Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No it doesnt.

Votes: 1 4.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm sure most of you will probably remember this saying that was not used just in Eric Bishoff book but in general 'Controversy creates Ca$h' so why does WWE not have more controversy in professional wrestling. Not only would it create more money which Vince obviously loves but it would gain more viewers, more publicity, more of a buzz among not only on the internet but casual fans and non-fans.

Now we dont have to go in controversy like Muhammad Hassan which obviously caused bad publicity due to religion which is taken very serious among people. But controversy in which leaves people talking and gains a sh*t load of viewers wanting to know more about what has happened. A recent example of this can be CM Punk promo which was caused alot of buzz due to the fact at the start people did not know whether it was a shoot or not.

Here are some examples of controversy which has happened over the years:

Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart - Montreal Screwjob

No one can obviously forget this. I remember watching it myself and thinking ' What the f*ck has just happened? ' when I saw Hart get screwed out of the WWF title to Michaels by Vince McMahon. No way in hell did I expect that to of happened. It was such a memorable moment and all these years later its still remembered as one of the most shocking/contriversial moments in WWE history. You'll never have something like this happen again but on WWE part it got alot of buzz for this incident.

Big Boss man hanging in the Hell in a Cell

Another contriversial moment that when I was younger I also watched when it was Bossman vs Taker. Was such an uneasy moment to watch and I was so young at the time I soaked this up and actually believed the guy got hanged. I'm pretty sure if this happened now it would create such a huge buzz maybe it would got bad publicity but hey controversy creates cash right? :rolleyes:

Here are some people videos I found which could be contriversial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYtDO5PPxU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9obJH5mCUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny75ciSI-44

Bad publicity, good publicity when something contriversial happens I could bet that it would create alot of buzz especially with forums which are so accesible these days especially professional wrestling fans which use sites like these. I mean Punk shoot promo got over 1.6 million views and got people so interested in WWE for a few months.

Does controversy create cash? would you like to see more contriversial moments back in the WWE? state your opinions if you wish :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have John cena fail a drug test and still let him compete. There is your controversy. A whole storyline can be made out of it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Controversy is fine, as long as you can distinguish between money making one and a full on retarded one, which by the looks of things, some posters here can't quite manage.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
I was gonna mention the live sex celebration, but if you think about it any great, star making moment in wrestling has had controversy. Stone Cold is the GOAT behind Hogan, he didn't get there by being Mr Straight-and-narrow.

Basically, controversy is good, except when it's bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Controversy is what makes the show feel more connected to reality. So it's much more believable. It's a good thing.

·
Banned
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lesnar and Cena alteration which landed in that punch to the face was quite contriversial. Some people claimed it was a punch that Lesnar purposely landed, some thought it was accidental. Moments liek these which cause speculation can create great moments.

Whats your favourite contriversial moments?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts