Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
He certainly didn't help put Bryan over in the match but then if Bryan had an ounce of Charisma maybe i'd care more about the match than what Cole is saying. Seriously, Bryan has been the US champ for months now, has buried every contender he's faced and still gets absolute silence. Cole was doing his job burying him.

· Registered
4,669 Posts
He certainly didn't help put Bryan over in the match but then if Bryan had an ounce of Charisma maybe i'd care more about the match than what Cole is saying. Seriously, Bryan has been the US champ for months now, has buried every contender he's faced and still gets absolute silence. Cole was doing his job burying him.
Absolute silence = loud "Daniel Bryan" chants?

· Harley's Circus
2,591 Posts
I couldn't care less how bad of an announcer he is, he's absolutely hilarious. I hope he keeps doing this forever.
Hes entertaining but he serves no purpose since hes essentially sucking at what hes supposed to be doing which is calling the match. Whenever he spends upwards of whole minutes ignoring whats going on in the ring to be obnoxious its not entertaining anymore its stupid. Hes ignoring his job to push his character in the wrong setting. Then once we get to the main event he flip flops back into a face and has the play up for the favorites.

I think the problem is the WWE has him doing too much, instead of Jerry Lawler leaving they should have Micheal Cole's role scaled back to just NXT commentary and backstage interviews.

· Registered
988 Posts
It's a character he's portraying and besides, he's being fed a lot of that stuff in his ear before he even says anything. There's narratives to follow as per the WWE writers. Most if not all of the things he says and does out there is pre-production and written in very in depth detail. The WWE is known for their overly extensive writing even in regards to the announcers. I know back in the WCW, the announcers were basically free lance, but even back during the wars, the WWF guys were still being fed liners from Vinnie Mac and other writers backstage. I've met Michael Cole and the man is a very nice guy who took his time to have an extensive conversation with me about various wrestling topics back in 2004.

· Registered
12,139 Posts
theyve taken it way to far. he is yelling screaming taking away from the matches. him and alex riley ruined the miz bryan match
Exactly.. hes killing the matches.. its not like hes announcing matching.. he just kills the matches.. In all of the mid-card matches all he talks about is himself and pauses for the pinfalls, but then continues talking about himself or the miz or lawler.. fuck him.. the commentary is dead on raw.

He should be managing the Miz.. Its not like hes not already.. but atleast being Miz's manager or just calling Miz's matches. That would give him a specific time to suck up to miz.. Hes doing that almost the entire show right now. Thats annoying.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
All the time he is on PBP, his whole shtick is counter-productive to the product. The babyfaces are getting absolutely crapped on by the show's main broadcast voice, and the point of a heel is being diluted - even in this, the day of the anti-hero and heels being revered.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Cole has undoubtedly jumped the shark.

He doesn't understand that sometimes less is more and in two of the matches, he dragged so much of the attention away from the match and onto him (nothing should be more important than the match) and he wasn't just critical of the faces, he completely buried them

The best heel commentators like Ventura, Heenan, Lawler and JBL always put the faces over as competitors, as worth watching and sold them while showing obvious bias against the things they did in the storyline or due to their personal history with them to make it work.

Cole and Matthews were laughing over, not calling and patronising a divas title match. Now if anyone has automatically jumped to the unthinking position of "it's the divas, who cares?", save it for SexistOnline. This is a title match and it should be treated with respect. It doesn't matter what you think of the match, I think of the match or Cole thinks of the match. Cole treats it as though it's not worth watching which is disrespectful to anyone to puts their body on the line out there. And he went beyond just being critical of Natalya, he completely buried her by saying he hopes she's out of the title hunt, ie we shouldn't really want to see her. And Matthews reaction was off too. If this did come from backstage, it's a disgrace.

And obviously, as people have mentioned, Bryan v Miz sucked thanks to Cole and Riley who's commentary was taking away from the match. The commentator should never be the main focus of a match. Because Cole doesn't know how and isn't being told how to do subtlety or how to vary his act up, his continuous attempts at drawing attention to himself killed the match.

Also, the worst bit was when he said that he uses Bryan's matches as a cure for insomnia. This was way too far and one of the worst things he could have said about the guy. It goes beyond being the annoying heel and hence, putting him over as a face, it was the voice of the WWE saying that the US Champion isn't worth watching, that his matches are not worth seeing. He buried him as an in-ring competitor which is something that should never ever be done whether you're The Great Khali or Bret Hart in his hey-day.

Management should have realised this and if they have done and aren't doing anything, it's a disgrace and they need to tell Cole to stop trying so hard, stop taking focus away from the match and to commentate properly. His heat is nuclear as it is, he's only second to Vickie Guerrero.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Whatever he and Matthews though they were doing during the divas match, sanctioned or not, it came across as incredibly disrespectful and childish, compounded by the match actually being pretty great. I generally pay no attention to divas matches because they're such a joke what with the promos models wrestling and the girls with actual talent generally being relegated to meaningless valet roles, but I was watching in disbelief as they hammered it home again and again that the divas aren't worth watching with their idiotic commentary and unnecessary blasting of Natalya (which was beyond ridiculous and I hope she found out and kicked crap out of both of them later!) They're wrestling commentators, they're supposed to sell the product not bury it.
Cole isn't a natural commentator, it's all a bit forced. While I don't expect there to be another JR in the WWE any time soon, a little finesse wouldn't kill them. This new heel Cole with his raging hard-on for Miz and Riley is beyond pathetic now. Back in the day King loved all the heels, not a select few, and it worked. Granted he was a lot better at his job back then than Cole could ever hope to be, but still, if Cole worked along those lines it might not suck quite so much.
As it is he seriously detracts from the product every time he opens that hole in his face. JR got 'over the top' excited all the time, but it never detracted from the show, it only ever enhanced it.
I'm disappointed in Matthews too, because I was a fan of his before tonight, but he got sucked into the stupidity like a little child.

· Registered
5,133 Posts
How the hell can anybody argue that Cole takes all of their attention and distract from a match when Jim fucking Ross did that shit all of the time with him shouting at the top of his goddamn lungs shit three times in a row? Besides that, if listening someone distracts you from watching something, you have issues.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
How the hell can anybody argue that Cole takes all of their attention and distract from a match when Jim fucking Ross did that shit all of the time with him shouting at the top of his goddamn lungs shit three times in a row? Besides that, if listening someone distracts you from watching something, you have issues.
JR was marking out with you, and his shouting never detracted from the product once for me.
If you didn't find the shit those two carried on with distracting then kudos to you, although I suspect you may be autistic if you managed to block them out like that. All they did was giggle like teenage girls and make inane comments that had absolutely nothing to do with the matches that were going on, and in the case of the divas match they were flat out derogatory and disrespectful. It's all well and good for them to sit there and make out like it's not worth watching the divas but neither of them could do any of the things Natalya and Eve did in the ring and they ought to acknowledge the skill it takes if nothing else.
For Christ sake, the camera was on them as much as it was on Miz vs Bryan, as if hearing them isn't bad enough.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Wow. Because JR was calling the match whilst shouting. He was adding an element of drama, urgency, and was ultimately putting the match and the competitors at that time over.

Cole is taking away from the match by talking about anything but the match. And I'm sorry... but if you have your play-by-play guy ripping apart talent, including dismissing a title match in progress (don't care whether it's the Butterfly Belt or the WWE Title) and saying that the best pure wrestler in the WWE today is something an insomniac should be thankful for - WHILST they're competing in a great match - if you think that's not an issue, then you've the problem.

It's the same as having someone beside you yabbering in your ear while you're trying to watch TV. It undersells and devalues the importance of a match, which goes against everything a play-by-play guy should represent.

· Registered
5,133 Posts
I did miss most of the Divas match, saw everything else though and I really don't have a problem with what's being said during a match distracting me because I can watch 1 thing and listen to another regardless if they're related as long as the match is entertaining.

I really think they're over doing him for a King vs. Cole match, they're really building up the heat for Cole and everyone wants to see him get his ass whooped, especially by King. I thinking after WM, Cole's going to be quite humbled after a good absence.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
It's not just a case of watching one thing and listening to another... it's the fact that he is tearing matches and competitors apart, it's the worst crime you can commit. I don't need Cole to tell me when something is good or bad, but unfortunately he has been given the platform to elevate or bury who we see on screen.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.