Wrestling Forum banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I understand where the OP is going with this, but he reached a very different conclusion from me. Its not that Bryan cannot have a decent persona at all, its that simply his character really isn't doing much and just floating in the midcard with a goofy smile while having great matches; his character is just largely inconsequental floatsam in the grand scheme of things on RAW.

Its harder for more casual viewers to feel something either way in regards to Bryan simply because his character simply isn't DOING anything that could warrant eliciting emotion from the audience beyond some random good matches. I don't beleive for a second that the guy just doesn't have the persona to warrant his upper-midcard position, there just hasn't BEEN a reason for his more serious persona to come to life on the show.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
All this discussion on Bret's wearing of pink. One guy is saying because of Heart/Hart - and another is saying that Bret said it was because of the colours of the Canadian flag.

I think the first theory is a fabrication that has maybe stuck with people (not heard it myself), and the second is probably a story Bret conjoured up because it sounds better than the version he gives in his book.

In his book, he states that one night the wardrobe lady was like "I have some new tights for you and Jim to try on tonight" and they were bright pink - and he and Jim were like =\ but they wore them that night and Vince loved the look and told them "From now on, you'll always wear pink!"

He has more reason to make up a story at a big speech than in his book, so I'm betting the unglamorous truth of it was the wardrobe lady making them wear some pink tights she came up with and it sticking.

·
Stopping The Show
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
This forum don't know the first thing about marketability. Once WWE sets things in motion, everyone here would follow suit. That has always been the pattern here.
yeah but if having possibly your most talented wrestler bouncing around in mid card matches and giving him no chance to show other qaulities apart from his ring skills, is what they're showing us. then it is just encouraging the next gen of wrestlers to concentrate on looking cool and spouting cool lines and putting there ring skills as a second priority.

They should be trying to make this guy a star and wanting the next lot to be the total package too, and not just more mouthpieces with average ability in the ring (miz).

And if they are really trying to push him with this whole average guy thing, then hopefully when it doesnt catch on, they have a back up plan for him and dont just give up on him.

I would like to think that my conflictions and many others by the look of things is done to poor booking and not anything lacking on his own part, but i just dont wanna see another talent go to waste to be fed another mouthy mediocre wrestler.

·
Harley's Circus
2,565 Posts
I believe Vince is trying to get away from the roided up monster look
You would think the fans could at least appreciate that a bit

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
i think he looked better with longer hair and the boxer robe. looked badass actually.

·
Offto Club?
1,275 Posts
Are anyone else have a real problem liking him ? he is fanastic in the ring and any time i watch him, i really wanna like the guy but theres just something off about him.

He wresltes like a main eventer, but looks and talks like someone i'd pay 5 pounds to see wrestle at my local town hall, i can see that being an appealing thing for some that he aint like all the other wrestlers and is focused on his matches and not on his image...

anyone else wanting to like the guy but struggling because of his lack of everything else except ring skills ?
Thats what they want you to think about him. His current gimmick is a nerd/looser who happens to be awesome at wrestling. Sooner or later he will come into his element and show us his charisma and mic skills that we all know he's got.

·
"MINUS FIVE STARS"
1,858 Posts
Michael Cole has more personality that Daniel Bryan right now. I like to watch him wrestle, but if he doesn't do something soon, he will quickly fade into obscurity in the WWE Universe like many other superstars before him.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't see it. He's a very plain looking guy to me. And the fact that his color choice was pink (and took pride in it no less) is an automatic major subtraction.
Bret Hart was one of the most charasmatic stars the WWF/WWE ever had. It wasn't an over the top charisma but it was as strong if not stronger than anybody else's charisma. That's why he has such devoted fans.

The fact that he wore pink with black and took pride in it is a MAJOR reason on why he ruled.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I dunno... I keep waiting for the 'real' Daniel Bryan / Bryan Danielson to show up, but it hasn't happened yet. I realize they haven't done much with him, given the whole Nexus focus (Why not have Otunga or Slater or McGillislutty be pissed that the jabroni they fired from the Nexus is the current US champion while poor lil' Wadey-Poo isn't world champ yet, and have a feud going there? Hmmmm? At least bring the US Title into the Nexus picture, for Pete's sake. Isn't this supposed to be the Horsemen / Evolution of this generation? Why wouldn't they want to have posession of ALL the gold in their camp?!)

As for Cole bitching, all that makes me want to see is Bryan choke his ass out legit and put him in the hospital. Cole's a fucktwat who doesn't even deserve to be employed by the WWE.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm going to sound like a complete lunatic when I say this, but unless they change his theme music, his popularity is going to slowly, slowly wane. Each time he comes out to that theme, he's losing 0.0000000000499% popularity. Hardly a measurable number. Trust me on this, if you have the means to, go back and watch EVERY single instance of him coming out to that theme, and you'll see that my ridiculous percentage I postulated is probably not too far from the truth. In laymen's terms? His pops get worse each time.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Are anyone else have a real problem liking him ? he is fanastic in the ring and any time i watch him, i really wanna like the guy but there's just something off about him.

He wresltes like a main eventer, but looks and talks like someone i'd pay 5 pounds to see wrestle at my local town hall, i can see that being an appealing thing for some that he aint like all the other wrestlers and is focused on his matches and not on his image...

anyone else wanting to like the guy but struggling because of his lack of everything else except ring skills ?
To you and all the other unfamiliar doubters of his charisma, mic skills, personality, overness, etc., I urge you to find as much of his ROH and Indy work as you can. The man is very good on the mic, and has a ton of personality. This "Daniel Bryan" is about 1/10th the monster Bryan "American Dragon" Danielson was. He's pretty watered down in the E--whether that's a deliberate angle geared toward a slow character build, or just how they're booking him ATM I dunno.

But don't give up on DB. He's got the goods in all areas, IMO and many others'. Look him up in his pre-E days, or just wait it out. I guarantee he'll be one of the biggest stars in the company within a year.

·
Harley's Circus
2,565 Posts
I laugh at the people who hate his theme music, They must have hated Randy Savage and Ric Flair too.
The only real problem I have with Danielson so far is that hes the generic face and not the edgy face whos out to prove something like he was on NXT.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Hard time liking him? He's not telling corny PG jokes nor is he getting pushed down my throat for no reason. He's one of the best things on Raw right now. This is funny though. The same whining eventually commenced about Punk after he got over and wasn't on the mic as a face. Oh how things have changed now that he's a smart mouthed heel who smarks bow down to now.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
I like him because everytime he comes out we know we're gonna get an effort. Most wrestlers don't give a fuck about putting on a great match. DB does.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
They need to change his music to the Imperial March, I can't quite find the words to explain why, but it seems to fit him a lot better than the one he uses now. It's nerdy, but when you hear that music in the Star Wars movies, you know the baddest motherfucker is coming.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
They need to change his music to the Imperial March, I can't quite find the words to explain why, but it seems to fit him a lot better than the one he uses now. It's nerdy, but when you hear that music in the Star Wars movies, you know the baddest motherfucker is coming.
Clones of Boba Fett's headless dad?:confused: :p

·
He's from Winnipeg you idiots!
433 Posts
I like how he is just being himself when he is on tv. I think he might need a theme change, I like his theme but I don't know if it will catch on. Classical music worked for an oldschool guy like Flair but this is a different time.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
His gimmick is anti-superstar pro wrestler. He is following his gimmick.

And talking about his theme, Bryan always has had some themes that seems odd to him or the crowd, so this one fits him.

But this thread is a good picture of the difference between Indy Fans and Main Stream Fans. I watch both, but prefer indys because i dont give a damn about catchphrases or special trademark things in the entrance.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts