Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Whaaaa?

- WCW before Hogan and from about 1996-1998/1999 was generally pretty serious. Granted they had a few goofy characters (Dungeon Of Doom, Glacier, Robocop) the main events were serious stories that were realistic in their approach. The nWo became a huge deal because of just how serious and realistic it was and the silly shit was generally kept to a segment or two a week.
It was still extremely cartoony. In a serious promotion guys like road warrior and sting would not get pushed because of their size and look or be painted up the way they were. You mentioned certain things but overuse of gimmick matches, black scorpion, White Castle of fear, Shock Master etc put it in same bracket as what Vince was doing not what was happening between 1900-1950

I should point out this is what us pro wrestling used to be. A time when pro wrestling was still considered a sport and shared the back and front pages of newspapers with football, baseball, boxing

- I'd argue TNA for the majority of it's life was pretty serious also. They didn't do a whole lot of exposing the business in their peak and offered a more serious and realistic alternative to what WWE was doing at the time. I was a long time TNA fan and I remember the only time I was really insulted was when Matt Hardy became "broken" and fought his brother with drones and shot explosives at him. Now they do really stupid comedy shit all the time and book intergender stuff but for the entirety of Dixie's run it was generally serious wrestling.
TNA the company that gave us claire Lynch, fish market Street fight, reverse battle royal, electrified steel cage match, lock box challenge, Jenna Morasca wrestling on ppv

They tried to out-zany Vince

- I don't follow ROH anymore but when I did their style was always quite serious also. That might have changed as it's been a few years since I was actively following.
Roh weren't on national TV though. 2005-09 was probably most serious any known us promotion got in last 30 because ecw was zany as fuck, uswa and away went full on crazy.

- Hell, you could even argue certain time periods in the WWE were super serious. I don't remember too much silliness from like 01-04/05 from the WWE.
When business started to fall in 2001 Vince went full on car crash and obviously it flopped.

Night after survivor series 2001 you had Vince pulling down his pants and making people kiss his ass, hla, Al Wilson, Katie Vick, Heidenreich raping Cole, Eugene, Goldberg in a wig,.. attitude era or today actually would have been a better period to pick :)

I assume this post is going to have people saying "On TNA June 4th, 2005 AJ Styles wore a turkey suit to the ring and wrestled in it!" and you all are probably right. I'm talking general tone of these shows though. I'd say AEW has done more comedy and exposing of the business than anyone on national television in a long time (Maybe ever)
I have issues with aew (some big ones) but I don't think they are exposing the business any worse than a giant chicken man hatching from an egg, RoboCop saving sting, a guy who thinks he is a rooster, a wrestling manbull, a clown and bunch of midget wrestling clowns, group of wrestlers running around the ring after a raw turkey, undertaker dying and ascending to heaven, a 7 foot mummy born out of a block of ice, 80 year old woman given birth to a hand, a leprechaun and land of little people living under the ring.

There has been so much silly shit in us pro wrestling over the past 35 years that stuff like Marko stunt or orange Cassidy doesn't bother me. Once Vince cut that 'welcome to the attitude era' spiel in 1997 he told everyone this is fake and we borrow from cartoons/comedies etc.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
By giving them a reason to be there. A mid card title would go a long way to making 95% of their roster matter. Unfortunately, AEW's midcard is currently filled with jobbers or people who shouldn't even be there. Again, I just don't understand the logic behind some of their signings when there's so much better talent available. Imagine Hammerstone, Flip, Jacob Fatu, Jiro Kuroshio, Davey Boy, Chris Ridgeway, Pillman Jr., The Von Erichs and Eli Drake fighting it out for a mid card title instead of Darby Allin, SCU, Havoc, Janella, Sabian, Stunt and Guevara.

Holy fuck, I've just had a thought. AEW think the tag team titles are a mid card title..
I mean I just named a bunch of great talent, and I resent your implication that Darby somehow should be cut loose.

Just give those talents angles with as much love and attention as the big dick storylines you've got, right now Mox/Jericho and Cody/MJF and you're golden.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,617 Posts
By giving them a reason to be there. A mid card title would go a long way to making 95% of their roster matter. Unfortunately, AEW's midcard is currently filled with jobbers or people who shouldn't even be there. Again, I just don't understand the logic behind some of their signings when there's so much better talent available. Imagine Hammerstone, Flip, Jacob Fatu, Jiro Kuroshio, Davey Boy, Chris Ridgeway, Pillman Jr., The Von Erichs and Eli Drake fighting it out for a mid card title instead of Darby Allin, SCU, Havoc, Janella, Sabian, Stunt and Guevara.

Holy fuck, I've just had a thought. AEW think the tag team titles are a mid card title..
Except both Darby and Guevara are better than anyone you listed there. Only one debatable is Fatu and while great is a just another typical monster heel. Darby and Sammy have unique characters that are multi layered and getting over huge.

But of course they're SMALL right?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Except both Darby and Guevara are better than anyone you listed there. Only one debatable is Fatu and while great is a just another typical monster heel. Darby and Sammy have unique characters that are multi layered and getting over huge.

Yes, it's because they're SMALL, yet he named Flip, Jiro, and Ridgway who are obviously giant mountains of muscle. I like Darby and Sammy btw, so don't start down that route.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It was still extremely cartoony. In a serious promotion guys like road warrior and sting would not get pushed because of their size and look or be painted up the way they were. You mentioned certain things but overuse of gimmick matches, black scorpion, White Castle of fear, Shock Master etc put it in same bracket as what Vince was doing not what was happening between 1900-1950

I should point out this is what us pro wrestling used to be. A time when pro wrestling was still considered a sport and shared the back and front pages of newspapers with football, baseball, boxing

TNA the company that gave us claire Lynch, fish market Street fight, reverse battle royal, electrified steel cage match, lock box challenge, Jenna Morasca wrestling on ppv

They tried to out-zany Vince

Roh weren't on national TV though. 2005-09 was probably most serious any known us promotion got in last 30 because ecw was zany as fuck, uswa and away went full on crazy.

When business started to fall in 2001 Vince went full on car crash and obviously it flopped.

Night after survivor series 2001 you had Vince pulling down his pants and making people kiss his ass, hla, Al Wilson, Katie Vick, Heidenreich raping Cole, Eugene, Goldberg in a wig,.. attitude era or today actually would have been a better period to pick :)

I have issues with aew (some big ones) but I don't think they are exposing the business any worse than a giant chicken man hatching from an egg, RoboCop saving sting, a guy who thinks he is a rooster, a wrestling manbull, a clown and bunch of midget wrestling clowns, group of wrestlers running around the ring after a raw turkey, undertaker dying and ascending to heaven, a 7 foot mummy born out of a block of ice, 80 year old woman given birth to a hand, a leprechaun and land of little people living under the ring.

There has been so much silly shit in us pro wrestling over the past 35 years that stuff like Marko stunt or orange Cassidy doesn't bother me. Once Vince cut that 'welcome to the attitude era' spiel in 1997 he told everyone this is fake and we borrow from cartoons/comedies etc.
MY MAN!!!! BRAVO!!!!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

Better at what? One of them is a cunt who takes advantage of addicts for his own entertainment and the other, like I've said before, needs time. He is flippy and small yeah, but he needs to work on a lot before he should be on TV. Also the AEW talent I named is for the most part, terrible.. The other wrestlers I named would give this company a boost, instead of idling with average talent that barely anybody wants to watch.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yes, it's because they're SMALL, yet he named Flip, Jiro, and Ridgway who are obviously giant mountains of muscle. I like Darby and Sammy btw, so don't start down that route.
Mate, don't bring logic into this argument. It will get you nowhere. I like Sammy but despise Darby as a human being. The difference between the small guys I named and the small guys I'd have them replace is that they know when and why to do certain moves and they can sell. I just hope the bucks aren't coaching in AEW

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,617 Posts
That was in reference to all the AEW guys he named being constantly called out for their size, not the ones in the other group.

Thanks for playing though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do you not understand the comparison he was making though? If I had a problem with them being little, why would I list other small wrestlers?
On the topic of smaller wrestlers, I'll throw out another name that I think would be a terrific addition, that being David Starr. Seriously, watch these two matches with Jordan Devlin and WALTER and try telling me the guy doesn't have a great sense of ring psychology:

·
Registered
19,962 Posts

What makes them better? And what exactly is unique and multilayered about Sammy? Just because Sammy is doing cocky heel well doesn't mean he's unique. I mean unless you're going to say he carries a camera that makes him unique. Which even then paparazzi productions did that in TNA

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
On the topic of smaller wrestlers, I'll throw out another name that I think would be a terrific addition, that being David Starr. Seriously, watch these two matches with Jordan Devlin and WALTER and try telling me the guy doesn't have a great sense of ring psychology:

This is what confuses me. There's just so many better options. I'm starting to think the talent AEW have don't want to be overshadowed.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
This is what confuses me. There's just so many better options. I'm starting to think the talent AEW have don't want to be overshadowed.
Holy shit, I was having this thought just the other day. I can't remember if I've verbalised it here in the past.

I know it's come up with The Young Bucks, and why they might not want Jay and Mark Briscoe hovering around. But I was thinking about Cody. He's been the best babyface on this thing, and he gets the big entrances and the Triple H-esque focus.

I don't want to be the guy that finds a way to trash Cody, lol, but what if he's not just towing company line with all the talk about buffets and such, and he deliberately wants everyone else to be a goof so that he can be the only serious babyface?

I'd like to think that Cody would do the best thing for the promotion if he were the one booking everything, but it's just something I've been pondering.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Holy shit, I was having this thought just the other day. I can't remember if I've verbalised it here in the past.

I know it's come up with The Young Bucks, and why they might not want Jay and Mark Briscoe hovering around. But I was thinking about Cody. He's been the best babyface on this thing, and he gets the big entrances and the Triple H-esque focus.

I don't want to be the guy that finds a way to trash Cody, lol, but what if he's not just towing company line with all the talk about buffets and such, and he deliberately wants everyone else to be a goof so that he can be the only serious babyface?

I'd like to think that Cody would do the best thing for the promotion if he were the one booking everything, but it's just something I've been pondering.
They're already getting paid. Things are starting to point in the not wanting to be overshadowed direction at this point. If Randy comes in, Cody isn't the best 2nd gen star anymore as well. They're making their friends look good

·
Registered
764 Posts

I’m pretty sure I mentioned that last week as to why the show wasn’t as “full”, so to speak.

“No one puts baby in the corner.”

·
Registered
441 Posts
Even Chad Gable. That guy is sooooo fucking good. Shit gimmick, but the guy is the second coming of Kurt Angle. You put that little freak out there against Okada and I guarantee you break Dave’s scale again. “I was in the Olympics, you just carried the torch.” Bam. Tokyo Dome main event once Chas Betts wins the G1 Climax and becomes only the second gaijin to do so.
wait what? u have to be trollin with this gable shit right?! second comin of angle lmao I died,seriously wtf?? angle is 10 fuckin cm taller than him,weighs more,has charisma and mic skills etc while gable is beyond bland,uncharismatic and boring, so shit gimmick for shit talent

161 - 180 of 188 Posts