Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard many myths about conservatives, stuff suck like...
1. -they're bitter and heartless.
2. -they're psychopatics/psychoticals.
3. -They boring.
4.- they're full-loaded or prejudices.

As I said before, these are just myths. I don't really know them. I got some uncleared fears and maybe I have the last trait.

Maybe this thread may be not taken serious, but I'm willing to ask if these and more myths are true or maybe I am wrong.

What's rare about this is how media talk about racism, for example, as if it was something exclusive of caucasian people, when that's the most sounded example. Not the only one, though.

Just I want to share facts about how does conservative live and compare them with myths. The target: change my mind and have a wider point of view than I've got currently.

May I lean on you?

·
Banned
2,427 Posts
as a general rule i think right wing principles are fueled by facts and left wing principles are fueled by feelings. that's not a blanket truth of course, there are plenty of irrational and unstable people that lean right, but that's my perception.

left wing principles are good in theory, but right wing principles is better in practice.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
as a general rule i think right wing principles are fueled by facts and left wing principles are fueled by feelings. that's not a blanket truth of course, there are plenty of irrational and unstable people that lean right, but that's my perception.

left wing principles are good in theory, but right wing principles is better in practice.
LOL simply not true. But good you are showing a constative myth Great job

there is a reason why when ever republicans are in charge they inflate the deficit and eventually kill the economy with crashes.

Its always the dems that have to fix it and put it back together.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
:thumbsup

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,995 Posts
Conservatives are selfish people, "society was good the way it was so why should it change", nevermind all the people who aren't cis-het, white, Christian males who were oppressed. To conservatives social status and economic mobility are a zero-sum game: "the more they get the more we lose" that's why you have Nazis chanting "Jews will not replace us" when WASPs outnumber Jews 50:1.

Conservatives are also happy to pay more money for lower quality, privatized health care just to ensure they don't have to pay for poor people. I know facts don't matter to conservatives anymore but the World Health Organization ranks the US 37th in quality of health care despite the fact that as a percentage of GDP the US is number 1 in healthcare costs, and this isn't a blame Obama thing, these numbers have been pretty consistent for the last several presidencies.

Conservatives will tell you that they don't want to pay taxes but they give more to charities than liberals, they don't tell you those are usually faith-based charities that serve limited communities; they're willing to give so long as the "right people" get the charity, taxes help everyone including the "wrong people".

The thing that makes conservatives the most selfish is their complete disregard for the environment. Now I'm no eco-warrior but to shrug at climate change and cut regulations, increase fracking, keep coal mines open, not charge carbon taxes, not mandate stack cleaners, allow dumping in our water, drill on native land and national wild parks, and just in general try to leave as shitty a planet for your grandchildren as possible, all in the name economic prosperity, that's probably the worst thing they do. Your hatred, your fear, your discrimination, that's only going to last as long as you're alive, but making the planet into Fury Road is going to last for generations.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
I've heard many myths about conservatives, stuff suck like...
1. -they're bitter and heartless.
2. -they're psychopatics/psychoticals.
3. -They boring.
4.- they're full-loaded or prejudices.

May I lean on you?
You certainly may lean on me good sir!

I'm not sure what to think about your post however. It's the first I've heard of a myth about Conservatives being clinically psychotic for example, or particularly bitter people. Could be just me but that sounds a tad OTT and strawman worthy.

Happy to accept they're boring and prejudiced :p.... just like we all are to certain extents however.

In closing.... :flair

We're all fucked.

·
Banned
2,427 Posts
Conservatives will tell you that they don't want to pay taxes but they give more to charities than liberals, they don't tell you those are usually faith-based charities that serve limited communities; they're willing to give so long as the "right people" get the charity, taxes help everyone including the "wrong people".
i don't know if that's true or not, but if it is that's an argument in favor of conservatives... not against.

·
16,995 Posts
i don't know if that's true or not, but if it is that's an argument in favor of conservatives... not against.
I don't know if it's true, it's a talking point they repeat a lot, but let's assume it is true, all charities aren't created equally, all charities don't serve the most vulnerable. To give a real-life example, my aunt's church has a charity and that charity mostly serves the community it's in, which is a mostly affluent suburb. The poorest people in that community are much better off than the average poor in the nearby city which they don't serve.

The Susan G Komen foundation is crooked as hell, but it's still technically a charity, if I give a bunch of money to them to get a big tax break I'm taking dollars that help every American away and giving it to an organization that basically only helps it's executives. I didn't help anyone but I get to say I gave x amount to charity look how noble I am.

·
Banned
2,427 Posts
I don't know if it's true, it's a talking point they repeat a lot, but let's assume it is true, all charities aren't created equally, all charities don't serve the most vulnerable. To give a real-life example, my aunt's church has a charity and that charity mostly serves the community it's in, which is a mostly affluent suburb. The poorest people in that community are much better off than the average poor in the nearby city which they don't serve.

The Susan G Komen foundation is crooked as hell, but it's still technically a charity, if I give a bunch of money to them to get a big tax break I'm taking dollars that help every American away and giving it to an organization that basically only helps it's executives. I didn't help anyone but I get to say I gave x amount to charity look how noble I am.
someone donating their own money to a cause, whether you agree with that cause or not, is still being more charitable than someone who isn't donating anything at all.

if we really are to assume that republicans donate more money in the name of charity than democrats, then that would suggest they are less selfish... not more.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,846 Posts
someone donating their own money to a cause, whether you agree with that cause or not, is still being more charitable than someone who isn't donating anything at all. if we really are to assume that republicans donate more money in the name of charity than democrats, then that would suggest they are less selfish... not more.

Taking money from your wallet and putting it in your purse isn't charity. You're intentionally missing a clearly made point.

·
16,995 Posts
someone donating their own money to a cause, whether you agree with that cause or not, is still being more charitable than someone who isn't donating anything at all.

if we really are to assume that republicans donate more money in the name of charity than democrats, then that would suggest they are less selfish... not more.
If I pay my 33% in taxes with no complaints and give say $500 in charity how would that make me more selfish than a person who pays 5% in taxes but gives $1500 in charity? Taxes don't count as charity but paying your taxes helps more people.

Do you look at giving in terms of absolute dollars or in percentages? If you give 20% of your $50,000 salary to charity and Jeff Bezos gives .001% of his $2,000,000,000 salary, yes he gave more in absolute dollars but does that make him less selfish?

·
Banned
2,427 Posts
If I pay my 33% in taxes with no complaints and give say $500 in charity how would that make me more selfish than a person who pays 5% in taxes but gives $1500 in charity? Taxes don't count as charity but paying your taxes helps more people.

Do you look at giving in terms of absolute dollars or in percentages? If you give 20% of your $50,000 salary to charity and Jeff Bezos gives .001% of his $2,000,000,000 salary, yes he gave more in absolute dollars but does that make him less selfish?
bolded for emphasis.

you hope to pay as little in taxes as humanly possible don't you? you hope to get a bigger refund every year don't you? you would rather pay less to the IRS if the option were made available right?

as for your example i would equate it with percentages, not total. but i don't know why you asked that question.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

Nice extreme examples there.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
This is EXTREMELY anecdotal and cannot be extrapolated across a population of $300 million. If we are strictly talking about generosity, of the people my age I know the ones who lean conservative tend to be more generous and the ones who lean hardest to the left are the least. I'd say 3/5 most generous people I know are conservative. The five least generous people I know are the five most left leaning people I know. Again, I can't say this is how things work in general it's just my experience to date.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,121 Posts
To answer OPs question.

The vast majority of conservatives are just normal people with different political beliefs. They're not heartless, they're not psychopaths, they're not crazy, they just have some different ideals, and it shouldn't define who they are as people. I absolutely hate with a passion when people suddenly get all bent out of shape and livid at all conservatives, as if somehow they're devils incarnate simply for having different opinions. The same goes for liberals or what have you.

There's a lot of stuff conservatives believe in which I disagree with, and some thing I think are way out to left field. But I don't hate them for it, what good does that do? There's too much goddamn hate between everybody, to not sound like a fucking hippy, but I wish we could actually have more honest conversations with one another. Maybe more shit would get done.

·
16,995 Posts
To answer OPs question.

The vast majority of conservatives are just normal people with different political beliefs. They're not heartless, they're not psychopaths, they're not crazy, they just have some different ideals, and it shouldn't define who they are as people. I absolutely hate with a passion when people suddenly get all bent out of shape and livid at all conservatives, as if somehow they're devils incarnate simply for having different opinions. The same goes for liberals or what have you.

There's a lot of stuff conservatives believe in which I disagree with, and some thing I think are way out to left field. But I don't hate them for it, what good does that do? There's too much goddamn hate between everybody, to not sound like a fucking hippy, but I wish we could actually have more honest conversations with one another. Maybe more shit would get done.
This is bullshit. People act like politics is a game and we're just friendly competitors. No! Your politics represent your core values. If you're a republican right now you support banning Muslims, locking children in cages, making legal immigration more difficult, banning transgendered people from the military, taking away health care from 23M people, cutting Social Security and Medicare, taking away abortion rights, and stealing disaster relief funds from California, Puerto Rico, and wherever the next disaster happens to build a wall. These aren't just "differing opinions" these are moral issues and where you stand on them determines the quality of person you are.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,345 Posts
This is bullshit. People act like politics is a game and we're just friendly competitors. No! Your politics represent your core values. If you're a republican right now you support banning Muslims, locking children in cages, making legal immigration more difficult, banning transgendered people from the military, taking away health care from 23M people, cutting Social Security and Medicare, taking away abortion rights, and stealing disaster relief funds from California, Puerto Rico, and wherever the next disaster happens to build a wall. These aren't just "differing opinions" these are moral issues and where you stand on them determines the quality of person you are.
good parody

1 - 20 of 125 Posts