Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Cornette slams Firefly Funhouse match, assumes John Cena did it because he’s not coming back & thinks that the business is dead.

On Cena’s involvement in the match:
“What was that? It wasn’t — and I like John Cena, and I’ve never said anything bad about John Cena. I assume John Cena is gone also from the WWE and will never come back, that’s the only reason he participated in this, I would think. Because he’d never be seen again by the audience.”
On his reaction as he was watching the match:
“How do I make notes on this? He came to the ring, then Bray’s in the Fun House in the video. Then Cena’s in the Fun House. Then he goes through the door because the puppet tells him to, and you know, and f**king Lewis Caroll has Alice down the rabbit hole. I wrote the following: ‘This is the end of wrestling, why am I wasting my time watching this? This isn’t even a cool movie fight scene. This is just stupid and non-sensical. Even in the movie fight scene, they weren’t obviously acting silly and doing shtick with each other. I’ve never met Bray Wyatt, but I’m disappointed in John Cena. Bray Wyatt was emoting to the silly background music. [stammers] I don’t know what the f**k was going on.
“Then they’ve changed characters, Cena was all of his old characters. But then Bray Wyatt was f**king, Hulk Hogan, or somebody was doing something. ‘He disappeared, this makes no sense. Cena’s Hogan on Nitro, I hate this, what does this s**t even mean?’ These are the things that I’m writing. ‘Fiend appears and hits Cena with his finish, and the Mandible Claw, and Bray Wyatt counted the pin in a different shot for his own self, holding Cena.’ So I wrote, ‘Did he win? Thank f**k this is over. I assume John never wants to come back to this bulls**t.’”
On the match making fun of the wrestling business:
“It didn’t even make any sense as phony wrestling! It didn’t make any sense as anything. It was making fun of the wrestling business, having them obviously work together to not just do what Taker and AJ did, which was have a reasonably realistic-looking movie fight, but to have silliness and stupidity , and act in it and be a part of it. And it didn’t even — so it accomplished nothing good, because it made the business look like f**king — well, I don’t even. I don’t even know if this could make the wrestling business look bad, because what the f**k besides the fact that these guys were portrayed as wrestlers beforehand, there was no wrestling involved here. It’s just stupid. But it wasn’t good at anything. It wasn’t a good movie, it wasn’t a good movie fight scene, it wasn’t performed well because it didn’t make any sense. You couldn’t follow it to begin with. What the f**k was this?”

On whether the match has killed the business:
“If you did this on a wrestling program even 10 years ago, it would put your company out of business. And now for — for everybody that was waiting on me to cut the big promos saying, ‘Well, this has killed the business,’ it’s too late. I acknowledge that. It’s over with anyway. We have — that’s — what I said a few weeks ago … I have no interest in being involved in this s**t anymore, because the cause is lost and the fight is over. And when we are actually in a position where not only fans but wrestlers are debating whether the Invisible Man should be booked on a card, where anybody can participate no matter what their size, or age, or skill, or whatever and be called a professional wrestler."
"And where even the participants put up absolutely no pretense that they’re not completely full of s**t, and the fans think that there’s nothing wrong with that, this is not a f**king industry that I want to be involved in anymore as it currently exists. The fight is over. So I can’t really muster a horrible, scathing promo on how bad this was for the business at this point, because the f**king business is f**king done. Whatever this is, it ain’t the wrestling business. And it appeals to an ever tightening circle of f**king people who want to see silly s**t. But the more that they do of this, the more they run off all those people who over 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago, 40 years ago, would have watched wrestling till the day they f**king died. And now we’re like, ‘F**k it, I just can’t take this anymore.’ That’s where we’re at.”

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,706 Posts
Jim Cornette is always talking about what's killing the business but then doesn't have any new ideas to save it, he thinks just doing the old shit is enough-- dude is the Joe Biden of wrestling.

If we went back to the territories and studio wrestling would there be more people watching weekly than the 6 or so million that currently watch every week?

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
He ain't wrong in this instance. It was utter garbage. If only he'd learn not to be a casual racist for the lolz and have apologized he could still be in NWA with Corgan.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I don't think the Firefly Fun House match was meant to come off as literal reality. Cornette's whole issue of them "working together", I feel like the whole thing was the viewer getting an actual view of the psyche of Bray Wyatt, how his hatred of Cena formed this fantastical Fun House alternate reality. Cena sees all this and comes to the realisation that his actions through his career destroyed people like Bray, which allowed him to release the negative emotions and "let the Fiend in".

However it is interpreted, it was a clear deconstruction of Cena's character. Cornette may be right that Cena is done, because how does he come back and do his old schtick after that?

The match really entertained me, and the fact that it pissed off such a staunch traditionalist like Cornette makes me love it more.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Jim Cornette is always talking about what's killing the business but then doesn't have any new ideas to save it, he thinks just doing the old shit is enough-- dude is the Joe Biden of wrestling.

If we went back to the territories and studio wrestling would there be more people watching weekly than the 6 or so million that currently watch every week?
Probably closer to 3M a week given I can't imagine there isn't 95% audience share beteen Raw and SDL viewership.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,706 Posts
Probably closer to 3M a week given I can't imagine there isn't 95% audience share beteen Raw and SDL viewership.
That's probably true but if we're comparing it to territory shows there would be a certain amount of overlap there too, I'm sure Deep South fans used to watch Smokey Mountain wrestling.

Without an accurate way to measure the overlap it's better to measure in terms of absolute views.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I know some may say he is old and cranky, but he has a point. We all know WWE goes overboad with things. This could lead WWE to just doing segments like this and cut out actual wrestling and training wrestlers for actual matches.

We shall see how this turns out if they go more in this direction or if they will use it only when it is warranted, but we all know WWE's lack of restraint.

It's ironic because the segment actually shows WWE trying to chase the ghost of their past with the clips they used. They have not made a new John Cena as they failed with Roman. They possibly passed up a huge heel run by Cena.

They are still chasing that 80's era of having a Hulk Hogan who they tried to do with Cena, but got mixed reactions. If you look at the segment from an era perspective and deconstruction and then take what Cornette is saying you can see it possibly as WWE admitting they are also giving up on trying to get back to their past glory.

The segment really should have led to an actual match, but they know and so do most fans that the match would suck and bore people because it would be predictable kick out finisher fest like those two title matches.

The same with Taker and AJ. They knew very well the match may have ended up a disaster like UT/Roman or UT/Goldberg.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I used to just read Cornette quotes and just judging by those, I thought he came across as a very angry and bitter dude.

But after actually listening to the audio as he says it, I definitely have changed my stance on it.

Most of his opinions he gives he is either laughing or joking around while giving them. It's not like he's sitting there fuming and getting himself super worked up to the point where he is just spewing hate. He simply watches modern wrestling and gives his unfiltered opinion on it. He has tens of thousands of people that tune into his channel to hear his opinion on different topics. The guy doesn't like a lot of what modern WWE has become. And judging by their audience that is shrinking by the day, many others share his opinion.

I've never heard him make declarations that he thinks he could turn the business back to Attitude Era heights. He's spoken several times how he would never want to work for current WWE as he wouldn't want to just bow down to everything Vince wants, because he doesn't agree with 80% of it.

Cornette isn't for everyone, but the guy doesn't make any bones about who he is. He actually seems to be a pretty happy guy at this stage in his life. I've seen him on recent WWE docs and other interviews. He has a smile from ear to ear in all of them.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts

I think you're failing to acknowledge that many of these viewers watch multiple shows. SO there are probably significantly less than 6 million unique viewers.

That said, I think Cornette is a guy that is of the mind that you need to look to the past to fix the future which isn't necessarily a bad idea because there was clearly something that worked in the past far better than whatever is being done now. Adapting that for the modern era is the difficult part

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I fully agree with his comments about them obviously “working together”.

Cena’s acting was like he’s a host from a children’s afterschool special from the 90’s.

They could’ve shot the same content without it looking like a playful skit.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,977 Posts
I heard the podcast and I want to sort some things out before. No, I am not defending it, just putting it into perspective.

Just another old man yelling about nothing. Whatever.
I know some may say he is old and cranky, but he has a point. We all know WWE goes overboad with things.
Cornette was not just a photograph and later a wrestling manager. He ran a promotion and he worked as (real) manager/creative with Vince and the others for years. He is an old man, but therefore he knows all the OLD MEN sitting in WWE backstage and steering this thing. He worked with the complete old guard there. :D
That doesn`t mean everything he says is gold or he is 100% right about everything. No!
It is just his comments/jokes are worth more than some wannabe experts with YT, which were never backstage and don`t know any of these people. Knowing Vince & all the other peeps there from a "wrestling news" website is not the same thing, as knowing these people and especially working with them backstage for very many years.

I used to just read Cornette quotes and just judging by those, I thought he came across as a very angry and bitter dude.

But after actually listening to the audio as he says it, I definitely have changed my stance on it.
... * good stuff *
Very good description, to bad there are no rep points anymore :) , I will just add a few points. When some names came up (Bruce, Eric) last months who were hired for WWE, he said himself that he couldn`t do it anymore, because of travelling and the especially the stress.
We all know the (show) rage interviews from years ago. Meanwhile he is doing more or less cabaret on his shows. In my opinion it is not for every day, but here and there I listen. So just reading it from the text and giving it the impression of a written article, no heat to OP (no better way to make it compact), doesn`t reflect what really happened on the show.

Regarding the Cena topic. :D
It was funny at this very evening, I hang with people in chat and most of them liked it. But it was under the impression of a show without a crowd and the sad circumstances giving. Therefore this "journey" put us on different places, a few good memories, and it was fine.
If you watch it with a more objective view, well, what is left then? Before the match even started I thought: this will be Cena vs. The muppets. In parts it was exactly that. From all the matches at this two evenings, this would be the very last match I would think about showing a casual viewer or someone not being into wrestling. Everybody would ask, wth his was?
It was fun for this evening, but if they plan to do such movies now as serious part of the program, would we really like that? I can just speak for myself: I wouldn`t.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts

Cornette's got plenty of ideas. NXT is basically what he envisioned for OVW and later ROH. I don't know why this popped into my head, but he came up with a really good way to book Ricochet in the WWE. His booking for Ronda Rousey was excellent too. It's not so much that you need "new" ideas anyway. If wrestling didn't deviate so far from what it is supposed to be at its core, you wouldn't need to come up with something "new."

And Cornette himself has said that he's sick of trying to fix it, and that he believes it can't actually be fixed because it's too far gone. So no, you probably can't put on a serious product and get fans back, because they don't trust wrestling anymore.

The boy who cried "This just killed the business!"
He's not wrong though. Wrestling outside whatever the WWE is fucking niche as fucking fuck.

Gotta love the usual "old man yells at clouds" crowd that dismiss Cornette instead of what he's actually saying. Don't read too many logical responses trying to explain how he is wrong, just that it hurts modern fans to hear it.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,063 Posts
Brian Last is who ticks me off... you can subtly hear how he will take any chance possible even reaching just to take a shot at the current product. I mean the way he goes out of his way to take a shot sometimes is disgusting. After listening for awhile you can pick up on it.

Corny will rant... and add why he feels one way or another... Brian just never looks for anything even remotely decent to say...

Brian we get it... you don’t like the current wwe... you don’t have to watch man

1 - 20 of 105 Posts