Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 788 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Whelp this thing has spread rather far and wide since like 2 weeks ago. Seems like it behave like the flu instead of its other coronavirus cousins like SARS or MERS, making it much harder to contain. Random confirmed case in Iraq and Egypt make it seem like it will be less likely to be contained and remain with us like flu seasons.

Weirdest thing is people robbing toilet paper in Hong Kong due to fear of a shortage.

A surprising silver lining is the outbreak reduced carbon emission in China by almost 25% compared to if things were running as usual the past two weeks. Virus is fighting climate change better than so-called activists. :p

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Lucky that the death rate is pretty low or the incompetent Chinese response would have rekt everything by now.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
CDC warns Americans of 'significant disruption' from coronavirus

Why U.S. officials are escalating their concerns over novel coronavirus

U.S. health officials issued a strong warning about novel coronavirus on Tuesday despite remarks from the Trump administration stating they have the situation under control.

Until now, health officials said they'd hoped to prevent community spread in the U.S. But following community transmissions in Italy, Iran and South Korea, health officials believe the virus may not be able to be contained at the border and that Americans should prepare for a "significant disruption."

"Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country,"
Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said Tuesday at a news conference.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,021 Posts
Case in Brazil means that it has been on every continent but Antarctica.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
South Korea has over 2000 cases now. Worst hit outside of China. What is it with them and outbreaks? They were the hardest hit outside the origin of the outbreak with MERS too. According to Korean media one of the person in charge of handling the virus there committed suicide. Probably out of stress or fear of being the scapegoat of the outbreak. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Coronavirus may infect up to 70% of world's population, expert warns

Boston — The coronavirus death toll now tops 3,000 worldwide, with nearly 90,000 cases. But even those numbers are nothing compared to what could happen in the months ahead.

CBS News spoke to one of the country's top experts on viruses, Marc Lipsitch from Harvard University, who cautions that 40-70% of the world's population will become infected — and from that number, 1% of people who get symptoms from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, could die. The virus can spread rapidly and people can transmit it before they know they are infected.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Also from the same CBS link above^^

Axelrod: And for people tryin' to get their arms around this right now, I think it's a worthwhile question to ask you. Is this coronavirus an existential threat?

Lipsitch: This is not an existential threat. This is, qualitatively, it's very much like a bad pandemic of influenza, which we experienced arguably twice or three times in the 20th Century. It's worse than the one that we experienced in 2009. But none of those brought civilization close to its knees. They made things awful for a while.

Axelrod: And this won't either?

Lipsitch: And this will not either.
If this is predicted to be worse than H1N1 in the US a decade ago, good luck trying to isolate suspected carriers in the US like how China locked down cities in January in their attempt to contain it. Muh freedom types going to be wild. ^^

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Somehow I feel the media(include non official news portal like personal blog) only make it worst with how they reported the news,when SARS happened in early 2000, I was sophomore year in high school and i read about this virus killed at least one person every single day but never saw the mass panic like this.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Media didn't feel that much different. It is just more people are more insecure these days and less trusting of actual experts so they are more prone to doing stupid stuff like stocking up on toilet paper.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I feel that because some people are kinda oversmart these days, they feel they know it all after looking the information from internet but never check if they get it from reliable source or just crappy report.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I remember the swine flu aka H1N1. I spent four hours waiting in line at the Iowa State Fairgrounds for the vaccine for it. That was no fun.

Meanwhile while no cases here but it is impacting my work. I had business meetings scheduled for New York, Washington DC, and Atlanta the next three months. The NYC and DC ones are out and I will do those by video conferencing. Atlanta is in May so that is a maybe.

Just in case I can access jugs for water and have our kitchen and two freezers stocked with food to last us at least a few months. I don’t picture it being that bad but best to be ready.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Coronavirus may infect up to 70% of world's population, expert warns

Boston — The coronavirus death toll now tops 3,000 worldwide, with nearly 90,000 cases. But even those numbers are nothing compared to what could happen in the months ahead.

CBS News spoke to one of the country's top experts on viruses, Marc Lipsitch from Harvard University, who cautions that 40-70% of the world's population will become infected — and from that number, 1% of people who get symptoms from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, could die. The virus can spread rapidly and people can transmit it before they know they are infected.
Guarantee there won't be even 4-7% of the population affected let alone that absurd number.

This is just overblown nonsense like the rest of them.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Guarantee there won't be even 4-7% of the population affected let alone that absurd number.

This is just overblown nonsense like the rest of them.
The swine flu 11 years ago affected an estimated 10% of the world, I could see it hitting similar numbers once it start spreading in the US with a significant percentage of their population's disregard towards isolation/quarantine orders due to 'freedom'. A person working in a freaking medical center from New Hampshire ignored isolation orders to attend an event and potentially spread the disease to others.

Also there are reports of people that tested positive for the virus after recovery. Hopefully it is just the flaw of the test kits at this early stage ad that those who recovered are not contagious.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have a long weekend planned for the end of March in Prague and two weeks in the US in early May. Luckily my travel insurance is annual and was bought in August.

Work have told us employees are now locked down to certain sites and we can't travel between them until this is over.

I'd be more nervous about being a carrier and giving it to someone old and unhealthy than actually ending up in hospital myself. I've never quite seen this reaction to a pandemic in my lifetime though.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Kim Jong Un just close the border and forbid any foreign tourist to visit the country.

21 - 40 of 788 Posts