Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played Control by Remedy Entertainment? 3rd person shooter with psychic powers.

I just started. It's hard in strange ways. It has a very loose feeling, control-wise. You're very flexible in how you move around and jump on objects. But, there is no cover system which I'm 50/50 with. It would be another cover shooter with it, but the game is inconvenient at times without it. I have to keep ducking every time I pop out of cover to shoot or use a power.

It seems linear so far, which I've been dying for. I'm overwhelmed with open world, 30+ hour games. I don't feel the game hand holds you in which direction to go in, sort of because of the theme. I wouldn't mind a bit more of a pointer, but also kind of like how it does direct you where to go next. I'll know if I'm on board after I play a bit more.

I assume you get a second gun as I just unlocked another gun slot. I don't find the game hard so far, but I've beat the first boss and literally stood still shooting at it, ducking, shooting, ducking, repeat....It wasn't very creative. But, it's the first boss so I can be patient and hope it picks up.

It's pretty spooky, but no jump scares. Just the theme and atmosphere add some secret thriller vibes. I'm liking the game, but hoping something awesome happens soon to suck me in.

"infected" people float in mid air. I was walking down some steps which wrapped around a corner when I turned and ran into floating body and freaked the F out. :lol I think they placed the bodies in certain areas to catch you off guard, and I like that.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I played a good 10-12 hours before getting distracted with Borderlands 3. I intend to go back to it soon though. Its a pretty great game, always love the weird Lynchian atmosphere of Remedy games.

·
Premium Member
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I beat Control yesterday.

The ending is a top 5 worst video game endings of all time. At the least, they let you go back in and continue with side missions and whatever you want. Had it just ended and you need to reload your last checkpoint, it would be the worst ending ever. The ending comes out of nowhere, with no build or suggestion that "it's time to end this!" sort of rah rah charge. Not even a final boss, just a few waves of baddies. The story absolutely plummets in the last mission.

For the actual game though, it's very good. I mentioned I felt super weak and vulnerable at first (see top post), but as I progressed I got a hold of more powers and better understanding of how to use them within the environments. There are a few moments that were not designed well, but could have been much better had they included a button that snaps your view to whichever way the character is looking. That's a pretty common thing in 3rd persons, and it would have avoided many falling deaths.

The bosses, or lack of bosses, which a huge letdown. With the excellent gameplay, bosses should have been a huge part with special tactics to beat them. For the most part, there are multiple mini-bosses which is a bit of a beefed up regular guard with an extra rock shield. the very few actually designed bosses are hard because 1) lack of ability to snap the camera to whichever way you're looking 2) they summon waves of enemies. No hard bosses, just poorly designed bosses. It was shocking because some enemy encounters are legit hard with many enemies, them flanking, uses [bullshit] rockets - well designed. I feel 2 separate teams must have designed the bosses and enemies.

I would give it a 3/5, low 3. the ending and lack of bosses confused me, considering many other moments and things were well designed. Felt like the bosses were all designed on Friday at 4 pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts