Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's difficult.

I think the Bryan-Lesnar match was built better, but AJ Styles offense brings something else to the table.
The lack of build kills these matches anyway.

I actually don't know what match to chose, but I'll go with Bryan match because it's fresher in my mind

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,098 Posts
Now, both matches had the parts where Brock dominated, which were necessary even if you don't want to admit it.
They weren't necessary at all. Effective, yes. Good choices, sure. But not necessary.

With that said, I have nothing against them going that direction. My only issue is with the way they did it in the match with Bryan.

·
Baby Yoda
29,858 Posts
Preferred AJ's match, they were too similar in layout but Bryan's had more fuckery and felt the early beat down was drawn out too long, to the point fans started to turn on the match and it got boring. It's difficult for someone like me to care about Bryan getting squashed when he turned on Tuesday, I wanted Brock to wrap it up and he could have but wanted to punish Bryan more.

Could be different if I saw it the other way around, seeing essentially the same match the same time around hurt it, if AJ was the second match with the same structure it would of had that issue.

With how similar the matches were it makes me think it was Heyman who laid out both matches.

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
I'll have to go back and rewatch the AJ match, because I only remember the ending.

A few things irked me about Bryan's match, but they didn't detract enormously from my overall enjoyment.

1) Brock's sequence of suplexes could've shaved off 5 minutes; Nevermind the fact that Bryan looked like he landed badly on the first one which made me cringe, but the fans were CLEARLY getting annoyed because the ragdolling felt like an eternity with Bryan looking like a fan that got plucked out of the crowd and victimized. There came a point where the message was clear and they were stepping over the line of redundancy.

2) The little kicks to Brock's head before Bryan's big comeback sequence: Look, the guy looked like he just got ran over by a truck twice, and you're meaning to tell me that 2 small taps to the forehead is going to restrain the beast? They definitely could've went with something a bit more realistic because that kinda took me out of the emersion.

3) The commentary was ass. Seriously, could they have done an even better job to drive the point home that Bryan didn't belong in the ring with Brock? I mean fuck, at certain points I almost felt guilty watching the match with how concerned the commentators sounded. That's not the perception that I want to have in regards to the WWE champion of all people.

Otherwise it was a tremendous effort with superb selling. I have my own opinions about following up a massive heel turn with a match structured for an underdog babyface (Bryan even hulked up during the match), but that's a bitch for another time because it falls more on creative's poor timing in turning him days before facing another top heel.

·
Registered
24,530 Posts
They weren't necessary at all. Effective, yes. Good choices, sure. But not necessary.

With that said, I have nothing against them going that direction. My only issue is with the way they did it in the match with Bryan.
They were necessary when you've had Brock destroy guys like Cena even worse than that. And when you're in there with smaller guys like AJ and Bryan, you have to go in that direction, IMO.

Plus, I believe they were necessary to create the kind of comeback that eventually came to life.

Sure, they could have done it other ways. Other ways that would have worked. But none of them would be as effective as this. Because you put that doubt in people's minds only to pull a 180 to where the fans are at a fever pitch.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
The AJ match was a little tighter and the story was better executed imo. AJ weathering a storm of Brock unleashing hell and striking as SOON as he saw the opening (Brock missing the corner knee) is a better version Bryan kicking Brock in the dick and taking advantage of that.

I know Bryan's the heel and it makes sense, but AJ displaying ALL that fire to fight this unstoppable monster makes a better match imo, than a cheating little shit trying to win anyway he can.

AJ vs Brock ****1/2

Bryan vs Brock ***3/4

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
I thought the Styles match was fun at points but massively overrated, which I generally feel about Styles and his matches tbh.

I absolutely loved the Dbry match, but I'm Dbry mark and it was my dream match.

I'm sure objectively they're both good.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,403 Posts
I'm just glad we actually got both and they each turned out as good as they did.

I need to watch the Bryan match again, but I'd prob go with the AJ match at the current time. As much as I loved Brock ragdolling Bryan around and how Bryan sold that shit, I thought the first portion of the AJ match was a bit better in that regard in terms of variation.

But I always Brock busting out the belly to bellys and in both they were awesome to see.

But as I say, I'll rewatch both matches soon though.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I enjoyed both of them, but I thought the one with Styles was a lot better. Lesnar got the better of Styles early on, but Styles looked competitive. With Bryan he fucking destroyed him for the first 5 or 10 minutes and could have won until he decided he wanted to torture Bryan some more. I suppose you could argue that Bryan's dicking around at the start of the match was the goad Lesnar into making exactly such a mistake and it was clever strategy.

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,098 Posts
They were necessary when you've had Brock destroy guys like Cena even worse than that. And when you're in there with smaller guys like AJ and Bryan, you have to go in that direction, IMO.
Not really.

You can easily play the "catching him off guard" game if you wanted to. Maybe not with Styles because he's a face and all, but there's so much you can do in that scenario with Bryan. Hell, just a simple low blow before the bell even rings is enough to give him the advantage right away.

Edit: Part of me is wondering if I should have included CM Punk's match with Lesnar as well in this, despite the time difference being so great. His match with Lesnar was also critcially acclaimed and I think it's a lot closer between his match and AJ's compared to Bryan's, who had a whole star difference.

But then again, it wouldn't matter, because I already know that I like Punk's match more. To me that's a five star contest and is still without question Lesnar's best match since returning to the WWE.

·
Premium Member
44,048 Posts
Well both matches are structured almost exactly the same.

The problem with the Bryan match is that by this point, the Suplex City stuff felt really played out and stale, so the 1st half of the match dragged a bit. Maybe it would have worked if they played up Bryan's almost career ending injuries, but with so little time to build the match, that part of the story didn't really come into play.

So I guess I liked the AJ match more since it was done before Brock's act got old.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Can we add a poll

I'll go with Bryan just, especially seeing as it was thrown together in like 5 days

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,111 Posts
Quite easily Bryan for me.

I felt that the storytelling was better, and the match felt more competitive than AJ's match. I'm not sure if that was actually the case, but I came out of the match feeling like Bryan gave Brock more of a fight.

·
Baby Yoda
29,858 Posts
Quite easily Bryan for me.

I felt that the storytelling was better, and the match felt more competitive than AJ's match. I'm not sure if that was actually the case, but I came out of the match feeling like Bryan gave Brock more of a fight.
Agree to disagree, Brock killed Bryan for 10 mins and had the match won really early on after the F5. He had landed one strike up until the F5 and pin and I don't even think it landed, I think Brock avoided it or it didn't connect.

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,098 Posts
Agree to disagree, Brock killed Bryan for 10 mins and had the match won really early on after the F5. He had landed one strike up until the F5 and pin and I don't even think it landed, I think Brock avoided it or it didn't connect.
Why did you edit the rest of your post?

21 - 40 of 246 Posts