32,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,561
nvm

RetepAdam. said:
Seabs said:
Seabs said:
RetepAdam. said:
Seabs said:
If everyone submits for the end of the month then you can all have shop access (aka a coloured username). If one of you doesn't then nobody gets it.

:woo
I'll get my judging in without much trouble, but I haven't done any of my actual essay yet. Have other priorities to take care of and have been sick for the past three weeks. (Just started on antibiotics today. Hooray.)

Curry told me last night to ask for an extension, so I guess I'll ask for an extension. I'm doing a scouting report that I should be done with by the end of tonight (again, priorities) and then once I've gotten a good night sleep, I can probably start working on my TDL and have it done by Friday/Saturday. These things don't generally take me that long to do.

If that's all right with you.
Have you submitted yet? :fingerscrossed
:confused:
Don't worry about a replacement. I'll do the damn thing. I've just had other stuff going on and I'm exhausted from being on antibiotics and I hate this topic and I think I'll probably lose, so this is like homework for me. That's why I've been putting it off. Because as much as this is supposed to be fun and challenging, I derive no joy nor competitive fire from this debate. It's just shit I have to do.

But it's unfair to everyone involved to keep them waiting this long, and it would be even more unfair to no-show entirely, so I'll do it. It's 12:45 PM right now. I need to run an errand real quick and then I'll be able to start writing. I'll probably be interrupted before I finish by my class that runs from 6-8 PM. After that, I'll come back and finish up. I'll have it in to Poyser before I go to sleep. And I still plan on having my judging in before the end of the month. Sorry to keep you waiting.

(P.S. The stuff about it not being fun doesn't apply to every card. This one in particular has just been really hard to get up for, all things considered. You're doing a great job.)

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,562
TDL 40: UNDERDOG --> DEFINE --> A PERSON THOUGHT TO HAVE LITTLE CHANCE OF WINNING
banner to come

TDL Wrestling Division Special Attraction Match
Anark vs CGS

Was Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar vs Dean Ambrose the best possible choice of main event for Fast Lane 2016?

Judges:
Seabs
Rigby
Curry

Seabs vs sharkboy22

Was the 2016 Royal Rumble a well booked match?

Judges:
Rigby
Anark
JustJoel

Rigby vs Devante Swing

Did ECW have a net positive or negative impact on the wrestling industry?

Judges:
Seabs
ZOMBO
CGS

TDL Sports Division Title Tournament Quarter Final Match
TDL Sports Division Championship Match
RetepAdam. vs TKOK

Should Damian Lillard be a 2016 NBA All Star?

Judges:
Seabs
Joel
Devante Swing

JM vs Stax Classic

Should (pick one of Dirk Nowitzki/Pau Gasol) be a 2016 NBA All Star?

Judges:
Seabs
Joel
Devante Swing

Curry vs Fighter Daron

Were Chelsea right to sack Jose Mourinho?

Judges:
Seabs
Anark
CGS

Magic vs Joff

Did Calvin Johnson do enough in his career to make the NFL Hall of Fame?

Judges:
RetepAdam.
Headliner
Devante Swing

Poyser vs A-C-P
Which was the better rivalry in 2015, Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens vs John Cena?

Judges:
Seabs
JustJoel
Curry

JustJoel vs KILL V. Oxi vs Donnie
Were The Rock's promo with Lana on Raw and Ric Flair "kissing" Becky Lynch at the Royal Rumble evidence of WWE degrading women on TV?

Judges:
Seabs
Anark
Curry

Woo-Woo-Woo vs cazwell vs Daggdag
Is Brock Lesnar & Undertaker vs The Wyatts (however many in the match) in a tag match the best possible use of Brock and Undertaker at Wrestlemania 32?

Judges:
CGS
Anark
JustJoel

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,563
AryaAnark said:
I did until very recently have every intention of making a go of it in the wrestling division to see if I could manufacture a run at your title at some point, even if my first effort is a bit crap (though not as crap as CGS’ :side: ). And yes, my original plan was to annoy the fuck out of you until you just gave me a match for it to shut me up. That shit works surprisingly well in TDL. However, I’ve had a lot more work confirmed for the next couple of months at least so I’m clearing my plate entirely. My work involves a lot of writing so usually when I’m busy the last thing I want to do for fun is write even more.

The actual bad news is that I want to sign off from judging as well, so my apologies for that. I’ll also resign the title as I shouldn’t keep it if I’m not defending it. Plus having the field open again might inject some excitement back into the Social division (which is kinda drab right now), or at the very least Gothic will get to be champ for a while. Maybe you can make a big thing of crowning a new champion.

Anyway, I’ll still be popping on here fairly regularly so if I want back in then I’ll let you know, and feel free to ask for anything, just be prepared for me to say NO, MANS IS BIZZY YO. It’s possible I’ll be gone for a bit and then get the bug for it again in a few cards time, plus if you come up with some interesting questions then I might offer my services as a judge as a one or two-off, though do consider me out of action unless I say so.

Anyway, I’ll probably see you in the cb during the footy etc. Thanks for putting up with my shit. I almost felt emotional writing this.
:downing

·
Zombo
8,771 Posts
Fuck. I wish I could commit to coming back and making a social run myself or something. But fuck, if it's anything I require actual research for, my schedule ain't going to allow it. This is a hit... but it would be nice if GB can ascend to the top now. She's the best we've got in that division.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,565
I'm not even sure how full time she is tbh. When she was on the last card it was kind of a show by show see how it goes thing. She did offer to be a fill in this card though so fingers crossed. Otherwise we might end up with PAT as a Champion. Dear god. Seriously considered calling it a day when I got that PM from Anark but I guess it sucks for the people still into it even though they're just not great. At least Sports has 3 great debaters and I have Rigby to challenge me. Then maybe hopefully some of the lost greats decide to make a one off cameo down the road. I might just focus on tag debates like every other card now and partner up with guys like Poyser/JustJoel in the hopes something rubs off on them and bumps them up to our level.

·
Zombo
8,771 Posts
Yeah, that's a smart idea in terms of trying to show the midcarders with potential the way of attacking the question in order to (hopefully) elevate them.

We could have a debate between the two of us on the topic of "who would be most insufferable as a champion: TAT or Rugrat?"

We would both win for selecting "both".

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,572
This was the point I was trying to make at the start of the year about the awards that I think went over everyone's heads. I'll get to them at some point even if it might take a while.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,573
I think we might be done for now. Anyone who was anyone is pretty much out now. Anark is out and Social is basically dead. Retep has been MIA all week after I let him and Magic choose their own topic on top of pissing on the deadline for the last 2 cards. Nobody is even doing the banners anymore. It's been nearly a week since I posted the results minus another card and nobody has said anything (based on the results thread and a cb search). The activity in the section is pretty dead too. Plus with all the time that Judging takes it's not really worth it for so little. Hiatus pending a reason for a revival imo.

·
Zombo
8,771 Posts
I agree tbh. And I have LOVED TDL. I can't stress it enough. My favourite part of this forum in the 6 years I've been here. But.... even I don't really care at the present time to debate, or even judge, really. It's more "work" than "fun", if that makes sense. Maybe it's just a busier personal life (more on that later, in another post....) but I'm with the hiatus idea. I was honestly thinking "I hope another card doesn't go up too soon, because I don't feel like judging again" - and I only had ONE match to judge last card! I dunno. I feel bad. But these are my real thoughts.

·
BLACK MARKET SMILIES
5,431 Posts
Well I'm not going to lie, this was inevitable.

Good effort trying to keep this going Seabs, but unfortunately you can't force people to be interested. The nature of noveltys like these is that the buzz of it will only ever last so long, which means it can only keep going if you have a constantly revolving door, with enough new quality debaters coming in to replace the bored and apathetic ones. The barrel has been well and truly scraped over the last few shows.

Just do one more supercard and announce it as the last one, unless interest picks up in the future. You might be able to pull in enough great debaters for a one off last hurrah.

It's a shame that the sports tournament won't receive a proper conclusion.

·
BLACK MARKET SMILIES
5,431 Posts
Or actually you could make the tournament end in a four way (three way if Retep is truly Mia). That would work.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,577
I think it's better to just go on an immediate hiatus and leave it open for a return of some sort later down the line. Maybe a one off supercard in the summer if the right people want to participate. Or look at just doing something 3-4 times a year.

It was on the cards at the start of the year when I first contemplated it but I wanted to give it one more go in the hope something would catch fire. But even with good debaters still around the activity is even low and the quality of the Judging was getting too shoddy too often. Anark having to sign out was basically the final straw for the obvious reasons but also because it basically left us with so few decent judges or enough judges to handle a whole cards worth of judging between them.

I'll make a thread later informing everyone who still cares :)mj2) and see where people take it from there.

·
Zombo
8,771 Posts
Agree with each of your comments. You gave it a hell of a go Seabs. A multiple-year strong run, bringing together some of the very best people on this site. It's just a matter of the old guard getting busier with life (TLK, Clique, Andre, Anark, myself, Evolution, Headliner, Aid, even you) and not enough younger guys truly ready to step up (Curry, ??) - despite some of the younger guys who THINK they're ready to step up (Rugrat, TAT). Lack of quality judges hurts, as nothing is more discouraging than inconsistent results / feedback. I truly think there will be a place for TDL on here again someday, but it's best to let it rest awhile I suppose.

It has been a pleasure! Thanks again for running this Seabsy, and all of the hours and effort you put into this to make it such a success, and I mean that sincerely.

1561 - 1578 of 1578 Posts