of wrestling each show and most of it is talking.....

·
Banned
401 Posts
A mix could definitely work.

A big problem though and additive to nostalgia was the lack of technology. I mean look at this forum today. Everyone is up each other's ass about if Cena or Punk are the guy now. You didn't have that option in 1987.

As a fan you watched on TV and saw people marking for Hogan so you assumed that's who everyone liked and moved on with your life.

Not now. Now if Cena gets cheered we come on here going I wonder why he was really being cheered and you find out he was in a car accident, it's his birthday or his Grandma Betty is in the hospital. Then you have that well I guess I can suffer it tonight, let him have his moment.

That is why the Attitude Era was so big though, this was all new. Now it's all just a bitch fest and a bunch of people arguing over contracts and jobbing, a bunch of shit that they don't know what they are even talking about.

This though is why I keep saying that WWE and wrestling in general are going under. The balance sheet is all in the red right now. It's like a circus or rodeo. Fun in the eighties and nineties but now its like we go on the internet and find Alonzo the flying trapeze man has a drug problem and is gay or Joe Cowboy punched his Mama over train tickets and is trying to sell car insurance as well as being a real "cowboy."

Reactions: Catalanotto

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
A mix could definitely work.

A big problem though and additive to nostalgia was the lack of technology. I mean look at this forum today. Everyone is up each other's ass about if Cena or Punk are the guy now. You didn't have that option in 1987.

As a fan you watched on TV and saw people marking for Hogan so you assumed that's who everyone liked and moved on with your life.

Not now. Now if Cena gets cheered we come on here going I wonder why he was really being cheered and you find out he was in a car accident, it's his birthday or his Grandma Betty is in the hospital. Then you have that well I guess I can suffer it tonight, let him have his moment.

That is why the Attitude Era was so big though, this was all new. Now it's all just a bitch fest and a bunch of people arguing over contracts and jobbing, a bunch of shit that they don't know what they are even talking about.

This though is why I keep saying that WWE and wrestling in general are going under. The balance sheet is all in the red right now. It's like a circus or rodeo. Fun in the eighties and nineties but now its like we go on the internet and find Alonzo the flying trapeze man has a drug problem and is gay or Joe Cowboy punched his Mama over train tickets and is trying to sell car insurance as well as being a real "cowboy."
Dear God bro!

I agree with this but its because we always have this conversation.

Wrestling needs to make a big splash in a eye opening new way while incorporating the old. The idea of wrestling is getting pretty stale.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I'd say cutting back on the number of PPV's would allow feuds to properly develop, which is something rarely seen outside the main event. I also believe that all titles should be taken seriously and those wearing them should portray themselves as the BEST. Everybody knows that the US/Intercontinental titles are "midcard" titles, but the champions should present themselves as being better than the World/WWE champions (not necessarily feuding the the World/WWE champion, but carrying the champion aura so to speak), the Diva who holds the Divas' title should portray herself as the best Diva on the roster, same with the Tag Team champions. It's well documented that the last two divisions have been utter shit recently, but that doesn't mean things can't change.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Some people here might remember the infamous nobody jobbers. Big name superstar, random jobber. This was good and bad. Good thing was that feuds didn't get as boring fast because you didn't have the same guys fighting every single show. Bad thing was, most of the time, no one gave a fuck about the boring jobber. Of course there was big name superstar vs big name superstar, but that was reserved for shows like Saturday Night's Main Even and PPVs. It isn't like now where the same guys fight every single show for a year. One of the problems I personally find with feuds is just what I mentioned: the same guys fight every single show and then we have to pay for a PPV to watch the same guys fight again? Not to mention you get multiple PPVs in a row that have pretty much the exact same matches as the last PPV. Wow, Jericho vs Punk again? That hasn't already happened.....30 times. I don't know if I would like the idea of random jobbers coming back but what do you guys think could help the product? What old element would you like to see come back and mix with present wrestling that may make it interesting again? Not to say that everyone thinks wrestling is garbage now but it isn't as good as it once was, imo. I also think PPVs should be vastly cut down. No need for 15 PPVs when we could have the 4 main ones and allow some time for feud build ups. Another thing is the amount of talking vs the amount of wrestling. I get that wrestling is basically a soap opera now but you get two hours of wrestling each show and most of it is talking.....
Im all for bringing jobbers back. The roster could totally use 2-3 face and heel jobbers. Remember some of those matches from the late 80's when Warrior would gorilla press those poor guys? I felt so bad for them even as an 8 year old kid. Guys like the Brooklyn Brawler and Barry Horowitz (sp) were awesome.

Bring back King of the Fucking Ring for the love of God. This was an outstanding idea for a PPV and a great way to push guys. Call me old school but Im not a huge fan of Money in the Bank. I mean it's ok but how about the winner of KotR gets a shot at the title at Summerslam? How about Elimination Chamber at Survivor Series every year? I agree they should not have SO many PPVs but I also think in 2012 that four is not enough. I think 7-8 is fair with the four main ones, King of the Ring, something around Halloween (Havoc) and something around Xmas time (Starrcade perhaps?) and maybe one other random one like Great American Bash or something? Thats enough PPVs and solves the problem with feud development. I think Punk and Jericho put on a classic at Mania and think they will have a great match Sunday but I agree it's felt forced and rushed at times.

Good post and topic.

Reactions: Catalanotto

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
I actually think that the big name guys, Punk, Cena, Orton, Sheamus, etc, the main eventers, shouldn't actually wrestle on Raw or Smackdown at all. They can be the focus, but if they only wrestled on PPV, then any time they wrestled it's a treat. Because of that, the midcard titles, the US and IC championships, can be the main events of the tv shows, essentially bringing their importance back up. Of course, this is an old school booking mentality.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Why are threads like these ignored and we have all these stupid threads up right now where people are trying to figure out if they know what's legal or not?

BUMP

·
Banned
110 Posts
A mix of old and new wrestlers could definitely work.

This era right now (despite actually being junk) is set up similar to the Golden Era. I could easily see a mix of current wrestlers and new wrestlers. I actually think this could be the intention of the WWE network.

·
Banned
80 Posts
I would love to see the old jobbers a jobbing.

Pretty much be in seventh heaven if Hacksaw or Piper fought Ziggler or Rhodes!

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
I would love to see the old jobbers a jobbing.

Pretty much be in seventh heaven if Hacksaw or Piper fought Ziggler or Rhodes!
Like that really terrible show? I'm a mountain climb me. LOL YOU SCARE ME

Anyway, this actually would be pretty cool to see Hacksaw or Piper fighting Ziggler or Rhodes. Repped.

·
Banned
401 Posts
What would be some seriously awesome match-ups?

I want to see Sgt. Slaughter vs. Triple H lol...

Snuka versus Ziggler would be cool though!

·
Post'n Errry Now and Then
1,709 Posts
For the love of god please stop with the gimmick PPV's those are terrible. What kind of PPV name is Elimination Chamber or TLC just stupid and its overkill and going to make people not want to see it. On to the point Id love for some Jobbers to come back, Punk v Barry Stevens is ratings right there.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The WWE could absolutely learn from it's past and incorporate proven tactics that would go a long way to improve the product. That's of course assuming the WWE even gives a shit about the wrestling product... which I think they've made pretty clear that they don't.

Their in-ring product, just like their film division, just like their merch... it's all become just a numbers game. It's become quite clear that the higher ups no longer give a shit about running a legitimate wrestling promotion. It's a variety show now, you just have to deal with it unfortunately.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The WWE could absolutely learn from it's past and incorporate proven tactics that would go a long way to improve the product. That's of course assuming the WWE even gives a shit about the wrestling product... which I think they've made pretty clear that they don't.

Their in-ring product, just like their film division, just like their merch... it's all become just a numbers game. It's become quite clear that the higher ups no longer give a shit about running a legitimate wrestling promotion. It's a variety show now, you just have to deal with it unfortunately.

Absolutely, and that is what is so sad about it.

They put more effort in the set designs than anything else. Even most of the titantrons are a fucking joke. They just throw together random scenes that don't really fit the music. Punk's Cult of Personality titantron is the best one they've done in quite a while. Other than that, the effort is just non-existent.

They have been successful in destroying the tag team division and it blows my mind that they chose to keep the ridiculous Divas Championship over the Women's Championship. The Women's Championship holds a fairly respectable history. The Divas Championship is ridiculous and childish. OOHHHH, LOOK AT THE PRETTY BUTTERFLY, LOLOLOLOL

It's like they ENJOY making themselves look stupid.

There was also more variety back then when it came to the top guys. Now, you get the same 3 or 4 guys dominating your television screen.

I wonder how a mix of the golden era and attitude era would hold up.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
There's just so much overexposure of guys it isn't even funny. That's why the brand extension was created to give these guys the opportunity to remain somewhat fresher in the audience's eyes. The problem occurred when WWE got uncreative and lazy about pushing talent so now they have to put as much star power in "Supershows" every week instead of every month or so like Cat pointed out in SNME. So we get "Supershows" every week and PPVs every 3 weeks and nothing feels special anymore.

I don't think bringing in more jobbers or talent enhancement is the answer because the viewing audience's standards have changed as well. That's what puts WWE in a tougher position to deliver with stars interacting with each other every week. There is pressure for WWE to get good viewership and TV ratings every week and competition from other shows on TV that they sometimes in their mind can't afford slow builds anymore like wee old school fans are used to.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Those of us who've been watching long enough would probably agree that there's merit in adopting some 'old school' techniques. On one hand they've remained profitable for an extended period of time so are likely to have an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude, on the other it baffles me why the hold steadfast to business practices adopted during the Monday Night Wars.

For me it seems like a no-brainer. Enhancement talent gives opportunity/experience/foot-in-the-door/employment for the youngsters and allows current stars to appear strong and allows them shine. Combined with a diminished number of PPVs would build the 'big match atmosphere' and possibly increase the bottom-line.

But I'm not a businessman, just a wrestling fan.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
It's a very conflicting predicament they are in but I think it could be fixed if they had a more creative writing team, pushed guys better and take a chance on slower/stronger character & storyline builds to PPV every months. It would also help if they honored the brand extension again so that more guys have the opportunity to shine on TV every week. They can keep the PPVs combined brands but I think the TV should go back to exclusively Raw brand and Smackdown brand again.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
I've never been a fan of 'passing the buck' to the creative team for a number of reasons which would probably be deserving of a thread of its own. Sufficed to say, I think they do the best they can given their skill sets and the work environment. Professional writing isn't always about doing what's best for the story or writing things you like, sometimes it's about doing the job your told to do whether you think it's good/interesting or not.

The brand extensions should definitely be honoured though and built as completely separate entities, giving more credibility to the inevitable Raw vs Smackdown conflicts. Kinda like how the heels and faces used to be kept in different dressing rooms to add to the heat and unpredictability between them.

To add something new to the discourse, less heel/face turns to try to solve character problems, because that really is lazy writing. If only they had the dedication they give to Cena, in pushing through a character to respect the overall vision, with all their major characters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts