Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
On JR's podcast today he was asked what the #1 thing AEW is looking for talent-wise right now. He said athletic big men, especially for heels. Thinks they might have too many faces right now.

Also was asked for his thoughts on Cornette. He said he and Cornette are still friends, he just thinks his criticisms are a bit too coarse. He said Cornette is saying what many people behind the scenes are also saying. Hopefully they keep improving. He also said he thinks there is too much overt criticism from people and they are well aware of their shortcomings behind the scenes. Great news. He agrees Cornette should come in and manage The Revival. Imagine THAT heat.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
No surprise that JR thinks similarly to Cornette. Arn Anderson would be the same. He takes a more "Well, the crowd likes it..." rationale to keep those paychecks coming. I'm sure it really is an old school/new school divide, with MJF probably falling on the old school side. Jericho's boys might fall that way too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought he was a bit too critical of the statistics, this week. Considering the singles stats refer to multi person matches, they don't tell the whole story. I agree with him about not showing the overall records.

He's spot on about AEW damaging PAC and Hangman Page. PAC in particular does not deserve to be 50-50'd. That's a major issue with the NJPW inspired no DQ, no count out approach. They should be uncommon but not rare. Had PAC been DQ'd against Moxley and walked out of the tag match against Kenny and Page, he'd be in a strong position to challenge for the world title.

Disagree with him about Rhio not going through the table. Going through is such a cliche that it looks more bad ass and real when they don't.

·
Registered
764 Posts
No surprise that JR thinks similarly to Cornette. Arn Anderson would be the same. He takes a more "Well, the crowd likes it..." rationale to keep those paychecks coming. I'm sure it really is an old school/new school divide, with MJF probably falling on the old school side. Jericho's boys might fall that way too.
So, JR only takes “well, the crowd likes it...” approach to keep the paychecks coming, but on air, he says things to keep his integrity, instead of selling the match like a commentator is supposed to do?

No. He is saying the crowd loves it, because the crowd loves it. He just hopes they can find a way to find some common ground whereas Cornette believes wrestling should be forever stuck in his 80s head.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
On JR's podcast today he was asked what the #1 thing AEW is looking for talent-wise right now. He said athletic big men, especially for heels. Thinks they might have too many faces right now.

Also was asked for his thoughts on Cornette. He said he and Cornette are still friends, he just thinks his criticisms are a bit too coarse. He said Cornette is saying what many people behind the scenes are also saying. Hopefully they keep improving. He also said he thinks there is too much overt criticism from people and they are well aware of their shortcomings behind the scenes. Great news. He agrees Cornette should come in and manage The Revival. Imagine THAT heat.
It's encouraging to hear that they're all self aware of the TV show they're making. When you have a mind set like that, you have shows like this weeks show. This weeks show was excellent.

AEW is hungry as hell. They're not always perfect, they're failing in ways that NXT does not, but they're clearly all open minded and self aware, and for me the high points vastly out weigh the lows.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I thought he was a bit too critical of the statistics, this week. Considering the singles stats refer to multi person matches, they don't tell the whole story. I agree with him about not showing the overall records.
If the stats don't tell you what is actually going on why have the fucking stats?

And why are there so many multi-person matches?

So, JR only takes “well, the crowd likes it...” approach to keep the paychecks coming, but on air, he says things to keep his integrity, instead of selling the match like a commentator is supposed to do?

No. He is saying the crowd loves it, because the crowd loves it. He just hopes they can find a way to find some common ground whereas Cornette believes wrestling should be forever stuck in his 80s head.
No, I meant that about Arn Anderson. But yes, JR is collecting a paycheck too. For every fan that creams their pants because Orange Cassidy does a tope with his hands in his pockets, there are one hundred who will think "What the fuck is this shit?" JR knows that and Double-A knows that. JR protects himself and Double-A says shit like "If you asked me a few years ago I'd have given you a different answer, but the fans love it." Which is code for "I hate this fucking shit, but I can't say I fucking hate it because I like getting paid by this money mark." It's very easy to find on YouTube. Look up "Arn Anderson Orange Cassidy" or whatever.

And you've jumped on the bullshit straw-man of Cornette being stuck in the 80s. Cornette thinks wrestling should be logical. That's when it draws. Says plenty of good things about modern wrestling that is logical. It's the silly bullshit that he hates, and that's why wrestling is in the gutter. And you admit that it's in the gutter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the stats don't tell you what is actually going on why have the fucking stats?

And why are there so many multi-person matches?

No, I meant that about Arn Anderson. But yes, JR is collecting a paycheck too. For every fan that creams their pants because Orange Cassidy does a tope with his hands in his pockets, there are one hundred who will think "What the fuck is this shit?" JR knows that and Double-A knows that. JR protects himself and Double-A says shit like "If you asked me a few years ago I'd have given you a different answer, but the fans love it." Which is code for "I hate this fucking shit, but I can't say I fucking hate it because I like getting paid by this money mark." It's very easy to find on YouTube. Look up "Arn Anderson Orange Cassidy" or whatever.

And you've jumped on the bullshit straw-man of Cornette being stuck in the 80s. Cornette thinks wrestling should be logical. That's when it draws. Says plenty of good things about modern wrestling that is logical. It's the silly bullshit that he hates, and that's why wrestling is in the gutter. And you admit that it's in the gutter.
I assume they were just trying to be different to WWE, who often have matches without rhyme and reason. Good intentions but I don't think it adds anything in a 'sport' filled with either DQs or multi person matches. They got rid of the former but forgot about the latter. Or found out how hard it is to protect your stars without using either multi person, cheap finish or jobbers.

They could have omitted the the multi persom matches but that wouldn't be more or less logical. Like a lot of little things, Khan and The Elite didn't think things through before the first PPV. Or don't think it matters in pro wrestling anymore.

181 - 188 of 188 Posts